The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Vienna
For something or some action to be illegal it has to be in breach or violation of some code of law. The only thing you've demonstrated here is your belief that Jewish settlers had no rights despite the Mandate for Palestine and the UN Charter stating the contrary. Your belief that Jewish persons on the land now known as Israel, did not own that land despite purchasing it from the respective deed holders. Arab land owners I assume did own that land by virtue of not being Jewish? I'd be interested to know who you believe that land did belong to while under Ottoman and later, Jordanian occupation, and in light of the fact that the State of Israel was founded with the acknowledgement and recognition of the League of Nations, on what basis the creation of state was 'illegal'.

These mandates did not take in regard the harsh social-political consequences of the Arab-Palestinian inhabitants of the land. They were driven as a result of what i like to call the holocaust factor.

Not all the occupied territories were previously owned by the deed holders. Pre-Israeli landowners had very little or no right to sell land inhabited by the Palestinians to the Jewsih settlers. The argument of previous land ownership is not worth pursuing as it was way too insiginificant in the grand sceme of things and ignores the ethical nature of the issue as a whole.

"I'd be interested to know who you believe that land did belong to while under Ottoman and later, Jordanian occupation"
The land would of belonged to Arab Muslims and furthermore the the majority of the inhabitants would have been Arab Muslims!!

"State of Israel was founded with the acknowledgement and recognition of the League of Nations"
The League of Nations was disbanded as it was not ratified by any of the major world powers at the time. Anything carried out by the enforcement, ratification of the league of nations is therefore questionable

Chrism
If you use that argument, practically every country in existence is at least partly illegal.

Israel my friend is more than partly illegal, it is almost entirely illegal. The existence and continuation of the State of Israel not only goes against justice and ethics it goes against the Torah, the infallible scripture upon whom the 'Israelis' base their religion.

Listen i am not saying Israel should be disbanded because that will never happen. All muslims realise that Isreal will exist whether they like it or not. However, the daily injustice of the Palestinian people needs to be addressed quickly. The evacuation of settlers and IDF from all Palestinian areas (gaza,west bank) will go about setting the foundation for further reconciliation.
Reply 81
watford110
These mandates did not take in regard the harsh social-political consequences of the Arab-Palestinian inhabitants of the land. They were driven as a result of what i like to call the holacaust factor.

They did. That's why mandate Palestine was partitioned, twice. The first time in 1919, when the Arab population was given 75% of the territory to the exclusion of the Jews in what's now Jordan. And then again in 1947 when the remainign 25% of mandate Palestine was partitioned according to settlement patterns between the Arabs and the Jews.

If you think Israel only exists because of the Torah, btw, you've almost entirely misunderstood Zionism. Nevertheless, if you think the Torah doesn't support the existence of the state of Israel, you're relying on a very controversial and narrowly believed interpretation. The vast majority of Jewish scholars do support its existence.
H&E
They did. That's why mandate Palestine was partitioned, twice. The first time in 1919, when the Arab population was given 75% of the territory to the exclusion of the Jews in what's now Jordan. And then again in 1947 when the remainign 25% of mandate Palestine was partitioned according to settlement patterns between the Arabs and the Jews.

If you think Israel only exists because of the Torah, btw, you've almost entirely misunderstood Zionism. Nevertheless, if you think the Torah doesn't support the existence of the state of Israel, you're relying on a very controversial and narrowly believed interpretation. The vast majority of Jewish scholars do support its existence.

The 1919 mandate was widely regarded as little more than a statement of zionist policy composed by Zionists.

The Zionist federation in february 1919 at the Peace conference pronounced its views on how the Balfour decleration should be put in force. The zionsit federation at the time had little support from the Jewry. The drafting of the mandate was meant to be carried out by a neutral body. However, there is sufficient proof that the overwhelming influence came from the zionist federation.

Up to 9 articles of the mandate were almost exact views expresssed by the Zionist feferartion at the Peace conference.

For example article 6 stated that; "The administration of Palestine . . . shall facilitate Jewish immigration . . . and shall encourage close settlement by Jews on the land." Here is the Zionist statement of views to the Peace conference: "The Mandatory Power shall, inter alia, promote Jewish immigration and close settlement on the land." These two extracts show the striking similarity between the artcles and is furhther proof how Zionist propaganda prevailed. Therefore i stand by my viewpoint with regards to mandates.

