The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Students

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
brokenheroes
i do law and can assure you that these people make up a very very small handful, and that they take being a "rah" in good humour. there aren't really any cliques in the law faculty, i suppose we are one giant clique.

meh..don't really care, I was just defining the term. Was wondering though, does my sig mean anything?..you can never trust the internetz
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
In2deep
Rah : Someone who went to private school (or wish they had), likes rugby (not football), probably a member of a rowing, sailing or yachting club, refer to their parents as "Mummy and Daddy". Boys often seen to be wearing a lemon (or any pastel shade) sweatshirt slung casually over their shoulders and deck shoes.
Girls dress similar to that of boys along with pearls, numerous shopping bags and Daddy's credit card.
Names often include: Rupert, Will, Guy, Jeremy, Emily, Alexandra, Henrietta, Harriet. Followed by a double/triple barrelled surname, e.g. Harrington-Smythe.

:K: How delightful!

I'm in my first year, and it's awesome! Obviously just like any other Russell Group university, you'll get your public school students whom have a stick up their ass, but do you know something, they're pretty nice!

The atmosphere is lovely, so don't worry!
Reply 23
I'm sure you'll meet other people who arn't 'rahs' or internationals. There will be a vast majority of students so you're sure to find a group of people who are like you :biggrin:

Although I did hear from someone going there that there are massives of Chinese people there, and they all stick together...
Reply 24
Max Hinks
Hello again :smile: Just to reassure you further, i'm from a comprehensive, not international or "Rah"

Hi. :smile: Yeah, same.
The chinese thing is definitely true. A lot of them do clump up and won't speak to you. It's no biggie: would you want to hang out with people who don't really want to talk to you anyway? Just focus on being sociable with the vast majority who do want to talk and are interested.
The Blind Monk
The chinese thing is definitely true. A lot of them do clump up and won't speak to you. It's no biggie: would you want to hang out with people who don't really want to talk to you anyway? Just focus on being sociable with the vast majority who do want to talk and are interested.

Is it just the Chinese? Or is that true for Indians/Europeans etc?

brokenheroes
i do law and can assure you that these people make up a very very small handful, and that they take being a "rah" in good humour. there aren't really any cliques in the law faculty, i suppose we are one giant clique.

do you mean to say students in the law faculty are very close? I thought people tended to hang out with their hall-mates etc?
chronicles

do you mean to say students in the law faculty are very close? I thought people tended to hang out with their hall-mates etc?

yes. and yeah they do, but for some reason medics and lawyers seem to stick together more than a lot of other subjects.
I'm your typical comprehensive school kid, and have firmed UCL. :awesome:

About the only thing I have in common with rahs is being an Oxbridge reject. :wink:
Well the Chinese are the most noticeable in their propensity not to speak English as their chosen language.

The thing about lawyers and medics is they generally get quite tight knit as a group. Think of it as an extra grouping, not one that is mutually exclusive of those you live with
brokenheroes
yes. and yeah they do, but for some reason medics and lawyers seem to stick together more than a lot of other subjects.

That's nice to know as I'm firming UCL law :-D
chronicles
That's nice to know as I'm firming UCL law :-D

excellent. i hope you are looking forward to the best law freshers fortnight in london :wink:
Ahhh, this thread makes me want to start Uni now :smile:
Reply 33
blue_shift86
Yup it's full of posh rahs who look down upon you if you are working class. I am the working class guy btw! Oh and the chinese hang around in chinese gangs, the indians in indian gangs, the hot girls with the rugby boys gang. Basically think oxford/cambridge reject + just as arrogant. That's UCL for you.

As for meeting people from other unis...VERY hard since you don't have common lectures and i'm pretty sure most of the people that use the Uni of london union are UCL students too.

I guess you could meet loads of normal other uni peops if you went clubbing and stuff though...

Sorry if I put you off a bit but I can't wait to leave UCL in 2 months! :smile:

haha you have put me off slightly! But I don't really have anything against rahs or international students, so I shouldn't have a problem?
It's between UCL and Warwick anyhow...:s-smilie:
FatZam
haha you have put me off slightly! But I don't really have anything against rahs or international students, so I shouldn't have a problem?
It's between UCL and Warwick anyhow...:s-smilie:

funnily enough i've been to waRwick. the people there are nicer but its a dump; warwick csmpus is literally in the middleof nowhere! depressing as hell! if its between those two i'd go for UCL.
Reply 35
ranbow99
I'm sure you'll meet other people who arn't 'rahs' or internationals. There will be a vast majority of students so you're sure to find a group of people who are like you :biggrin:

Although I did hear from someone going there that there are massives of Chinese people there, and they all stick together...

I hope that not every chinese is like that and that everyone doesn't expect all chinese people to be like that though, i'm chinese and i'm uber chatty so that might be a problem?
Reply 36
i'm not a private school kid or international. i'm nice and common. i really don't want to be stuck with a load of mute chinese and oxbridge rejects either, but I guess there's no point worrying about what the people could be like if you've already firmed it. Just go with an open mind and be friendly to everyone you can. that's my plan anyway.
Reply 37
I can confirm I am no oxbridge reject. I didn't even apply :wink:
Reply 38
Im an oxbridge reject, but I get along with anyone and willing to make friends with different people from different cultures.
If you don't want to meet any Oxbridge rejects, don't come to UCL. It's filled with them. What's the big deal? People apply to Oxbridge because they're bright generally speaking...right? That doesn't make them any less intelligent, sociable or pleasant. Honestly. You might even be surprised when you get here :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending