Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i was predicted all As for AS but my results are not good

i want to do maths but I barely scraped an A in maths due to doing really badly in 2 stats units.
    i also missed an A by few marks in chem and german, how importants is this as they are unrelated to subject i want to apply for?

do the admissions people look for really high ums marks for their subject? i know especically with the maths that earlier modlules are really easy and lots of people get full marks so is it quite dire if you get low marks?

ReputationRep:
    oxford doesn't know

ReputationRep:
    really? do they not care for any subject then?

ReputationRep:
    Oxford don't necessarily know, RxB. In my reference all six of my AS UMS marks were stated, to impress Oxford. Would surprise my greatly if references about people who got high 90's in the Maths modules didn't include them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Oxford don't necessarily know, RxB. In my reference all six of my AS UMS marks were stated, to impress Oxford. Would surprise my greatly if references about people who got high 90's in the Maths modules didn't include them...
    Agree with H&E. Unless you're from a school that has a policy of not showing UMS marks your interviewers will probably be quite curious as to why you didn't choose to show off your brilliant UMS marks...

ReputationRep:
    You dont tell them directly on the application form but in the teacher reference, they usually mention the odd UMS score...if you ave a couple of good ones then you should be ok.....besides I think they look mainly at how you do at their admissions test when you go for interview.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford doesn't care beyond the AAA or AAB!!! Thank god cos I got a D in my synoptic history exam (well needed an E but besides the point!) for A2 but got the A overall. I'm here and having a great time after I cheated the system!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Do schools really have policies of showing off their UMS marks? I'm pretty sure mine didn't, and would be surprised if many did. I only got 90+ in one of my subjects (of five, although one of those was taken in Y11) and nobody seemed to mind.

ReputationRep:
    at ours its like if u get good marks then they show them off, if u didnt they are not going to hamper ur chances of getting in by showing ur bad ums scores.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford want people who are going to be getting high UMS. Since so many are getting A's; the whole thing of not showing UMS is cheating the system and making it harder for Oxford to choose. They are looking for AAA minimum really... ABB isn't really good enough TBH im afraid...

ReputationRep:
    ok guys

i got 5 high 90 plus ums and 2 crappy C ums so far!!!!! so if i put the 5 ums only and ignore the other 2 ums, is that acceptable in the hope the ox tutors dont ask about why i didnot put the crappy Ums?

another thing,
    do u put ums in the personal statement or ask the teacher to put it in the teacher's reference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    i got hundreds and high 90's and din't include them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sleep)
    Oxford want people who are going to be getting high UMS. Since so many are getting A's; the whole thing of not showing UMS is cheating the system and making it harder for Oxford to choose. They are looking for AAA minimum really... ABB isn't really good enough TBH im afraid...
    i do 5 subjects though, so actually got AAABB, i guess the 2 bs will still look bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RxB)
    Do schools really have policies of showing off their UMS marks? I'm pretty sure mine didn't, and would be surprised if many did. I only got 90+ in one of my subjects (of five, although one of those was taken in Y11) and nobody seemed to mind.
    No, I said some schools have a policy of not showing UMS marks. I suppose this is to protect their less well qualified applicants. If a school has no policy on the matter then it makes sense to only show UMS marks if they are worth showing, and this knowledge is useful to admissions tutors because it means your UMS marks were probably not that high if they weren't quoted in your teacher's/headmaster's reference.

ReputationRep:
    By not showing the UMS, the Interviewers make their decision from talking to the person. This gives a bit more of a level playing field. It's not perfect but it seems reasonable to let the person do the talking I feel.

ReputationRep:
    i got crap UMS for physics and geography...its the grades that count

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oriel historian)
    By not showing the UMS, the Interviewers make their decision from talking to the person. This gives a bit more of a level playing field. It's not perfect but it seems reasonable to let the person do the talking I feel.
    I disagree. If one person is a high flier and got safe As in all their subjects and the other person missed their grades or only scraped them (but got predicted As by their school) then there is clearly a difference between them. Does it seem fair to you that the interviewers won't be able to tell the difference and may then take the person with the lower grades purely because they seem to be of equal ability after a couple of short interviews?

ReputationRep:
    even though I got bad marks, I still think its unfair and unreasonable not to mention them, everyone knows their ums score, so it doesnt make any sense to withold it from unis when they always complain that its really hard to pick the best candidates

is it true that in general if the UMS is not mentionsed in the reference , you will be asked for them at interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chubby)
    ok guys

i got 5 high 90 plus ums and 2 crappy C ums so far!!!!! so if i put the 5 ums only and ignore the other 2 ums, is that acceptable in the hope the ox tutors dont ask about why i didnot put the crappy Ums?

another thing,
    do u put ums in the personal statement or ask the teacher to put it in the teacher's reference?
    They are put in the teacher's reference- only Cambridge demand that they are stated in the CAF.

You just get your teacher to say 'Chubby scored exceptionally well in several of his modules including blah, blah and blah' and omit the bad ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rouge)
    even though I got bad marks, I still think its unfair and unreasonable not to mention them, everyone knows their ums score, so it doesnt make any sense to withold it from unis when they always complain that its really hard to pick the best candidates

is it true that in general if the UMS is not mentionsed in the reference , you will be asked for them at interview?
    You are unlikely to be asked at an interview- and you can always feign forgetfulness (not that I ever remembered mine that well) or engage in a bit of score inflation.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.