Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So is history at a top 5 uni good? im really worried now!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, history at a top 5 uni is good. Boaster :rolleyes:

And TBH working at Quiksilver sounds like a mickey mouse job to go with the degree, but if its a good job its a good job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    Media studies isnt a 'Mickey mouse' degree. It has relevance to anyone willing to work in the media.. Many a presenter/writer/PR.. etc would have such a degree that placed them where they are today.
    Do you honestly think that? A lot of presenters don't have degrees as they're so young (drop out actors perhaps?)...and writers, well any writer worth his salt would never take a media studies course. Hmpf. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newcastle University)
    Media Studies

Course content: In Stage 1 you will gain a firm grounding in a wide range of disciplinary approaches to communication, covering areas such as human interaction, online communication, the history of communication, studying communication through language as well as social communication and communication of culture. You also have the opportunity to take modules in other subjects offered by the University such as management, marketing, modern languages, English and sociology.

In Stages 2 and 3 you complete core modules in communication research, information and communication technology and an employment-related project, which ensures that you gain first-hand experience of communication issues in the workplace. You also have the opportunity to focus in more depth on particular areas of communication, choosing from a wide range of modules that includes advertising, communication and language, communicating in professional contexts, media communication, sexual communication and information and communication technology. You are also able to continue studying modules in other subjects offered by the University.
    OK, so... looking at how people talk, surfing the web and looking at sexy actresses.

ReputationRep:
    i do that already

wahey, i have a degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    If only this was the case...

Well let me think. I want to work In Psychology.. so Im taking a Psychology degree. Pretty straight foward there.

Media studies isnt a 'Mickey mouse' degree. It has relevance to anyone willing to work in the media.. Many a presenter/writer/PR.. etc would have such a degree that placed them where they are today.

Heres some lovely info.. - "In 2003, Staffordshire University was mocked as providing 'David Beckham Studies' as it provided a module on the footballer as part of its Sports Science course. Other degrees deemed 'Mickey Mouse' include Golf Management, Surfing Studies, Wine Studies and Boxing."

Also a BA Hons in Air conditioning saounds interesting..
    wine studies??? oh my gosh! and to think i nearly wasted my life with a law degree?????? sign me up, my vocation is clear. i am home.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it matters much to your life how much academically you have done as long as you've achieved to the satisfactory level.

not all the millionnairs went to college or even high school.
    other traits matter just as equally important as a piece of paper, maybe more important even.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether you mean brewery by wine studies, but I remember reading about the brewery degree. In actual fact, it was tough to get into - 7 places - and one's life science A levels had to be superb. The students were sponsored by breweries throughout and this is the best bit - I bet they got to drink in lectures!

ReputationRep:
    I love myself personally, well I think if you don't love anyone esle (except family) you may as well feel full admiration for one's own achievements. I am proud of a 4 A AS Level result, 291, 291. 281, 273 because I made an effort to do well in 6th year and then relax in the year coming, which I can now do.

ReputationRep:
    interesting points made by all so far, i think it is fair to conclude that the situation (as far as mickey mouse degrees are concerned) is getting worse, yes media studies may have some use but even the most bleeding heart liberal of you cant say that "surf science" is not a doss degree. it may also be important to say that we should not percive "gold standard subjects" (e.g. maths history) any higher because of this fact, they only appear harder than they actually are in the light of things like wine studies etc. be weary of degrees such as surf science, but equally do not assume that by doing a degree in maths at a top 5 in the leauge tables uni you will magically gain a top job, top salary, fast car and small cottage in dorset and generally an easier life

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.