Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I read an article saying that "next year" the authorities are making it compulsory to disclose all individual modular marks to universities - do they mean those of us applying in September for 2006 entry, or the year after?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martynwilliams)
    No, they’ll be running trials next year, followed by a full roll out for September 2007 entry. So if you’re taking AS Levels next year, they’ll be submitted along with A2 UMS marks the following year.
    I found this in the 'general university discussion' forum. Your answer is found above.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t139966.html

ReputationRep:
    thanks!

Damn I hoped they would be If we've cashed in our AS results, is there any opportunity to put the individual modular marks or marks out of 300 other than putting it in your PS/reference?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't it waste a lot of space on your reference? I think there should be an optional section on UCAS where you can put modular marks if you want to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    Doesn't it waste a lot of space on your reference? I think there should be an optional section on UCAS where you can put modular marks if you want to
    I remember one of my teachers put the UMS mark for a module in someone's reference...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    thanks!

Damn I hoped they would be If we've cashed in our AS results, is there any opportunity to put the individual modular marks or marks out of 300 other than putting it in your PS/reference?
    Ask your teachers to mention your UMS marks out of 300 in your reference. I plan to for everything except history. It shouldn't take up much space really.

ReputationRep:
    Well, today I just missed my university offer by 2 UMS marks in History. When I rang my firm choice to ask if I had a place they said "Absolutely, you're in. You were so close anyway in...History, just 2 UMS".

So, uni's clearly do get modular scores aswell as just grades.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah when they recieve the results but not when you apply

ReputationRep:
    In conclusion, do your modular scores really matter? How significant are they? I've seen quite some students at my college who already got A's retaking 1 or 2 papers to get a higher modular score. Some say it doesn't really matter as long as u get an A for the overall grade. But some say the Uni ring ur school for the modular scores. How significant is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abagnale)
    In conclusion, do your modular scores really matter? How significant are they? I've seen quite some students at my college who already got A's retaking 1 or 2 papers to get a higher modular score. Some say it doesn't really matter as long as u get an A for the overall grade. But some say the Uni ring ur school for the modular scores. How significant is it?
    Universities only see's the overall grade. I believe that Oxbridge only see modular scores. In the future, universities can see module scores (heard that on ITV news by Anthony McClaran yesterday). Therefore, in the future, it's significant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    Well, today I just missed my university offer by 2 UMS marks in History. When I rang my firm choice to ask if I had a place they said "Absolutely, you're in. You were so close anyway in...History, just 2 UMS".

So, uni's clearly do get modular scores aswell as just grades.
    Are you sure on that? I missed my firm choice by 4 UMS and they accepted me, I thought it was down to a good grade in my extra subjects, but if they saw our UMS marks then that would explain alot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Universities only see's the overall grade. I believe that Oxbridge only see modular scores. In the future, universities can see module scores (heard that on ITV news by Anthony McClaran yesterday). Therefore, in the future, it's significant.
    Actually, I thought it was just Cambridge that requested modular scores, not Oxford as well. Can anyone clarify this? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen_A)
    Actually, I thought it was just Cambridge that requested modular scores, not Oxford as well. Can anyone clarify this? :confused:
    I'm pretty sure, yes. Last time I heard, it was just Cambridge. Hope your results went well Can't believe I was one lousy mark off an A in French!

ReputationRep:
    :O I didnt know Uni's got UMS scores-I'm glad I got into my uni, if they'd gone on my UMS marks I'd have been screwed-I somehow managed to fail both my psychology papers-still came out with a D overall cos of last years marks tho :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gems1107)
    :O I didnt know Uni's got UMS scores-I'm glad I got into my uni, if they'd gone on my UMS marks I'd have been screwed-I somehow managed to fail both my psychology papers-still came out with a D overall cos of last years marks tho :P
    They don't know our UMS scores this year, which is good. If they do, I would be screwed too.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.