The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - Hyper Awesome mega thread for simple applicant questions!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Guys it was a joke. :sigh:
Sakujo
Guys it was a joke. :sigh:

Bro I know that, and you know that. How she missed it surprises me.
vas876
Bro I know that, and you know that. How she missed it surprises me.

Lol sometimes the opposite sex interprets things differently...:girl:
1 Formula
Lol sometimes the opposite sex interprets things differently...:girl:

All the time, they drive me nuts.

I just say stuff, i dont add extra meaning to things.
crazylemon
Doing nothing is a legitimate choice though.
By switching the points you are actively killing someone. By doing nothing you are letting nature/fate take its course

Doing nothing when you had the opportunity to do something does not absolve you of blame for what then occurred.

[QUOTE="Narik"]I really can't be asked doing extra work I don't need to next year. :smile:/QUOTE]

You're doing 5 AS and 1 A2 in a year, and you only want to try and get away with the minimum amount of work required? :lolwut:

Narik
I hate you guys on the med forum. STOP STEREOTYPING! :mfing:

You declare your hatred for an entire group of people based on one shared characteristic, and then have the gall to chastise others for stereotyping? :laugh:
Reply 105
Phalanges
You declare your hatred for an entire group of people based on one shared characteristic, and then have the gall to chastise others for stereotyping? :laugh:

I did realize it was a joke...I get told I'm only doing medicine because I'm an Indian literally all the time. I'm rather used to it now. :awesome: And my dad always wanted me to do maths anyway so... :wink:

Oh and "you guys" =/= everyone. :smile:

Anyway, the main reason I want to only do 2 is so I can have a lot more free time to chill out, do cross country trainng, so I can prepare for the BMAT, interviews etc. :smile:
Reply 106
UCL definitely want 3 A Levels taken in one sitting. If you don't do that they reject you which is a little unfair if your college makes you do a module or two early and you didn't have that information. Also a little unfair that from 2012 they require a MFL at GCSE when some students don't have that opportunity due to ****** schools ie. me and they don't know that not having a MFL will stop them from being able to apply to UCL because who the hell checks University prospectuses in Year 9?
vas876
Thats basically what the PMS interview was ethics in your face.

"What would you do...." "How would you feel.........."

Ethics in your face. That would make a great rap song.
Narik
Anyway, the main reason I want to only do 2 is so I can have a lot more free time to chill out, do cross country trainng, so I can prepare for the BMAT, interviews etc. :smile:

you don't need that much time to prepare for the bmat at all. in any case, if you're only doing 2 A2s and preform about the same as someone doing 4 on the bmat, who is going to look better? i'm not encouraging you to do more A2s (i think they're BS) but one to consider if you're intending to do less than the standard 3. interviews you shouldn't really need to prepare much at all, all your reading about the course will be done when choosing unis to apply to and the rest needs a few evenings practise at most (with maybe a mock or two if it helps).
Reply 109
John Locke
you don't need that much time to prepare for the bmat at all. in any case, if you're only doing 2 A2s and preform about the same as someone doing 4 on the bmat, who is going to look better? i'm not encouraging you to do more A2s (i think they're BS) but one to consider if you're intending to do less than the standard 3. interviews you shouldn't really need to prepare much at all, all your reading about the course will be done when choosing unis to apply to and the rest needs a few evenings practise at most (with maybe a mock or two if it helps).

I guess you're right as there's only so much you can do to prepare.
And the A2 Levels I'm thinking of doing are Biology, Chemistry and Further Maths [I'm completing A2 Maths this year]. Since some universities don't accept FM to A2, will it still seem to them as though I'm only doing 2 A2s? Sorry for all the questions. I thought I'd ask TSR before I start sending emails. :smile:
Narik
And the A2 Levels I'm thinking of doing are Biology, Chemistry and Further Maths [I'm completing A2 Maths this year]. Since some universities don't accept FM to A2, will it still seem to them as though I'm only doing 2 A2s? Sorry for all the questions. I thought I'd ask TSR before I start sending emails. :smile:

i couldn't say (as some unis are more amiable to FM than others) so unless someone has emailed place asking a similar question, you may have to find that info out from your potential choices on your own.
Reply 111
John Locke
i couldn't say (as some unis are more amiable to FM than others) so unless someone has emailed place asking a similar question, you may have to find that info out from your potential choices on your own.

