Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When does everyone else start? I start on mental health on September 5th!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xporcelainx)
    When does everyone else start? I start on mental health on September 5th!
    the 5th?! that is early!

I'm a physio assistant in mental health at the mo - its hard work but worth it!

ReputationRep:
    the fifth! omg, im still stuck in my poxy make some gap year money job then! im jealous!

Im not actually sure when i start, but im moving to liverpool on sept 18th and hope to find out then!!!!

Where are you training porcelain!? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bingobango)
    the fifth! omg, im still stuck in my poxy make some gap year money job then! im jealous!

Im not actually sure when i start, but im moving to liverpool on sept 18th and hope to find out then!!!!

Where are you training porcelain!? x
    bingo - are you doing mental health too?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know its early, kinda wish I started later so I'd have more time to work and earn money...but on the other hand my jobs really boring so it's good to go! I work with people with learning disabilities...it's ok I guess just not the client group Im passionate about! I'm training at the University of East Anglia, Norwich!

I heard student nurses always start before people on on "normal" courses??? Do you guys start before and if so how much before? For me it's nearly 3 weeks!!! Clara

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know its early, kinda wish I started later so I'd have more time to work and earn money...but on the other hand my jobs really boring so it's good to go! I work with people with learning disabilities...it's ok I guess just not the client group Im passionate about! I'm training at the University of East Anglia, Norwich!

I heard student nurses always start before people on on "normal" courses??? Do you guys start before and if so how much before? For me it's nearly 3 weeks!!! Clara
    I'm actually going to do physio not nursing, but I start 26th Sept

ReputationRep:
    Im doing adult nursing - i thought i was dead cert about it but ive been working with children recently and now i wish i had done before making my choice!

I think im starting on the 26th...thankyou JakieS for that reminder! we have less holidays....again than "normal" students but all my friend back home from uni are bored already and missing student life so its not so much of a bad thing!

norwich hey!?.....never been there, is it local for you?
    Where are you at Jackie?

ReputationRep:
    Im doing adult nursing - i thought i was dead cert about it but ive been working with children recently and now i wish i had done before making my choice!

I think im starting on the 26th...thankyou JakieS for that reminder! we have less holidays....again than "normal" students but all my friend back home from uni are bored already and missing student life so its not so much of a bad thing!

Where are you at Jackie?
    I'm going to be going to St Georges

ReputationRep:
    Ouuuu, your right to ..... i hear very good things about st georges! (guardian review!)

Did anyone else read the guardian reviews on the different uni's? one of the criteria for scoring the uni's was job prospects and it was out of 5. Some uni's scored 1! ONE! As it seems health proffessions are understaffed a score of one is pretty dire!!

ReputationRep:
    Ouuuu, your right to ..... i hear very good things about st georges! (guardian review!)

Did anyone else read the guardian reviews on the different uni's? one of the criteria for scoring the uni's was job prospects and it was out of 5. Some uni's scored 1! ONE! As it seems health proffessions are understaffed a score of one is pretty dire!!
    THE WHOL RECRUITMENT ISSUE IN THE nhs AT the moment is abit of a joke - cutting staff and freezing posts

ReputationRep:
    Nope Bingobango, Norwich is about 4 and a half hours drive from where I live! Longer by train cuz rail links in Norwich are so bad :eek: It seems like a great place though!

Yeah I sometimes think maybe I should have applied to children's nursing, I love working with kids and I think child nurses do such an amazing job! But deep down I know it's mental health I'm into, the psychical aspects of care doesn't really interests me! And I want to work with children and adolescents with mental health problems when I (hopefully!) qualify so guess I'll be getting the best of both worlds really! And there aren't as much job opportunities in childrens nursing.

You could always see if it's possible for you to change at the end of the first year if thats what you really want!

ReputationRep:
    The job freeze things pretty scarey! I want to actually be able to apply for a job and not have to travel really far to find places that are taking on nurses!

ReputationRep:
    The job freeze things pretty scarey! I want to actually be able to apply for a job and not have to travel really far to find places that are taking on nurses!
    I wouldnt worry too much - A staff nurse I know who qualified about 20 years ago said that they as students were saying the same thing ....... no jobs etc.

In reality, how many staff nurses do you know that are unemployed?

At this time of year when thousands of nurses are qualifying at the same time there are only limited numbers available. It seems to be a recurring theme going back years. I think virtually every year is the same with initially no jobs and then give it a couple of months and they are desperate for nurses again.

ReputationRep:

Where are you at Jackie?

In the first year all students do the same no matter what branch your doing and at the end of the first year you are given the option to change. im doing adult nursing at bristol and i wish id picked children but im gonna change at the end of the first year.

ReputationRep:
    thats good to have the choice! i think your better equipt to decide once you have actually done it!

At liverpool tho its a small department and they only do adult nursing so i cant change....i dont think i will want tho!

I agree, i think childrens nurses are extra amazing, im not sure i could do it.Id imagine you have to focus on the family just as much as the child !

ReputationRep:
    hi im startin my childrens nursing degree in 4 weeks time and i cant wait! soo excited - its all ive ever wanted to do!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 23, 2005

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.