Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    cool thanks for the advice.....i hadn't even looked at the lenght of sleeves etc on the suits....im still so excited and overwhelmed by it all.....should really start tackling those forms and begging parents for money..... by the way vet student do u know at all what the openiong ceremony thing in october is like...worth bothering with or better avoiding......just to pick your brains a bit more.... thanks

ReputationRep:
    As far as the opening ceremony goes

1) the buffet is a chance for free food if your living in catered halls you'll need it!
    2) Its where the SU president is sworn in and makes a little speech (some of us will be there to watch this make sure he dosnt forget the lines to his speech and tak eth episs when he will)

3) all the profs are there

4) all the prizes are given out to all the years - and parents normally come with them.

5) you should go at least once and its easier to do in first year it is after all a 200 year old college and all the lectures are in there gowns etc etc

6) The boring bit - principal makes a speech also an invited guest this may be some one famous recently we had Prof Lord Robert Winston ( the guy off child of are time etc etc) he was interesting but it could be someone less so like the vice chancellor of london uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vet Student)
    As far as the opening ceremony goes

1) the buffet is a chance for free food if your living in catered halls you'll need it!
    2) Its where the SU president is sworn in and makes a little speech (some of us will be there to watch this make sure he dosnt forget the lines to his speech and tak eth episs when he will)

3) all the profs are there

4) all the prizes are given out to all the years - and parents normally come with them.

5) you should go at least once and its easier to do in first year it is after all a 200 year old college and all the lectures are in there gowns etc etc

6) The boring bit - principal makes a speech also an invited guest this may be some one famous recently we had Prof Lord Robert Winston ( the guy off child of are time etc etc) he was interesting but it could be someone less so like the vice chancellor of london uni.

I hate havin to make decisions on wether to go to things or not?!aaaaaaaaaaargh! now i have to make the decision of wether to go to the ceremony and the freshes week stuff....better get a move on i suppose, not that long till we're all there! Scary!

Ive got to get all of my forms ready..its really annoying that we havent heard from the accomodation people yet, i wanna know what we get in the flat and what we have to get for ourselves? Thats all i want to know!

so every1...

whos gonna go to:
    1. Freshers week activities
    2. Opening ceremony thingy?

Im not sure....too tired to think (still recovering from a very very very late nite on friday!)

ReputationRep:
    o crap! i sent my order form to the actual college because i wasnt sure of where to send it! what do i do?!?! plz help me!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetlikechocol)
    I think that its 6 to a flat, which is pretty good! At least it will only be 6 ppl sharing a kitchen...it shouldnt get to messy! Im imagining our halls to look like the ones in Hollyoaks! lol! I have no other reference for what halls look like!

I cant wait to move in! Wouldnt it be funny if some of us end up in the same flat!he he he! Its really annoying thatour halls are the only halls that seem not to be on the Unite website.....they have loads of others except ours.....perhaps they dont exist...aaaaaaaargh....perhaps we will be living in a cardboard box!!

Just let me no time and pace of your party and ill be there!!!
    xxx
    Hehe- yeah the Hollyoaks flats are cool! I looked at the photos of various halls on teh unite website, but they all look quite varied, so I really don't know what to expect. Yes, it would be very cool if some of us ended up in the same flat!

I think I'll buy freshers week tickets then, so thanks vet student. I think I'll also go to the ceremony because free food is always good!

Lisa

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was just wondering, is anyone doing the fdsc in veterinary nursing? I'm well scared cos i can't find anyone else who is.
    Also which accomodation did you apply for at hawkshead?

Pls Reply!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by northern_lass)
    o crap! i sent my order form to the actual college because i wasnt sure of where to send it! what do i do?!?! plz help me!!!
    I'll get some one to retrieve it. the porters are some of the most helpful staff in college they have probably been collecting it waiting for one of us to come to camden.

To be honest half the time i dont have all my overalls etc you just get used to finding some to borrow the changing rooms at hawkeshead are full of left over stuff that you can use for the first practical, but we should still be able toget your stuff with everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    i've seen the accomodation at college grove and they are really really nice. The rooms are set out in flats of seven bedrooms with a huge kitchen to share with padlocks on your cupboard and fridges in your room! The rooms are a bigger then ones i've seen at other uni's and the little ensuite is really cute.

i'm gonna buy the freshers week thing. It works out more expensive to buy them separately doesn't it and you'll be gutted if you can't go to something you want to?!?

ReputationRep:
    I just found out i'm in northumberland hall. Amnyone know n e thing bout it?

