Turn on thread page Beta

Why do most of you on this forum seem to get A*s, A's and B's in your exams? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am just wondering, why does it seem like most of you on this forum get mostly A*s, A's and B's in your exams?
    I have just done my AS exams and I got 4C's and a D, which I am quite proud of (although I know I could have done a bit better), but when I looked on the AS results thread, most of you seem to be getting around 2 or 3 A's and 2 B's, some of you got annoyed that you got a B instead of an A :eek: , which I found shocking as I would have been really pleased to get a couple of B's and a C at AS level!
    So, in general, why is it that you seem to get top marks? It can't be based solely on revising can it (?) as I thought I worked really hard, (even more so with my GCSE's when I got 2A's 4B's and 3 C's, when a lot of you seemed to get 2A*'s, 4A's and 3 B's) but yet I didn't get top marks!
    Are you just naturally good at remembering things, do you have parents who have a high qualification and a big job, or do you go to a private school or something? Are some of you going so far as to pretend you have higher grades than you do have?
    Sorry if I've offended any of you or anything, I'm just wondering why thats all.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's a learning forum. Most people who go on that kind of site do so for academic help, which is obviously the people who care most about learning and doing well in exams and things.

Or: it's such a wonderful forum that everyone here learns so much and gets good grades that way./

ReputationRep:
    the forum is populated by a greater number of hard-working studious types?

Seeing as i found this forum whilst doing maths revision. I imagine alot of people joined in a similar way. Perhaps explaining why people seem to have done well on average.

You say you've worked hard, and thats great. If your happy with your grades thats all that matters, you've done alot better than ALOT of people. its just this forum has a higher % of "high achievers".

ReputationRep:
    Why are most people on here? Because they care and take an interest in their education. Draw your own conclusions from that. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry I don't get results like that either! As long as you are happy that is all thta matters!

ReputationRep:
    Yep it's definately to do with the work ethic - I come from a regular family, go to my run-of-the-mill local state comp butI'm predicted A's & A*'s in my GCSE'S - and came across TSR whilst searching for grade boundaries. I guess it also helps to have a fairly decent memory lol.
    Advising and seeking advice from people with the same enthusiasm for their education and future encourages you to really go for it despite your background/school. Hmm that sounded so cheesy but yep, work ethic

ReputationRep:
    lol- yeah i agree with wots been said before
    but it really annoys me when people start complaining about their grades especially high ones- like someone gets AAAA and they complain- they ask me what i got and im like CCDE - n then they are like well done youve done so well blah blah blah and all i think is just you know... piss off!! hope that doesnt offend anyone but it is really annoying!- who aggrees with me?

ReputationRep:
    Well, it makes sense that only people who are interested in their education would go on a forum like this, and generally it's people who are interested in their education who work hard and do well. I'm guessing some people do make up/exaggerate their grades, but that's really sad and most of us would pity someone who had nothing better to do than boast about fake grades to people they've never met! Judging by the results of a poll taken ages ago, there are quite a lot of private school students on here and I'd imagine the majority of those have parents who've been to university and have professional jobs. Personally I go to a standard state comprehensive and both my parents left school at 16. I got As, Bs and 1 A* in my GCSEs and AABB at AS. I do have a good memory though. As someone else said, if you're proud of your grades, good for you. You've worked hard and now you have something to show for it. There will always be people who do better than you; all that matters is whether you feel you've done well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no A student and I come from a tough council estate.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it's mainly because (as already stated) we're a pretty self-selecting bunch! I don't remember how I actually found this forum. I think it was around the time I was applying to Cambridge though, so I was probably scouting round for moral support.

I'd put my grades down to a combination of work and a good healthy dose of luck, plus the fact that I was fortunate enough to get a bursary that enabled me to go to a pretty small private school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luke88)
    I'm no A student and I come from a tough council estate.

Represent!

Reason is though, plain and simple--many nerds on here.

I'm semi-nerdy...in high school I'd freak out if I got below an A on tests, etc. I kept a perfect GPA until my last year when I got a B in calculus.....*******s.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at state school am hoping for A's B's and a couple of A*'s at GCSE. State school doesn't hinder you that much. I found this sight trying to find out how to do spearmans rank for my maths coursework lol. As long as ur happy with ur result then thats fine, everyone has different targets.

