Turn on thread page Beta

Browsers watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onaed)
    i also believe that Google are designing a new browser ?

the tabbed browser seems to be the way forward
    as can be seen in IE7 (although the tabs look a bit poor at present...but its only a beta)

http://www.the-gateway.net/ie/

ReputationRep:
    Firefox does have some good points. These little points don't feature in MIE etc and people were so keen to leave MS for someone else that was half as good. It was in fact that MIE topped my own devised chart on 2 consecutive times. I still have the results on my usb device foir my HND. My teacher agreed with my findings wholeheartedly. Firefox is slow compared to a lot of browsers, but I do believe this is a result of computer specification. It would vary on different machines slightly.

Opera was good for a new browser and had great potential but I can't remember what let it down so badly.

ReputationRep:
    Opera's ok, Opera is great in fact on older machines but I can't seem to install it on my Linux laptop, installing Firefox was a doddle but Opera refuses to run on it, its got the latest kernal as well. However Opera on that laptop when it was windows based worked very well.

I don't like the adds on the top of the screen either, I know you can pay to remove them but I am perfectly happy with Firefox so I will stick with it.

Opera is probably technicaly better than Firefox though. To me IE just gives me far too many problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Firefox does have some good points. These little points don't feature in MIE etc and people were so keen to leave MS for someone else that was half as good. It was in fact that MIE topped my own devised chart on 2 consecutive times. I still have the results on my usb device foir my HND. My teacher agreed with my findings wholeheartedly. Firefox is slow compared to a lot of browsers, but I do believe this is a result of computer specification. It would vary on different machines slightly.

Opera was good for a new browser and had great potential but I can't remember what let it down so badly.
    FF and opera can be set up to beat IE but "out of the box" so to speak IE kicks their ass in terms of speed.

id be interesting in reviewing your work/findings out of curiousity...i wouldnt try to discredit them or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Opera's ok, Opera is great in fact on older machines but I can't seem to install it on my Linux laptop, installing Firefox was a doddle but Opera refuses to run on it, its got the latest kernal as well. However Opera on that laptop when it was windows based worked very well.

I don't like the adds on the top of the screen either, I know you can pay to remove them but I am perfectly happy with Firefox so I will stick with it.

Opera is probably technicaly better than Firefox though. To me IE just gives me far too many problems.
    its not difficult to acquire a key for it

ReputationRep:
    I am playing with Opera now and its not refreshing pages on here, it seems to be storing everything in the cache so I have to refresh just to see if there are any new posts. Firefox does it automaticaly everytime you go onto a page. The only thing thats stored in the cache is the images.

Actually its bahving now but it seems fairly slow, certainly no faster than Firefox or I.E.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdm708)
    I use Firefox. IMO its the best, thats why I use it. Shame you still have to switch back to MSIE for some site sthough, but theres a plugin that does this for you automatically.

firefox... it takes longer for it to load then msie but its far better.

and ooooo whats that plugin ? and any idea how it works

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I am playing with Opera now and its not refreshing pages on here, it seems to be storing everything in the cache so I have to refresh just to see if there are any new posts. Firefox does it automaticaly everytime you go onto a page. The only thing thats stored in the cache is the images.

Actually its bahving now but it seems fairly slow, certainly no faster than Firefox or I.E.

tools > preferences > advanced > history > set the "check" options at the bottom to "Always"

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I still notice its no qucker than Firefox though but its no slower. The problem is I ma using a Sempron 2800 with 512MB RAM with a highly regarded ASRock motherboard so its a very fast system for general applications. It loads all browsers instantly. I would better of testing them on my laptop as I said Opera won't work on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onaed)
    i also believe that Google are designing a new browser ?

the tabbed browser seems to be the way forward
    so much for Microsoft...

ReputationRep:
    I use Opera. Some things don't load properly like the text option thing in hotmail, but it doesn't bother me.

ReputationRep:
    FireFox.

An excellent shootout of browsers can be found here: http://gamezuk.com/forum/kb.php?mode=cat&cat=6

ReputationRep:
    I use Firefox. I found IE a pain, because it doens't have tabbed browsing, looks awful, and I found it much more cumbersome to use. I started to use Opera for a bit but I found it too much. Although it is better than Firefox I find Firefox is more user-friendly simply because I find it more accessible.

On saying that, the reasonfor that is probably just because I used it before Opera.

As for the speeds, I don't really notice any difference, apart from I can load several pages at once with Firefox and Opera, which makes it quicker for me to do things.

ReputationRep:
    I use Firefox. IMO its the best, thats why I use it. Shame you still have to switch back to MSIE for some site sthough, but theres a plugin that does this for you automatically.
    With the current version you have to tell it what pages to load in IE by going to the page and clicking Tools > Always view this page in IE. Theres also a button on the right-click menu that launches that page in IE just once. The plugin is called "IE View", I thinks its available on Mozilla Update. I *think* they're working on something that senses the page's requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone sure about IE being faster at loading pages? I find Firefox (especially with the speed hack) to be much faster.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2005
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.