Turn on thread page Beta

Will I be disadvantaged with just AS? Or better to do another year at college? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay yesterday I got my A and AS levels (I did two of each). I got these grades -

A level English Lit. (grade A) and Biology (grade B).
    AS level Psychology (grade A) and Media Studies (grade A)

and I also have ICT AS at grade B from last year, which I dropped.

I never expected to do well, and was planning to go back to college next year to complete the AS levels and make them into A levels. However, I've heard that two AS level are the equivelent of one A level. My question is if I were to apply to 'good' Universities (well, Warwick and Durham are two I've considered) would I be disadvantaged? Would they consider someone with full A levels more than myself?

ReputationRep:
    Some of them may state in their entry requirements that you must have a certain number of full A-Level grades, you can probably find this in their prospectus. If it's unclear then call the admissions office and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Some of them may state in their entry requirements that you must have a certain number of full A-Level grades, you can probably find this in their prospectus. If it's unclear then call the admissions office and ask them.
    there are some unis that only was for two grades! but i think you should get some prospectuses now and take a note of all the grades, then maybe call each uni and speak to the head od the department, explaining what grades youve already got, theres no harm in trying!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I'm guessing that you would be appyling for entry in 2006.
    If so you have a year where you need to find something to do. Why not tkae on just one of the AS Levels you have to get the full A Level. This wouldn't take up much work and leave you pretty free to do other things/work.

ReputationRep:
    An example of a good university that accepts 2 AS-levels in a place of 1 full A-level is Manchester (an example course: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/degreepr...BF1-H5G530.htm - see the entrance requirements section).

ReputationRep:
    Most good unis would prefer you doing even 3 full alevels even if they dont directly ask for it, and i wouldnt consider manc to be a top uni.

ReputationRep:
    I was told yesterday by a college vice principal from Durham that they don't consider ASs, just full A levels.

ReputationRep:
    I got in to sussex which is quite good with 2 A levels and an AS.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 19, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.