The Student Room Group

Need advice

Hi, the as level grades i got today are

B-Chemistry
B-Physics
C-Bio
D-Maths

I know these are not good enough for medicine, what can i do?

When i write my application to uni's in september what advice can u give?

The B i got in physics 232/300 ums marks, i got 2 A's in both papers but my cwk let me down.

So how do you suggest i start my application form? Ill need to do resits but will i do to do take a gap year? etc.. but im real down at the moment, and my head is in mess.

Thanks
Reply 1
I think you really need to have a think. Do you (and do your teachers) believe that if you pull your socks up as well as doing quite a significant number of retakes, you can eventually come out with grades of at least ABB if not AAB? It's possible but it will not be easy. If you think you can do that, then by all means go for Medicine. If you and your teachers think that it's an unrealistic target then you need to start looking into other ideas.

You don't need to take a gap year if you don't want to; all your retakes will be done this year.
Reply 2
I can hopefully get an A in Physics by retaking one paper, and for chemistry that will be harder but with some hard work and determination i can get another A, but it will be tough

UMS marks i got for

Physics 232/300
Chemistry 213/300

Resits iwll be done in january 2006, so it doesnt matter then?
Reply 3
Akthar
I can hopefully get an A in Physics by retaking one paper, and for chemistry that will be harder but with some hard work and determination i can get another A, but it will be tough

UMS marks i got for

Physics 232/300
Chemistry 213/300

Resits iwll be done in january 2006, so it doesnt matter then?

You won't need to take a gap year unless you want to. But you WILL need to work very hard to improve your grades next year and to make sure your teachers give you good predictions.
Reply 4
how do i make them give me good predictions?

Do i just talk to them saying i can achieve grades of AAB, by working very hard, i want to do medicine badly, with some resits i can achieve these grades? etc?
Akthar

Do i just talk to them saying i can achieve grades of AAB, by working very hard, i want to do medicine badly, with some resits i can achieve these grades? etc?

yeah just convince them that you can do it! Do resits even if you achieved A's in the modules, some people (and even teachers) think this is completely pointless, but as Helenia said on another thread, there is more cushion for your overall A-level if you have spare marks.
Reply 6
Akthar

Well, they'll be writing your reference and giving predicted grades. There's little point "telling them" you can get AAB, they'll be able to judge that just as well as you, probably. Ask them what they are currently going to predict you, explain that you want to do medicine and ask if they think it would be realistic/possible for them to predict you those grades. Insisting on it won't do you any favours, they'll probably go and write "he thinks he can achieve an A but I remain sceptical".

Latest

Trending

Trending