Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE maths statistics coursework - please help watch

ReputationRep:
    You might want to try box-plots as well as i've been told this can boost your marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    I am really really stuck with my GCSE maths coursework and i was wandering if anyone could give me any tips etc as i dont find my maths teacher any help what so ever!

My hypothesis is: The further you travel to school, the longer it takes.
    I have written a reasonable amount plannning however any tips would be appreciated as i really need to get a top grade to be able to go to the school i want to go to and study math a-level.

I have collected all the sample, explained about it etc. and have drawn a histogarm (not yet explained it) and computer generated a scatter graph with the correlation coefficient in it (which i need to further explain - i need to fully understand the correlation coefficient to do this)

I have also been told about standard deviation - however i dont know if this is relevant to my question.

Also do i need to include very simple stuff such as mode, median, mean etc???

Sorry about the length of this but i thought i might as well include as much info as possible.

Thank you

Hannah
    hi ya hannah! i'm doing the exact same cousrsework for maths but i got a C. haven't finished it quite yet! i'm sure that one of your teachers will be over joyed to help you with your coursework.
    cya claire

ReputationRep:
    Nobody should be that unsupportive. You'll do ok.

ReputationRep:
    HAHA i finished me courcework aaagggeeesss ago! haha
    Hope it wasn't in English

ReputationRep:
    HAHA i finished me courcework aaagggeeesss ago! haha
    ik if u have finished ur coursework ages ago.......cud u tell me wot 2 du............or if its on the computer possibly send it 2 me?? *gives cheesy smile* thnx

ReputationRep:
    although my coursework is on reaction times, i think most coursework needs roughly the same graphs and things. you might want to find out if they are appropriate or not, because i think the examiner marks you down if you include things that dont need to be in there!

for my coursework i have done/need to do:

stratified sampling
    scatters
    histograms
    standard deviation
    mode
    mean
    median
    range
    box plots (box-and-whisker diagrams)
    stratified sampling
    cumulative frequency graph
    scatter diagrams

*all graphs need the upper quartile, lower quartile, inter quartile range, median*

UQ = 3/4 way up the graph
    LQ = 1/4 way up the graph
    IQR = UQ - LQ

if thats any help at all!

if any1 needs any more help/explainations or anything, just send me an email or something!

x~Emma~x

ReputationRep:
    I am stuk too i need 2 finish my method and my conclusion 4 monday and i aint done jack ****
    so if u fink u is stick wat the fuk about me

if any cleva person reads this please tell me what a histogram does for this question what does MEAN MODE MEDIAN mean for this fukin hard question

Who is taller and who has more variation in heights at year 10 and year 11 the boys or the girls ?
    You guys really need to learn this stuff - get yourself a good, cheap book. There is a good selection at swotzone.com

ReputationRep:
    a histogram would let you compare the sets of results easily. are you doing it for year (10 and 11), or gender?

ReputationRep:
    i did my coursework and added a stem and leaf diagram.... had to do summat bout the gradeint to get a formula..... did not like maths i still don't....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiffmaster)
    No, Hannah won't fail, but you will probably fail English. It's you're, not your. JACKASS.

Don't worry Hannah, you'll be alright!
    Hannah is the conceptuality of the anomaly. Her fallible reminiscence nullifies her mental faculty, distilling and penetrating the tipotency of the noesis, illuding from the rhombencephalon. The neencephalon miscarries the concluding component of the failing of her ultimate examination. Hard luck but the odds are stacked against you.

ReputationRep:
    ha, this is a really good web site which will give u much help
    good lick...

http://www.m-a.org.uk/resources/peri...ics_in_school/ mathematics_in_school_nov_2003/gcse_statistics/

ReputationRep:
    Try this, its also very usefull help and guidence:
    www.y-maths.co.uk/Crsestats.htm

ReputationRep:
    hey, i have just done my gcse maths coursework too on cars and i agree, my teacher didn't help much either!!
    I think you should do the mean, mode, median and range as I was advised to.
    But what also is good to use is a cumulative frequency graph/table and box plot graph. these got me high marks in mine. they can be hard to get the hang of, but once you have its fine. you may already know these as they appear in the GCSE apparently. (well they have done). Also, when it comes to your conclusion/evaluation, keep relating back to your tables, graphs and results and compare them to the other graphs and your hypothesis.
    Well thats all I can think of! Hope this has helped a bit. If you need any more things explaining of the above etc, then don't hesitate to e-mail me.

laura

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire_james)
    hi ya hannah! i'm doing the exact same cousrsework for maths but i got a C. haven't finished it quite yet! i'm sure that one of your teachers will be over joyed to help you with your coursework.
    cya claire
    Hi could you pass me your work???

ReputationRep:

please

ReputationRep:
    How Do I Do A Stratified Sample Using Microsoft Excel? Please Help Any1 Thnx Xxxx

ReputationRep:
    How do you work out standard deviation?

ReputationRep:
    The standard deviation measures the spread of the data about the mean value. It is useful in comparing sets of data which may have the same mean but a different range. For example, the mean of the following two is the same: 15, 15, 15, 14, 16 and 2, 7, 14, 22, 30. However, the second is clearly more spread out. If a set has a low standard deviation, the values are not spread out too much.

The process is quite easy really if you know what you are doing.

List each piece of data you have in a column then calculate the mean of your data. (Mean = Add up all the data then divide by the number of data)

Next you need to calculate the difference between each piece of data and the mean.

Now square these values (multiply it by itself)

Total all the squared values.

Divide this total by the number of data.

Now square root your answer and this is the standard deviation!

Example: Data... 5 6 4 8 12 6 7 9 Mean = 57/8 = 7.125 say "7"

Data ......... Data - Mean ....... Diff Sqaured
    5 ......... 5-7 = -2 ......... ......... -2*-2 = 4
    6 ......... 6-7= -1 ......... ......... 1
    4 ......... 4-7=-3 ......... ......... 9
    8 ......... 8-7=1 ......... ......... 1
    12 ......... 12-7=5 .................. 25
    6 ......... 6-7=-1 .................. 1
    7 ......... 7-7=0 .................. 0
    9 ......... 9-7=2 .................. 4

Total of the squared numbers = 4+1+9+1+25+1+0+4 = 45
    Divide this total by the number of data = 45 / 8 = 5.6
    Square root this answer = 2.4

ReputationRep:
    hi just was wondering if anyone has heard or done the pile em high statistics coursework for maths, if so, then i need advice for conclusion and extension

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 18, 2004

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 7 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.