Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelia_pink)
    Topshop is the best place to shop on the high street in my opinion. They provide you with all the trends before they come in instead of after when no one is wearing it like other shops. Plus you get a 10% student discount so its not as expensive as it seems. Also the people in there are lovely and help with whatever you need help with. Plus they have huge changing rooms.
    I got some great skinny jeans today (the new Baxter ones) would definately recommend, also there was a buy 1 get 1 free offer on shoes, yes i got some cos it worked out at about £12 a pair and thats without the student discount.
    The Oxford Street one is definately the best, it is my Mecca.
    I just bought those Baxter jeans too, they're so cool! Although I did have to get a waist size 2 or 3 inches bigger than normal...
    I think Topshop is great, it can be a little expensive but most of the stuff I've had seems to be of excellent quality, for example a pair of jeans I bought 4 years ago which I still have and still look really good.
    The only complaint I would have is with the sizing. Usually I'm an 8 on top and a 10 on he bottom, but I have lots of different sizes from tophop. I have one dress which is a 6(!) that I bought for a formal dinner at university, yet I also have 8, 10 and 12 clothes from there! When I bought the baxter jeans, I tried them in two different colours, same size, one fitted, and the other would hardly do up! Even in the same style jeans! But I don't mind buying a different size if it means a better fit, the only annoying thing is having to get someone to go and get a different size for you after you take the one you think will fit you into the changing rooms!

ReputationRep:
    i LOVE topshop! 90% of my clothes and shoes are from there!! i get all my trousers and jeans from there because they're the only place i can get 36" inside leg :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingqueen)
    I just bought those Baxter jeans too, they're so cool! Although I did have to get a waist size 2 or 3 inches bigger than normal...
    I think Topshop is great, it can be a little expensive but most of the stuff I've had seems to be of excellent quality, for example a pair of jeans I bought 4 years ago which I still have and still look really good.
    The only complaint I would have is with the sizing. Usually I'm an 8 on top and a 10 on he bottom, but I have lots of different sizes from tophop. I have one dress which is a 6(!) that I bought for a formal dinner at university, yet I also have 8, 10 and 12 clothes from there! When I bought the baxter jeans, I tried them in two different colours, same size, one fitted, and the other would hardly do up! Even in the same style jeans! But I don't mind buying a different size if it means a better fit, the only annoying thing is having to get someone to go and get a different size for you after you take the one you think will fit you into the changing rooms!
    I dont bother aking someone to get them for me, just walk out and get them myself, they ever mind and its usually quicker. Also with that problem just prepare beforehand and take in three different sizes just in case. You just end up buried beneath a pile of jeans but if u find some that fit the its worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Lol I actually could live in Topshop!
    Know what you mean, sometimes when in the changing rooms i actually think of just staying there overnight, know one would notice surely.

ReputationRep:
    I think H&M is my fave shop to be honest- Top Shop is nice but it isnt as cheap and some of the clothes are a bit plain! Whereas in H&M you can find all kinds of things and they are normally really cheap as well

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: i much prefer h&m And the only time i can usually find nice stuff in topshop is the one on Oxford St, I find most of the smaller branches tend to not have very nice clothes in - maybe its just around here though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_e)
    :ditto: i much prefer h&m And the only time i can usually find nice stuff in topshop is the one on Oxford St, I find most of the smaller branches tend to not have very nice clothes in - maybe its just around here though!
    Well, the closest Topshop/Topman to where I live is in Romford, the chavcapital of the UK. This subtly reflects on the stuff they stock, making it look cheap and well.. chav.
    Oxford Street on the other hand.. wonderful lovely place. Although those women's only H&M shops piss me off.

ReputationRep:
    There is a Topshop in nearly every town, whereas there is only one H&M within about a 30 miles radius of where I live, as far as I know. Other than that, I love H&M.

ReputationRep:
    I do love H&M's prices, but I can never actually find anything I like. The nearest one to my town is half an hour away by car, and its always a total mess so it takes hours to trawl through it all. Hmm...not my favourite!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    I do love H&M's prices, but I can never actually find anything I like. The nearest one to my town is half an hour away by car, and its always a total mess so it takes hours to trawl through it all. Hmm...not my favourite!
    On the other hand, if you want something simple, like a plain white T-shirt, you can guarantee H&M will have it in every size, style, shape and fabric you could imagine, and they'll have one which is exactly what you're looking for. H&M's cheap T-shirts rock. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I think H&M and Zara are much better value for money than Topshop. It's also really obvious when an item of clothing is from Topshop, and I think it's sad when people dress head to toe in clothes from Topshop. The prices are getting more and more stupid, for instance a non-leather small bag (which felt thin and cheap like paper) for £35. It's not all bad though, because you know if you need a new top or something they'll have something. I could spend hours in the Oxford Street branch. However, I personally think there are better, more interesting places to spend money.

ReputationRep:
    Topman is ****. Although i'm sure if you wanted to look like thaty it'd be 'good'. I also hate wandering around topshop with girls. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erk)
    Topman is ****. Although i'm sure if you wanted to look like thaty it'd be 'good'. I also hate wandering around topshop with girls. :rolleyes:
    Oh man, the 4 floors of topshop on oxford street are like hell, with crap accessories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    Oh man, the 4 floors of topshop on oxford street are like hell, with crap accessories.
    Hahaha, been there fella.

ReputationRep:
    It's all about Primark! Went in there with £12, came out with a nice pair of jeans, some random jogging bottoms for lounging around in during winter and a nice shirt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    It's all about Primark! Went in there with £12, came out with a nice pair of jeans, some random jogging bottoms for lounging around in during winter and a nice shirt!
    Primark in Birmingham tends to be a bit hit-and-miss, though my £12 military jacket is still going strong after wearing it practically every day! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susiemakemeblue)
    A couple of years ago I stopped even going into Topshop because everything they had was really minging!
    I don't go into topshop because literally everyone from my school dresses exclusively from there, they're like a topshop catalogue :rolleyes: So i don't go there because I don't want to be another clone.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by poptart86)
    I think H&M is my fave shop to be honest- Top Shop is nice but it isnt as cheap and some of the clothes are a bit plain! Whereas in H&M you can find all kinds of things and they are normally really cheap as well
    H&M is like a jumble sale! You can't find anything nice, and when you do you can't find one in your size unless it has been labelled incorrectly and therefore isn't your size anyway!

And they convert from the American sizes wrongly so you have to guess what you are.

Topshop isn't that great, but they sometimes have nice things.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who finds that TopShop jeans don't fit properly? I have loads of their jeans, but all the new ones just don't fit right. And I've not put on weight. Lost it in fact.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Smiley_Me)
    Am I the only one who finds that TopShop jeans don't fit properly? I have loads of their jeans, but all the new ones just don't fit right. And I've not put on weight. Lost it in fact.
    Topshop jeans don't fit me either. But all shops' jeans vary, so eventually you will find some jeans that fit you really well. I like Monsoon and Jasper Conran. Next are OK.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 2, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.