Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OCR History has had serious marking problems for the AS modules this year. Many people who deserve As have got Bs and Cs. Especially the essay papers. I reckon everyone shud go for a remark if they are close to a boundary as marks are bound to go up.

ReputationRep:
    errr. i did OCR and got 292... now i think i worked hard enough for that mark... and dont think that there was a problem with my marking. I think i throughly deserved that after all my hard work, so if there is a problem with marking on that then i certainly didnt get caught in it.

ReputationRep:
    EVERYONE in my school got at least a grade lower than they should have done with OCR AS History.

ReputationRep:
    right... but in my school, most people got exactly what they wanted. Weird

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we had a dud examiner. Anyhow will retake Nazi module in January.

ReputationRep:
    You know what though... if it was most people in your school feeling the same... it could be a crap examiner... it could be crap teaching... or your teacher might have been too generous with predicted grades and therefore, people expected more then they were capable of .... i dont know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawHopeful)
    You know what though... if it was most people in your school feeling the same... it could be a crap examiner... it could be crap teaching... or your teacher might have been too generous with predicted grades and therefore, people expected more then they were capable of .... i dont know.
    Could've been anything I suppose. But lots of schools have had problems with this...

ReputationRep:
    Hey, hope this isnt too much of a dead thread but just wanted to say....

This is encouraging to hear. I got 256 in OCR history, so obviously i was delighted to get an A.

But....

I was positive i had aced my essay questions, was expecting results in the mid 80s anyway, not trying to be too arrogant. Anyway, i got 72 and 77, the lesser being on the module i was particularly confident with.

So, anyway, i am not sure to do about the remark etc. Cos, it could go down.

Just to comment on what LawHopeful said.....it has nothing to do with my school, which is excellent. Teachers are never on the leniant side of marking etc....

Seeing as YouKnewThat! said lots of schools had been effected, i thought i would mention my case too.

BTW i dont know how the school as a whole did, its a boarding school, got results over the phone so i cant say if it was a trend, but i would not have been surprised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom391)
    Hey, hope this isnt too much of a dead thread but just wanted to say....

This is encouraging to hear. I got 256 in OCR history, so obviously i was delighted to get an A.

But....

I was positive i had aced my essay questions, was expecting results in the mid 80s anyway, not trying to be too arrogant. Anyway, i got 72 and 77, the lesser being on the module i was particularly confident with.

So, anyway, i am not sure to do about the remark etc. Cos, it could go down.

Just to comment on what LawHopeful said.....it has nothing to do with my school, which is excellent. Teachers are never on the leniant side of marking etc....

Seeing as YouKnewThat! said lots of schools had been effected, i thought i would mention my case too.

BTW i dont know how the school as a whole did, its a boarding school, got results over the phone so i cant say if it was a trend, but i would not have been surprised.
    I got 72 and 77 in essay questions too . I'm retaking the 72 module on a different topic that we study for A2 anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I got 77 and 86 for the essays. It's the document studies that messed me up! But I'm glad I'm not the only one having problems..

ReputationRep:
    umm we had this at our school too, although i got an A - 263 everyones module marks for the English History module were much lower than expected , for instance i got A in Nazi 112/120, A in Spainish History 90/90 and a C in English 61/90 despite ENglish history normally being my strongest module, Lots of my friends had the same grades. Boooooo don't think i will have a remark unless my school suggests it - it could just as well be a teaching problem in that module though.

I'm pleased in a way to know other ppl are having this common error and its not just me!!

ReputationRep:
    With OCR I got 87/90 for the Peel paper (so English History) which I thought I didn't do particularly well on. I got 80/90 for coursework (A2) which I didn't even write full sentences for but on the paper I knew I had aced I only got 58/120 so an E which pulled my grade down from an A at A2 to a B. I don't know whether to get it remarked as I still met my offer... I don't want to risk going down again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluebird)
    OCR History has had serious marking problems for the AS modules this year. Many people who deserve As have got Bs and Cs. Especially the essay papers. I reckon everyone shud go for a remark if they are close to a boundary as marks are bound to go up.
    OCR has serious marking problems, full stop. i took AS history last year and, although i got an A, i was one of very few who met their predictions, so i think that the low marks may be something that happens quite frequently with that exam board. similarly, most of my year fell foul of one of the most impressive marking ****-ups i've ever heard of in OCR english last year - in a grammar school where at least half of the AS english students were predicted As, only 7 people got them because of the marks for one shakespeare paper, in which over 50% of the year ended up with a D or lower.

...and did OCR remark that paper? no, they most certainly did not, despite, i think, three appeals from the school, plus newspaper coverage of similar stories (i think cheltenham ladies college had exactly the same problem).

the only thing that you can do is to take the resit. frankly, OCR is unlikely to budge and accept that the papers were badly marked. if it's any consolation, this year's OCR A2 history exam was uncommonly difficult, and OCR appears to have moderated lots of grades up. so the poor marking is something of a double-edged sword.

ReputationRep:
    Same thing happened to our class - predicted majority As, yet got Bs (including me). Remarks to no avail. Had to retake a module - if I hadn't, in retrospect, I wouldn't have gotten an A at A2... damn the benders.

ReputationRep:
    THANKGOD! Someone else is thinking the same as me! I go to a good school where nearly all of our AS class got A's at GCSE and yet this year out of 14 pupils, only one person got a B with the rest getting D or below! I will re-sit my document studies but do you think its worth asking for a re-mark? How long does it take to get the marks back?

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting my OCR unit 2 paper sent to me. I got 63/90, which really is not a reflection of how the exam went. However, I didn't want to request a straight remark as it is only just a B. I would not want that paper going down to a C. Everyone who took that paper got a poor mark.

ReputationRep:
    OCR really need to sort out their marking !! i cant believe how many other ppl are haveing the same problem

ReputationRep:
    Yea I'm getting my OCR document studies AS paper and my themes through History paper photocopies sent to me. I really think they must have messed up or I took the questions the wrong way, but I prefer to believe the former...

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.