ReputationRep:
    I think im gonna get tickets for freshers week....still not decided bout the opening ceremony thing..have to look at the form again...prob go to the last two bits of it then.....like vet student said..at least if i go this year i know whether to go not next year

Oh y4eah another question.....has anyone seen term dates....for like bvetmed.....cause i can't find them anywhere..or maybe im just being blind....but either way help greatly appreciated.....i didn't get into uni accommodation :bawling: but i dunno looking at a student block in camden so fingers crossed thing will work out..... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Term Dates—2005-06

BVetMed
    AUTUMN TERM
    Year 1 Monday 26 September – Friday 16 December 2005 (12 weeks)
    Year 2 Monday 3 October – Friday 16 December 2005 (11 weeks)

SPRING TERM
    Year 1 and 2 Monday 9 January – Friday 10 March 2006 (9 weeks)

SUMMER TERM
    Year 1 and 2 Monday 1 May* – Friday 7 July 2006 (10 weeks)

*Note: As Mon 1 May 2006 is a bank holiday there will be no timetabled classes that day

Year 1
    Students attend three terms of 12 weeks, 9 weeks and 10 weeks*

Year 2
    Students attend three terms of 11 weeks, 9 weeks and 10 weeks*.

*Note: 6 weeks Extra Mural Study in Animal Husbandry must be completed during Easter/Summer vacations in each of the first two years

Year 3 onwards
    Students attend a continuous programme of study from 26 September 2005 until graduation.

The Student Loan Company have been informed that years 3 and 4 are 47 weeks long, and year 5 is 36 weeks long.

ReputationRep:
    oh your so great...where did u get that from..ive been looking for like days....*hugs vet student* Thank you so much...ok should really calm down now.....sorry but i couldn't find it anywhere and was getting really exasperated...im very grateful......and am also gonna shut up now....

ReputationRep:
    BTW the person making the speech at the opening ceremony this year is the President of Pfizer..Mr Pedro Lichtinger..according to the form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tessa)
    BTW the person making the speech at the opening ceremony this year is the President of Pfizer..Mr Pedro Lichtinger..according to the form
    Im gonna send all these forms off 2moz...its taken me ages to persuade ma dad to pay for everything! Im onna do the freshers week thingy, then pick and choose what i go to?!

Probs go to the ceremony thingy?! I dunno...will decide 2moz
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tessa)
    oh your so great...where did u get that from..ive been looking for like days....*hugs vet student* Thank you so much...ok should really calm down now.....sorry but i couldn't find it anywhere and was getting really exasperated...im very grateful......and am also gonna shut up now....
    Ah you see i have the intranet which is the source of all knowledge when its not broken. and five years of trying to find this sort of stuff out for myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bown86)
    i was on bvetmed but missed grades - so now i doing the veterinary gateway course. It started this year, it's a six year bvetmed degree- so i'm in!! so excited.
    Me too
    I can't wait, but kinda scared too

ReputationRep:
    Hey someone from the RVC just rang me today asking me if i wanted a place in Mary Brackner House.....only thing is its quite expenxive..well it is the centre of london....and i have no idea what the facilities etc...are there.....so if any one has had any info about it....... greatly appreciated......^^^as you can prob tell by above...lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tessa)
    Hey someone from the RVC just rang me today asking me if i wanted a place in Mary Brackner House.....only thing is its quite expenxive..well it is the centre of london....and i have no idea what the facilities etc...are there.....so if any one has had any info about it....... greatly appreciated......^^^as you can prob tell by above...lol

Any accomodation that isnt at home with your parents is good accomodation
    (as alot of freshers events finish very late they may not wnat you doing them all for the whole event) sleeping on peoples floors can get annoying after the first couple of nights - also it will mean you meet a large number of vets straight away - and the buses for any events ( freshers, rag, avs, balls ) if there are any would pick you up from the door and drop you off again.

Also if you commute in rush hour to camden it can get very busy and stressful if the tubes arnt working etc etc

but i dont know anything about hall - but when we were speaking to the guys from unite it seemed to have better facilies than the other halls provided within the cost of your rent.

ReputationRep:
    Im in those halls....yay.......apparently they are ment to be really well equiped, thats wot ive heard n e wayz!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    cool....i got the forms through today im gonna fill them out now....has everyone gone for the broadband....also the stuff about cooking pots and stuff surely u don't need like 6 sets of pans or whatever (if everyone brings a set)..so what u bringing.....the thing im mainly worried about is cos we don't get to see them b4 hand i don't know the size so i dunno how much to bring cos i don't know what will fit.....but seeing as i only live like an hour away i guess its not that hard to go home and bring more/get rid of extra......whens everyone moving in.......

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 20, 2005

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.