Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think there could well be more than one problem, I guess I will need to speak to them to find out, if its £378 for each problem it could end up running into £1000's. In which case I just have to stay claim the dole and not bother getting a job till my teeth are fixed

ReputationRep:
    Quality of service or dentistry really shouldn't be any different between private or NHS, my dad is a dentist who runs his own surgery with a partner and i think they do more NHS work than private, even though they can make a lot more off of private work.
    My dad treats patients the same whether he is seeing them privately or on the NHS, the only difference being that the private patients get more dedicated time and obviously have more of a say as to what kind of treatment they want/recieve. I'm lucky though got a doctor as a granddad and a dentist as a dad so never have to wait in line at a doctors or dentists.

ReputationRep:
    Don't quote me on this, but I think there are certain things that NHS dentists just don't do any more. For instance, I had to have a tooth crowned a while ago. MY NHS dentist referred me to a private one because she said the NHS doesn't do tooth-coloured crowns any more - they'll only do silvery-grey ones that look like huge fillings. But I've left full-time education now, so this may not apply to students.

ReputationRep:
    I think the major difference is the quality of materials they use to do the procedures. I know my NHS dentist is a bit of a bully and pushes for the very best materials he can afford, but that isn't always the case. You'll probably get the same service and your teeth would be fixed with an NHS dentist but maybe the quality of the finish would not be as high.

NHS doesn't equal free when it comes to dentistry, so look at your options and see what the difference in price would be. If your teeth are really bad it may be worth the private treatment to have them working AND looking good rather than just working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I think the major difference is the quality of materials they use to do the procedures. I know my NHS dentist is a bit of a bully and pushes for the very best materials he can afford, but that isn't always the case. You'll probably get the same service and your teeth would be fixed with an NHS dentist but maybe the quality of the finish would not be as high.

NHS doesn't equal free when it comes to dentistry, so look at your options and see what the difference in price would be. If your teeth are really bad it may be worth the private treatment to have them working AND looking good rather than just working.
    Well they are working now, I am not getting much pain from them or anything and I don't think I have any gum problems, I think its mainly cosmetic though I ma sure I will need some fillings. The problem is my crowns will be quite large so they will have to match the colour of my teeth.

I wonder if I could go as an NHS patient but pay for certain things to be done private?

ReputationRep:
    NHS don't do that much cosmetic stuff I don't think you might have to pay for it privately anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    NHS don't do that much cosmetic stuff I don't think you might have to pay for it privately anyway.
    Yeah but the other stuff like fillings I could have done on the NHS. I think thats what my mum did, she needed a crown and she had to pay for that.

ReputationRep:
    if your teeth are that bad why weren't they done when you were younger?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    if your teeth are that bad why weren't they done when you were younger?
    They were, but when I was about 16/17 I went a really bad dentist who was later struck off, she made things a lot worse, I never picked up the courage to go back since.

When I was younger I had small green marks and the dentist didn't know what it was, this is now where I need the recapping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I really need to go to the dentist and I need a lot of cosmetic work doing as well as the usual fillings and god knows what.

However I've had a really bad experience of an NHS dentist, I am also scared stiff of them. Would I better going private? I can't afford go to private but I have a bit overdraft I could use. My teeth are starting to effect my confidence now.
    About a year ago I had a severe toothache and due to not being registered with an NHS dentist, had to go private. I ended up having a root canal filling, which cost me £300, including antibiotics. The dentist was really nice and very professional, and made me feel very comfortable. However, I have since registered with an NHS dentist and can honestly say their treatment is just as good; friendly dentist, nice practice, can always fit you in for an appointment. I think it all depends on the individual practice; if you are going to register at an NHS one, ask around and see if anyone else you know goes there and what they think. If you go for a check up/first appointment and dont like the place, try somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    I think thats what I will do, I think the place my mate goes is ok I will ask him but its miles away from me so I will probably try a local place first then if it I don't like it go else where.

What is a root cannal filling? My mum said when she went that they would put white crowns on in the front teeth but the back ones you have pay privately if you want them white, but I don't care what colour my back ones are.

ReputationRep:
    A root canal filling is when the nerve is removed from the tooth and then sealed, not as painful as everyone says but very uncomfortable to do- when I had mine it took 1.5 hours and I had metal wire holding the tooth open and a plastic mask over my face. Is that what you think you might need? When was the last time you visited a dentist? Im sure you will be fine when you go, if you are nervous then just tell them, hopefully they will make you feel more comfortable. If you want to relax, you could always take a personal cd player etc with you to listen to, they dont mind if you do that.

ReputationRep:
    I last went in 2000 I think. I am not sure if I need a root canal filling or not, I hoping its mainly cosmetic but then they don't look a mess for no reason. I am going to probably claim job seekers from next week and then try and get an NHS dentist.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it really hard to get hold of an NHS dentist these days?!

Anyway AT82, if you're a bit scared of the dentist, just explain when you make the appointment that you're not keen and they'll be especially nice to you. Also if you go with someone you won't walk out and better still if you find a dentist recommened by a friend, then you'll know they're good.

It's best to bit the bullet and get registered now, as you might just keep putting it off! Once you're registered, it's done. Also, you don't want to wait til you get toothache to find a dentist, as that would be more scary!

Good luck hun and I hope you find one

ReputationRep:
    Im going to have to go private to get some braces done, any idea as to how much it will cost me?

ReputationRep:
    I am REALLY scared of going to the dentist, so scared that I got up and leggged it out half way through root canal!!! so now i have a hole in one of me back teeth.... I have gone private and they are so caring.. i asked to be put under general but they suggest this laughing gas stuff instead... i'm going on september 1st to have some work done... im still scared but private ones dont rush so much and they take more time and care about you more (well i think they are more caring)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.