Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge Letters this morning! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    Offer! AAB + 1:1 on STEP 2,3 for maths at Trin. Now I've got to slave over Step 3 papers. Congrats to anyone else who got an offer, commiserations to those who didn't (still have a great time at other unis).
    Congrats. Don't worry too much about STEP, it's not incredibly difficult/impossible

ReputationRep:
    I...got rejected from Clare.

Got pooled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)

Got pooled.
    That's not a rejection but I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how gutted you must have been.

Was it Maths IIRC?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that, but it means you still have a chance of getting in. Does that means they will call you for an interview at another college in January? Good luck.

ReputationRep:

Got pooled.
    At least it's not a complete rejection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    That's not a rejection but I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how gutted you must have been.

Was it Maths IIRC?
    Philosophy.

ReputationRep:

Got pooled.
    Never mind. But at least you've still got a chance through pooling! Or did you have your heart set on Clare?

ReputationRep:

Got pooled.
    Ah well **hugs**. I'm too young for the whole uni thing, I've got it in two years. What the hell is STEP? Is it something to worry about for people who want to go to Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Ah well **hugs**. I'm too young for the whole uni thing, I've got it in two years. What the hell is STEP? Is it something to worry about for people who want to go to Cambridge?
    A really difficult looking Maths exam.

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...text/text.html

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy.
    Adhsur Where did u get pooled to?

ReputationRep:
    A really difficult looking Maths exam.

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...text/text.html
    "Guess an expression, in terms of n, for xn. Then, by induction or otherwise, prove the correctness of your guess"

These Cambridge Maths people are very good at English, it would be better to say "prove your guess is correct."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by africa)
    Adhsur Where did u get pooled to?
    I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    "Guess an expression, in terms of n, for xn. Then, by induction or otherwise, prove the correctness of your guess"

These Cambridge Maths people are very good at English, it would be better to say "prove your guess is correct."
    They have some utterly redundant crap in there sometimes, "The elastic band is stretched by 1km. (we know not by whom!)"

ReputationRep:
    They have some utterly redundant crap in there sometimes, "The elastic band is stretched by 1km. (we know not by whom!)"
    They could at least say it's pulled by Bob.
    Another question:

"The game of Cambridge Whispers starts with the first participant Albert flipping an un-biased coin and whispering to his neighbour Bertha whether it fell `heads' or `tails'."

Cambridge whispers!!!

What the hell?!?!

ReputationRep:

"Correctness" is better, cos it's probably unlikely that they'll guess the exact expression. It sounds like they want to see a proof for an expression that's not exactly the same, but very similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    "Correctness" is better, cos it's probably unlikely that they'll guess the exact expression. It sounds like they want to see a proof for an expression that's not exactly the same, but very similar.
    Maybe, but it doesn't sound right. Maybe 'accuracy' would be better?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, but it doesn't sound right. Maybe 'accuracy' would be better?
    theyre mathematicians huntroyde, not grammarians

ReputationRep:
    I got in.

This is insane.

It's 3am here, I can't make any noise. I just want to wake everybody up and scream at them then call everybody.

I'm dying here.

ReputationRep:
    my friend got an AAA offer for nat sci at St. Catherine's (with A in maths - shes doing 4 A2s) yay for her!!

ReputationRep:
    You should see some of the stuff made up in some of the statistics questions

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.