ReputationRep:
    This is more of a problem for me in school than on TSR...I got ACC on AS (after resits) and my teachers ripped it out of me constantly, as everyone had a nice sparkly AAA at least in their perfect records. Of course, this standard hardly dropped (except mine, BCC), so the message is, don't try to compete; I didn't fit in with that school anyway! I was proud, my C in latin was through correspondence and a foreign lingo was very hard for me to motivate myself learning endless lists of vocab without hardly any help at all!

The thing that digs in really is english, I got the award last year and was the only one who didn't get A...that was a real kick in the teeth

Everyone's just on a different path, that's all-that's what got me through it all really, lol. At least I know that I'm going to a course that I'll really enjoy, and of course, has a higher coursework content than exams :p:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    What I'd like to know is whyere all these schools are where most people are getting strings of A grades.

Yes my sixth form had a few people who got several A grades, but this was the exception. Lots people might have got one or two A grades, but most people didn't get any, Bs and Cs being their highest, yet our over all results were significantly over the national average at the time too in terms of points.

So if my school could be better than average and there are other schools were nearly everyone gets all A's then must we conclude there are some places where peopel average even lower grades? Or is the way of comparing schools on A Level points flawed?

ReputationRep:
    i honestly believe that some people are just gifted in intellectual talent.

But then again when i see people playing a musical instrument i do think to myself 'god i'm so dumb' lol Also when people write their own songs or even poetry. People that can charm the pants off customers into buying something, but aren't necesaarily clever i envy. Grades aren't everything.

ReputationRep:
    People on this forum seem to care... its actually quite contagious.

I think that this forum is very motivating. It has certainly motivated me to do better and get good grades. So, if you come on this forum regularly, I'm convinced that you'll do better in exams (someone should test this).

Combined with that, I also have a very good memory and can ramble on for ages.

ReputationRep:
    Like everyone else said, this site seems to come up when you search for university application help, academic help, etc on google or whatever, so people who are anxious to do well are often the ones who join up. There's a whole forum dedicated to Oxbridge, so a fair few of the people on here are either there or applying there meaning they'll be people with a fair few A grades. I noticed in an old poll that there was a high percentage of private school students too (who tend to score more A grades on average) considering they comprise just 7% of the student population nationwide!

Sometimes when you're on here you just have to remind yourself that not everyone gets 6As at AS and 7-10A*s at GCSE, lol!

In the end, it's how you feel about your grades that matters. As Kelly said, there's always going to be someone better than you whatever level you're working at, and although I used to find that hard to come to terms with I think TSR makes it easier (although I know what you mean in that sometimes the sheer number of overachievers scares me!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    People on this forum seem to care... its actually quite contagious.

I think that this forum is very motivating. It has certainly motivated me to do better and get good grades. So, if you come on this forum regularly, I'm convinced that you'll do better in exams (someone should test this).

Combined with that, I also have a very good memory and can ramble on for ages.
    hehe this forum has actually been one of the things that's hindered my work that's because I'm so very lazy and anything that acts as a distraction I embrace TV, random books, TSR, cinema, going out....etcetc. Am consistently astonished when I get fairly good grades considering I seem to do virtually nothing compared to most people I know. Am just not a motivated hard worker But am determined to work harder at French (she says, having been told several times today to start French c/w and is instead still here... argh.)

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not very clever I have to say... but I work hard (although my parents say I could work harder and I go to a boarding school! So they've got no idea of what I do)... It annoys me in a way... when I see people not studying nothing at all... while I am and get similar grades to mine!!! It makes me feel so stupid!!! Also it annoys me a lot when people get Cs and GET ANGRY... WITH THE SCHOOL AND TEACHERS! Saying it's their faults because they DO NOT MOTIVATE THEM!!! In those cases I commit suicide or stop listening! I just cannot stand it!
    My dad got good grades in his Sixth form although he NEVER went to lessons... and he owns a business (didnt go to uni) and my mum is an English teacher... this kind of girl that studied everyday a lot and blah blah... but she's not smart at all... she just put a lot of effort in it!
    I go to a "public" school ie: private / independent because otherwise I wouldnt be able to do the Alevels as I live in Spain...
    I got a B in Physics... and I am REALLY HAPPY WITH MY GRADES!!! I worked A LOT!!! and they are what I was expecting... however I'm going to extra lessons of physics during the summer... my dad thinks I dont know Physics!!! But I do and a lot! The thing is that I dont know how to answer the questions in the exams!!!
    I hope this helped... in a way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beth)
    hehe this forum has actually been one of the things that's hindered my work
    Hindered your work? I've been here since summer 2003- how do you think it's affected me? :p:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.