Turn on thread page Beta

Uni Fashion watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a question, and its not one i really know the answer to,

How much do people care about fashion at uni? Personally, i care about my appearance, but are people more or less fashion conscious at uni than elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    some care, some don't its like anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Do "in uni" trends occur? like fads

ReputationRep:
    people wear what they want...

i'll wear my trackies and trainers if i want...or my combats...or my jeans. im wearing it after all and its not offensive or stupid looking

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person... some people care a lot, some people not at all and of course the people in the middle.
    Just like anywhere else really. Of course inevitably people make more of an effort at the beginning. Before giving in to the 'student look' which usually consists of trainers jeans and hoodies :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    whats the point of getting dressed up, you're not there to impress. save the shirts, not ripped jeans and darker trainers for going out on the pull.

ReputationRep:
    Fashion will always be important to me. Call me shallow but I don't give a ****. I love it.

I naturally make the effort to always look good, it's not a chore for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roadkill)
    Fashion will always be important to me. Call me shallow but I don't give a ****. I love it.

I naturally make the effort to always look good, it's not a chore for me.
    yeah i always make the effort. i couldnt bare to go out in something all miss-matched or unconsidered, i'd feel so emmbarrased. thats not being shallow its having self respect and wanting to create a positive impression on other people. i could never just jump out of bed and shove anything on, unless it was an outfit that i wore regually and i knew looked good.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm always fussing over what I wear. But that's because I am always so bored and don't have many things to do with myself.

I will hopefully change when I get to uni and discover there are more important things than being colour coordinated!!

ReputationRep:
    What I wore at uni depended on how hungover I was...if I couldn't be arsed and had an early morning lecture it would probably be jeans and hoody...otherwise prob something a bit nicer...most people don't care what you wear at uni...they will see you wear the same clothes over and over again anyway...

ReputationRep:
    For lectures, it doesn't matter. Comfy jeans and a hoody. For going out, whatever you want really. I dress up, because I like to. For formals, obviously I wear nice stuff. It depends on the place you go to, but it's a lot more casual.

ReputationRep:
    There was a similar thread before. At actual Uni, for lectures and stuff, I'd say people care a lot less. Especially when it comes to so-called trends. I mean you're going to see less people all dressed the same. Usually each person has their own of way of dressing.
    But students still need clothes... they just know how to buy them better without looking like a clown. But it's when you're going out that you really should be impressing.

Although it's quite nice to occasionally walk past a girl in a nice skirt instead of just jeans. :rolleyes: But then again, that might be because I'm at Imperial. We have a huge celebration every time that happens.

ReputationRep:
    i always look a mess at uni.

some people are obviously concious of their look, and they do indeed look good, but thankfully for me, many students can not be bothered and also look a mess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchiBoi)
    I have a question, and its not one i really know the answer to,

How much do people care about fashion at uni? Personally, i care about my appearance, but are people more or less fashion conscious at uni than elsewhere?

well I care how good I look, but during winter the popular thing is skinny jeans and your highschool's senior jersey, talk about strange!!! :eek:

Most of my stuff is all from Dotti becuase, yes, I work there and cant be stuffed changing clothes from work to go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessa)
    i always look a mess at uni.

some people are obviously concious of their look, and they do indeed look good, but thankfully for me, many students can not be bothered and also look a mess.
    It's better to look like a mess at Uni and know how to dress up when going out or when going somewhere formal anyway.

It's no wonder there's sometimes that scruffy stereotypical look of a student who's badly shaved, wearing unironed scruffy clothes...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think fashion matters as much as good common dress sense. There is no harm in dressing comfortably, but conservatively for all occasions. I am sure you good go almost anywhere, or do almost anything, wearing a shirt, jumper, and jeans. Really thats all you need. Forget about fashion, wearing an absurdly colored turtleneck with a pair of purple shorts. Just be conservative, wear something like the above, and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    It's better to look like a mess at Uni and know how to dress up when going out or when going somewhere formal anyway.

It's no wonder there's sometimes that scruffy stereotypical look of a student who's badly shaved, wearing unironed scruffy clothes...
    yes, my excuse for looking like a tramp most of the time is that when i have a reason to look nice i will wow everyone with my stunningness :indiff: . if i look like that every day no one will notice a difference, which would be a shame. thats my excuse and im sticking to it.

my mum hates that i never use an iron, she would die if she knew that i dont even iron shirts at uni. the iron never got switched on in my student house this year! ah i dont think we look that bad on the whole, just nothing special, most of us dont go round wearing designer gear basically. my jeans are only ripped cause they are too long. otherwise i think most people at uni dress in normal, bog standard young fashions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvincitus)
    I don't think fashion matters as much as good common dress sense. There is no harm in dressing comfortably, but conservatively for all occasions. I am sure you good go almost anywhere, or do almost anything, wearing a shirt, jumper, and jeans. Really thats all you need. Forget about fashion, wearing an absurdly colored turtleneck with a pair of purple shorts. Just be conservative, wear something like the above, and you will be fine.
    I don't think that's a good attitude: having the same clothes to do almost anything and go almost anywhere. In my opinion, you should have the clothes you lounge around at home with and go to the local store in, clothes for Uni, clothes to go out, clothes for a date, clothes for a formal occasion, clothes to go into town. Well that's what I think anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    I don't think that's a good attitude: having the same clothes to do almost anything and go almost anywhere. In my opinion, you should have the clothes you lounge around at home with and go to the local store in, clothes for Uni, clothes to go out, clothes for a date, clothes for a formal occasion, clothes to go into town. Well that's what I think anyway.
    Of course I don't mean that you wear jeans and a jumper to an awards banquet, but for the vast majority of day-to-day events, it simplifies matters to dress conservatively. You could lounge around at home in a shirt and jeans. Put on a jumper to go to the local store, wear around the University, go out, or go on a date. If the event requires better dressing, change your jeans to trousers, and perhaps use a better shirt. This takes care of most things without one having to maintain a twenty item wardrobe.

ReputationRep:
    what do postgrads wear in general?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.