Thanks for all the help. :h:
Reply 112
Narik

The only reason they want 3 A2's taken at the same time is to show you can take the workload of doing 3 A Level exams. So I'm pretty sure F Maths would count. They only don't count it as part of your offer because it is basically Maths. But obviously it's best to ask each uni individually. UCL definitely said the only reason for that requirement is to show you can take the workload though.
Reply 113
Narik
This might seem a silly question but I'm doing 5ASs this year and 1 A2. If I get an A/A* in that A2, do I have to do 3 A2 subjects next year. Could I just do two, even though I get 3A2s overall or would universities mind? I really can't be asked doing extra work I don't need to next year. :smile:

Thanks

There is such a thing as creating work for yourself that is entirely unnecessary. If you actually enjoy those subjects, then full steam ahead, otherwise I fail to see the point.
Reply 114
Scrubby
UCL definitely want 3 A Levels taken in one sitting. If you don't do that they reject you which is a little unfair if your college makes you do a module or two early and you didn't have that information. Also a little unfair that from 2012 they require a MFL at GCSE when some students don't have that opportunity due to ****** schools ie. me and they don't know that not having a MFL will stop them from being able to apply to UCL because who the hell checks University prospectuses in Year 9?

Admissions tutors are not as stupid, stubborn or simple minded as you think. I would probably suspect that TSR represents a distorted profile. I doubt that it is coincidence that the vast majority of TSR folks get offers, and multiple offers at that.
Reply 115
Wangers
There is such a thing as creating work for yourself that is entirely unnecessary. If you actually enjoy those subjects, then full steam ahead, otherwise I fail to see the point.

I love Maths and Chem without a doubt - Bio gets tedious when the plant **** arrives but otherwise its great, and I dislike Physics but I'm not allowed to drop it. Overall, it's going well so I think I made a wise choice with my choices...except Physics - but that's mainly because of the teaching standard rather than me hating the subject itself.
Reply 116
Wangers
Admissions tutors are not as stupid, stubborn or simple minded as you think. I would probably suspect that TSR represents a distorted profile. I doubt that it is coincidence that the vast majority of TSR folks get offers, and multiple offers at that.

I'm confused. Which point of mine were you responding to? As far as I can see, all I said was that UCL require 3 A Levels to be taken in one sitting and that they required a modern foreign language at GCSE from 2012 entry onwards. Not quite sure which point you're responding to or what your point is.
Scrubby

:ahee: I may have 'glanced' at a couple...
Anyway, I agree it's unfair, but I don't think they'd penalise you if you hadn't had the opportunity to do a language.
Never mind 2012, focus on 2011 more :biggrin:
Reply 118
right now im 13 and i want to be a doctor, my parents are doctors but the studied in a different country then moved to the UK so they are unsure about what grades are required to get into medical school, because i have GCSE's coming up, how many A* and A levels do i need to get into a medical school?:s-smilie:
crazylemon
So we are guilty of murder because we don't spent all our time/resources helping everyone we could? Or at least manslaughter?

Of course not, but I never implied that. Given the example Vas described with the train, I think it's fairly easy to see that acting requires no more effort than not acting, yet results in a dramatically different outcome. So if you have the opportunity to act (i.e. one that inconveniences you no more than it would to not act) but don't, you are not absolved of blame.

Scrubby

I find it very hard to believe that there is any school in this country which doesn't allow a foreign language to be studied at GCSE standard.

Narik
I did realize it was a joke...I get told I'm only doing medicine because I'm an Indian literally all the time. I'm rather used to it now. :awesome: And my dad always wanted me to do maths anyway so... :wink:

Oh and "you guys" =/= everyone. :smile:

You should bear in mind that such a dramatic reduction in the amount of work you're taking on is likely to go unnoticed by admissions tutors, and your reasons for doing so are likely to be questioned. If so, it would be inadvisable to say you wanted the free time in order to chill out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending