History - Germany or Russia? Watch

This discussion is closed.
sweet_gurl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm thinking about doing History for AS level, but I'm unsure whether to do Germany or Russia, as I have done Germany for GCSE and so was thinking maybe I would find it boring doing the same thing again? I think my teacher advised us to do Russia as its interesting. Is it? Or would this be an advantage to do Germany as I would find it easier, already knowing some of it? Any advice? Thanks
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
I think they're both boring, better to do actual history if possible, like tudors.

But of the two I think I just about preferred Germany...
Ichamackalooloo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I did both Germany and Russia for GCSE, and I enjoyed Germany more but grasped Russia alot easier (each to their own, however). Although at College I think I'm just gonna do Germany as I've been on a History trip there before, and loved it which will give me another excuse to go there again!

Although, my College said that ''You should pick the one you haven't studied in school as you wont enjoy it as much'', but oh well lol
andrena.
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Personally I really liked doing Russia because it was a bit different from what i had done before, but I suppose it depends upon the period. Presumably it is nazi germany, but is the russia about the fall of the tsars and the early revolutions...or a bit later and about stalin. I reckon theat both are pretty interesting, but then I do really like history.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I only studied Russia briefly for GCSE coursework and have been stuck with Nazi Germany for 3 years now (still 1 more to go). I find both very interesting. It can get boring studying the same topic for years on end, but you do different parts of the topic and you can build on what you've already learnt, which makes it easier. If you've enjoyed Germany so far and would prefer having a bit of background knowledge, stick with that, but if you think you'll get bored or want to learn something new, switch to Russia.
henryt
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I found Russia a whole lot more interesting, but it was harder, at first, to interlock it into the stuff I'd previously learnt, like general European affairs and the League of Nations, but once I had a clear place of what happened in which order, I found it to be quite easy.

But I did like Communist Russia a whole lot more Nazi Germany. I also think Communism is a far deeper concept than Fascism, and so I think it was more nourishing to learn about Russia as well as making it more interesting.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1530)
79.23%
Leave (401)
20.77%

Watched Threads