Following the 1947 resolution 181. An israeli land grab meant that it owned up to 77% of Palestinian territory. Also larger parts of Jerusalem were under Israeli control. This ultimately led to HALF the indiginous Palestinian popultaion to be expelled or flee from their homes.
Anthrax
The Gaza pullout is a truly terrible thing for Israeli-Jews, Europe and America.

Islamic terrorists will flood into the region and use it as a base for further attacks against the infidels.

My deepest sympathies go to all Jewish-Israelis removed from Gaza.

i see
Bismarck
Israel controlled (and continues to control for now) Gaza's coastline and its border with Egypt. If Israel stops doing this, it is very likely that weapons or terrorists will find their way into Gaza into numbers that have been unimaginable when Israel controlled the areas.

i thought we were trying to create a palestinian state?
how so when israel controls everything?
gemgems89
What's wrong with the support and development of Israel? If there was no support, it wouldn't exist. If there was no development, it would be pretty stagnant.

its illegal?
Reply 86
kriztinae
i thought we were trying to create a palestinian state?
how so when israel controls everything?

No, the question is: how so when the PA cant control its own backyard without Israeli help?
watford110
These mandates did not take in regard the harsh social-political consequences of the Arab-Palestinian inhabitants of the land. They were driven as a result of what i like to call the holacaust factor.

Not all the occupied territories were previously owned by the deed holders. Pre-Israeli landowners had very little or no right to sell land inhabited by the Palestinians to the Jewsih settlers. The argument of previous land ownership is not worth pursuing as it was way too insiginificant in the grand sceme of things and ignores the ethical nature of the issue as a whole.

It would of belonged to Arab Muslims and furthermore the the majority of the inhabitants would have been Arab Muslims!!

The League of Nations was disbanded as it was not ratified by any of the major world powers at the time. Anything carried out by the enforcement, ratification of the league of nations is therefore questionable

Israel my friend is more than partly illegal, it is almost entirely illegal. The existence and continuation of the State of Israel not only goes against justice and ethics it goes against the Torah, the infallible scripture upon whom the 'Israelis' base their religion.

Listen i am not saying Israel should be disbanded because that will never happen. All muslims realise that Isreal will exist whether they like it or not. However, the daily injustice of the Palestinian people needs to be addressed quickly. The evacuation of settlers and IDF from all Palestinian areas (gaza,west bank) will go about setting the foundation for further reconciliation.

excellent post
Vienna
No, the question is: how so when the PA cant control its own backyard without Israeli help?

PA?
Reply 89
kriztinae
excellent post

Its largely inaccurate and built on moral opinion rather than legal technicalities, which doesnt count for much if you declare a internationally recognised state to be illegal.
Reply 90
kriztinae
PA?

Palestinian Authorities
Vienna
Its largely inaccurate and built on moral opinion rather than legal technicalities, which doesnt count for much if you declare a internationally recognised state to be illegal.

and THATS why it was ignored by you! :rolleyes:
Vienna
Palestinian Authorities

i see and who exactly asked for israeli's intervention there?
it cannot control their own back yard in favour of the israelis. that makes much more sence.
wait lets see... i really dont like the malta's foreign policy with regards to cyprus, i might have to do something about that :rolleyes:
i see your point :wink:
Reply 93
kriztinae
and THATS why it was ignored by you! :rolleyes:

It was ignored because I dont respond to such "multi-quote" posting.
Reply 94
kriztinae
i see and who exactly asked for israeli's intervention there?
it cannot control their own back yard in favour of the israelis. that makes much more sence.
wait lets see... i really dont like the malta's foreign policy with regards to cyprus, i might have to do something about that :rolleyes:
i see your point :wink:

You make the alarming assumption that the land under Palestinian jurisdiction is also under their sovereign control. It isnt because they are unable to exercise sovereign control. As the land belongs to no sovereign national power, Israel has the right to exercise external security measures to protect the State of Israel, and the people in the disputed terroritories under Israeli jurisdiction. If the PA could also offer assurances that they could handle internal and external security matters for land under their jurisdiction, then Israel would happily dilute its military presence. The PA could not, did not and didnt want to, as Israel was doing a far better job of it. The Israeli's clearly were unwilling to rely on the assurances of someone like Arafat, but have now taken a first step in handing control of Gaza over to the Palestinians. The ball is now in the Palestinian court; they must be demonstrate that they are able to effectively control and offer security, such that a Palestinian state may exist.
Vienna
You make the alarming assumption that the land under Palestinian jurisdiction is also under their sovereign control. It isnt because they are unable to exercise sovereign control. As the land belongs to no sovereign national power, Israel has the right to exercise external security measures to protect the State of Israel, and the people in the disputed terroritories under Israeli jurisdiction. If the PA could also offer assurances that they could handle internal and external security matters for land under their jurisdiction, then Israel would happily dilute its military presence. The PA could not, did not and didnt want to, as Israel was doing a far better job of it. The Israeli's clearly were unwilling to rely on the assurances of someone like Arafat, but have now taken a first step in handing control of Gaza over to the Palestinians. The ball is now in the Palestinian court; they must be demonstrate that they are able to effectively control and offer security, such that a Palestinian state may exist.

