Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When my school were doing my predicted grades they predicted me to get BBB or BBC or something like that. Therefore I applied to universities which had that sort of grade requirement. Come along today I have my a-level results getting AAB only 7 UMS points off AAA so I might go for a re-mark. Therefore the type of uni's i applied to and the type of uni's I could have applied to is significantly different. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what to do... a defferred year probably isn't an option for myself so is there any way of persuading admissions tutors from the top uni's to take me or am i stuck with what I got coz my school screwed me over?

Sorry for the long post but I am soooo confused!!! If anyone could help me that would be great!!

ReputationRep:
    Basically, are you happy with the University you are going to? If the University has a good reputation, and you are happy with the accomodation and the course that you are going on - do you want to put yourself through the stress of entering the race again, especially if clearing is competitive for your subject.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely happy with the uni i may end up going to...this is what is worrying me!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chandni)
    I'm not entirely happy with the uni i may end up going to...this is what is worrying me!!!
    Where do you wanna go and which uni are you meant to go to?

ReputationRep:
    I'm meant to be going to Queen Mary's but I don't really want to go there after seeing my A-level results I think I can do better sort of thing. My dream would be to go to sheffield to do the european international comparitive law course but i don't really mind any better university!!!

ReputationRep:

I'm meant to be going to Queen Mary's but I don't really want to go there after seeing my A-level results I think I can do better sort of thing. My dream would be to go to sheffield to do the european international comparitive law course but i don't really mind any better university!!!
    If you don't want to go to Queen Mary, ask them to release you.

ReputationRep:
    Do what trev said but i suggest phonning sheffield before queens mary just ncase they haven't got no spaces and if you feel like you won't want to take a year out and wait to go the sheffield. Sheffield is a really nice uni, i think your grades are very good, you defintaly should be at a top uni such as sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    ^ But it's better than nothing right...if I can't get anything else in the next couple weeks then I'd be better off going to QM then going nowhere!!

ReputationRep:
    QM is quite good- tho im in the same situation i was predicted CCD but gt ABC- i feel that if i had of had better predictions i could pof had a much better choice - tho at the same time i fell my results may have been down to luck- tho i did work hard - so by sticking to my course i will be less likely to struggle nxt year tho i am not sure??

ReputationRep:
    im confused but in a different way... while i was predicted ccd(220), i got bcd(240) and the uni wanted bbb(300) but theyve let me in. im not going to complain but i just wonder why...? on the clearing the site says (280) for those wanting to apply. on the open day there seemed to be loads of people. either:
    - there were hardly any people making the subject the final offer
    - loads of people bodged the grades but must be big to let me in
    - i impressed them somehow with my personal statement and informal interview
    - they want my money
    - i was lucky
    cant think of anything else and i kind of feel i dont deserve to go there but oh well thats just me. last time i fluked my gcses and now i fluked my a levels (hardly tried until the last few weeks before the exams).

had nowhere else to discuss this...

ReputationRep:
    i've had some progress newcastle offered me a place...would that be a good option???

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle is a nice city (slightly biased!) and the uni has a good reputation. What course are you wanting to do? Law? It's number 20 in the country for law and number 19 overall.

ReputationRep:
    i've had some progress newcastle offered me a place...would that be a good option???
    Definatly, newcastle > QM. Go for it, if you can't get into sheffield - definatly worth it.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Chadni, which course did you apply for at QM?

If its Humanities, I wouldn't even bother leaving QM for Sheffield or Newcastle. neither of them are better at all.

If its something other than that, then maybe you need to look carefully, but QM is certainly not less of a Uni than either Sheffield or Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield said No and I bawled my eyes out but hearing newcastle are interesting in me i'm well pleased but just am not sure coz my dad really wants me to go to QM and i really don't wanna go there lol!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2005
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.