Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok, basically i got really bad grades (CDDDD) and well i have to complete my application form for uni, but if i include these grades and apply for a course offering AAA-BBB, then will they just decline me?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what course and the uni. If your personal statement is good and teachers reference, then they may give you an offer. But as I say, the actual course is very important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rt6)
    Depends what course and the uni. If your personal statement is good and teachers reference, then they may give you an offer. But as I say, the actual course is very important.
    Psychology

ReputationRep:
    That's quite a competitive course and very popular isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Ring your university and accept the one you want, then they will tell you wether they are taking you on, i got miserable grades aswell and suprisingly i've been accepted, they'll send you a letter of confirmation and i think thats that, though am i right in thinking if they said that their giving me an unconditional offer then i'm definitely in :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexysax)
    That's quite a competitive course and very popular isn't it?
    yep, and since i have to include these grades, i dont think they will even consider me!

ReputationRep:
    You could try applying for those courses that want AAA-BBB. I would extend the it to AAA-BBC or AAA-BCC. Apply to a variety of universities wanting different grades.

I was kind of in a similar situation when I was doing AS levels. I wanted to apply to a university that wants 240 points, but I was predicted 160 points. I still got a conditional offer from them. I declined them as I didn't want to go to that university.

ReputationRep:
    But you don't need to "cash in" your AS grades if you want to re-sit modules and imporve your grades, hence you don't put them on your UCAS form. This is correct is it not? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Why are you thinking about applying for courses which require AAA, when you got Ds at AS level?
    A2 is much harder, so your grades may not be able to be lifted so much.
    It sounds harsh, but its worth being realistic to avoid to much disapointment.

Also, your predicted grades are heavily based on your AS levels, which matter alot for university entry. I hope your on the good side of your teachers!

ReputationRep:
    You might have to look for what I call good value universities, these are universities with solid reputations but in a not so popular location, so demand might be lower. For example they may be little point on applying for Manchester becuase they are being very strict about grades these days, but you might find Lancaster a bit easier to get into.

I would also check the clearing lists to see what grades you need. If you have no luck then you have a choice ever resit or be less picky about where you want to go. You could even transfer when it comes to your second year, I few people at Bolton who did really badly at A levels managed to get good results in their first year so my course let them into the second year despite not having enough A levels. Doing this is risky though so I suppose you need assume you're going some where for three years.

With those grades it sounds like you have taken on too many A levels. You have good UCAS points there but most universities will say at least three C's at A2 or somthing like that have to be included in the points.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do the same too i got e-chemsitry which is terrible as i was predicted a B but a a in psychology and b in biology. DO i have to put these grades on the ucas form as im resiting 2 mods in chem n 1 mod in biology. Does the universitys know that i will have resited some modules

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by znicz)
    I want to do the same too i got e-chemsitry which is terrible as i was predicted a B but a a in psychology and b in biology. DO i have to put these grades on the ucas form as im resiting 2 mods in chem n 1 mod in biology. Does the universitys know that i will have resited some modules
    It's optional to put them on the UCAS form, just decline it if you don't want to put it. I got an E at AS for one of my subjects, I declined my grade and resat a 2 modules and therefore didn't put it on my application form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster)
    But you don't need to "cash in" your AS grades if you want to re-sit modules and imporve your grades, hence you don't put them on your UCAS form. This is correct is it not? :confused:
    :ditto: If you cash them then just decline all of them! If you got good GCSEs results that would be enough!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.