so it now being controlled by the PA's?
i thought israel still controls it?
Vienna
For something or some action to be illegal it has to be in breach or violation of some code of law. The only thing you've demonstrated here is your belief that Jewish settlers had no rights despite the Mandate for Palestine and the UN Charter stating the contrary. Your belief that Jewish persons on the land now known as Israel, did not own that land despite purchasing it from the respective deed holders. Arab land owners I assume did own that land by virtue of not being Jewish? I'd be interested to know who you believe that land did belong to while under Ottoman and later, Jordanian occupation, and in light of the fact that the State of Israel was founded with the acknowledgement and recognition of the League of Nations, on what basis the creation of state was 'illegal'.

These mandates did not take in regard the harsh social-political consequences of the Arab-Palestinian inhabitants of the land. They were driven as a result of what i like to call the holocaust factor.

"I'd be interested to know who you believe that land did belong to while under Ottoman and later, Jordanian occupation"
The land would of belonged to Arab Muslims and furthermore the the majority of the inhabitants would have been Arab Muslims!!

"State of Israel was founded with the acknowledgement and recognition of the League of Nations"

Chrism
If you use that argument, practically every country in existence is at least partly illegal.

Reply 97
watford110

That doesnt alter the validity of that document. That doesnt alter the rights afforded to Jewish settlers. Your disagreement with the Mandate for Palestine is not an argument for the illegality of Jewish settlement, particuarly when the Mandate for Palestine is also the basis for Palestinian claims to any kind of state.

"Ethical nature" is not a basis for an argument of illegality.

So if the state of Israel was largely Arab and Muslim it would not be illegal?

The rights of Jewish settlement was preserved in Article 80 of the UN Charter.

The existence and continuation of the State of Israel not only goes against justice and ethics it goes against the Torah

Against what justice? You havent cited a single judicial decision that declares Israel illegal.
Reply 98
watford110
The 1919 mandate was widely regarded as little more than a statement of zionist policy composed by Zionists.

So how come it resulted in Jews being excluded from 75% of the territory and only given rights to live in (not to the exclusion of the Arabs, or anyone else for that matter) 25%?

watford110
Following the 1947 resolution 181. An israeli land grab meant that it owned up to 77% of Palestinian territory. Also larger parts of Jerusalem were under Israeli control. This ultimately led to HALF the indiginous Palestinian popultaion to be expelled or flee from their homes.

This is just unbelievable. Egypt, Jordan, Syria (and even Iraq, IIRC) rejected the resolution, launched a war on Israel intended on its compelte destruction, and because Israel had the temerity to fight back and win you dare call it a land-grab?

Your 77% figure is inaccurate, btw. It's 77% of the 25% of mandate Palestine which hadn't already been given to the Arab populace. Namely 22%. So the Arabs had 78%, the Jews 22%.
Vienna

until VERY recently (ie last year) israel was actively attacking PA members and offices. is it any wonder they have relatively little power?

Can i just ask about the settling in gaza strip. Do you think it's ok.
personally i think israel is legitimate, but don't think the settlements are.
Especially the gaza ones, but the west bank ones too.
after all in gaza the situation was VERY LITERALLY that settlers would be given confiscated land - land confiscated incidentally for security reasons.

the olive farms which the settlers were using were planted by the great grandfolk of the palestinians evicted from there (in case there were hamas in the using it as cover)

is it any wonder they were somewhat miffed.

Gaza is one of the most densely populated areas in the planet, and yet huge swathes were taken over for just 8000 israeli settlers. Sure, i'll be they took less than 10% of the land area (that includes security cordons and exclusion zones designed solely to protect the settlers - not israel proper), but 8000 people in a land with over a million palestinians...
:rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending