Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You'd be really unlucky to get put in catered halls.. as there aren't any.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but some places do not have self catering facilities which isn't great.

The only thing i'm going to state as a preference is my desire for self-catering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by md_red_uk)
    Yeah but some places do not have self catering facilities which isn't great.
    Really? Like where? I don't quite understand.. seeing as nowhere on campus is catered.. how can they not provide self catering facilities? Are we expected to starve?

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

Well in the little booklet they gave us it says whether there are facilities or not at each site for self-catering (i.e. kitchens). If there arent i guess there are food purchasing places nearby.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see. I haven't got my booklet yet. I hope it comes tomorrow, or I may struggle to get it back in time for.. the 6th of September, or whatever it is.

ReputationRep:
    It just details each colleges facilities, i had mine on the 18th so i'm in no doubt yours will come soon.

ReputationRep:
    The 6th is my birthday(!), the 8th is the deadline.

You'd be really unlucky to get put in catered halls.. as there aren't any.
    I'm sure i read something somewhere.... it was probably what md_red_uk is talking about. I didn't read anything properly this morning, just scanned through it all. *shrug*

ReputationRep:
    To clarify - there are catered facilities in almost all the colleges. That is to say, either a 'snack bar', or a canteen where you can buy hot food. However, there is no such thing as 'catered accommadation' per se, where food is included in the cost of rent. So, if you never want to cook, you can just buy a meal every day. Or if you want to fend for yourself, I'm pretty sure there are cooking facilities (at least a small oven and two hobs, which will manage you absolutely fine) in every kitchen in every accommadation block. Or you can do both.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, 2 weeks before term is correct. There is no such thing as catering just flats with smaller kitchens. All colleges have an easily accessible dining hall and even the smaller kitchens are alright to cook in (i hear) and it is easier to make friends sincee you eat in each others rooms. Cheaper non en-suite usually means small kitchens! Whatever you specify will probably be ignored in terms of college. I got James and didnt ask but if people want en-suite say you want en-suite with a 34 week let, non smoking. For details about all colleges and kitchens and rooms etc. do a search on my username or a few other peoples (Juno_the, Charlord, Oldy and some other girl in my year, see the current york students thread).

Al

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alastair)
    if people want en-suite say you want en-suite with a 34 week let, non smoking.
    what happens if you put 38 weeks? is it more likely you won't get one?

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter? I don't know why everyone is so in need of an en-suite room, I'd say its more of an advantage not to have en-suite personally.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm just about to fill out my form and not going to ask for ensuite.. for the social aspect, or something. Also, I don't want to risk getting put in Alcuin to be honest.

Anything I can write / anyway I can fill out my form to try and bend it towards Derwent / Langwith / Vanbrugh?

ReputationRep:
    Eh I still haven't received this form yet - York was my insurance but as I didn't meet the grades for my firm thats where I'm going - but I am well pleased about it!!!!!!

I sent of the conformation slip of AS12 back to York today so when do you think I'll get a pack??????? Bit concerned as I go on holiday next Fri til Sep 2nd which could be cutting it a bit fine!

Thanks
    See you in York!

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I'm unfortunately not your postman, so am only guessing really, I reckon you'll get a pack on Monday. Some people seemed to get them on Thursday, some on Friday, I got mine today.. so there you have it. Before you go away at any rate, I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    i havent receieved my acommodation pack either but its prob cause im "international". Now thats interesting i didn't know catered accomodation didn't exist, guess i have an excuse to bring a good rice cooker then

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i didn't want ensuite, i didn't see much point in it really. i think everyone gets a basin and walking down a corridor to a shower really isn't a hassle for me. The only thing i don't want is to be put in somewhere far away from main campus.

Random question to Imasillynarb: do a lot of people user george foreman grills? i saw two in one kitchen when i visited!

ReputationRep:
    We had 1 in our kitchen, the girl who brought it was always moaning tho as we used to use it and not clean it up, and she said if u leave it to get dirty then clean it up it gets rid of the non-stick which is clearly a load of *******s, needless to say we still didn't clean it up so she locked it in her cupboard.

Thats about all I know with regards to the foreman situation, I'm bringing my own nxt year anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Does it matter? I don't know why everyone is so in need of an en-suite room, I'd say its more of an advantage not to have en-suite personally.
    i'd like an ensuite because im a lady, and ladies like ensuites. lol. if i have to share i suppose i could cope with that though.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it might be a pulling point for a guy... "i'm just off to take a shower...care to join me?"

Wow...I should really think before i type eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da_Head1)
    I suppose it might be a pulling point for a guy... "i'm just off to take a shower...care to join me?"
    "No."

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.