Turn on thread page Beta

What has happened to this forum? watch

ReputationRep:
    When I joined this forum - and it wasn't that long ago - it seemed like a really nice, inclusive place where people were friendly and willing to help others with their problems, whether academic or not. Since I've been here I've seen parties formed which, although a good laugh to start with, rapidly got out of control and turned nasty - I mean, why???

I've watched people being ridiculed for asking for help with social problems such as abortion and rape - why is it so unthinkable that someone would ask for help in a place like this?? If I had nowhere I could go in real life then an internet forum, where you could remain anonymous and might have some chance of securing some advice, would seem a reasonable alternative.

Maskall, who admittedly caused a helluva lot of trouble in the past, appears to be trying to reform and yet instead of giving him a chance people are assuming that his posts are all spam and giving him a hard time. Give him a break. If he causes trouble again, then fair enough. But as far as I can see he hasn't yet.

Debates on this forum seem to degenerate into name-calling and pathetic insults. With the number of people here who are of above-average intelligence - and I think I would include everyone here in that category actually - I would have expected more than that.

I'm hugely disappointed and saddened. I joined this place because I thought it might be nice to try to help people and perhaps to have a few good discussions as well. But at least on the good side, I'm no longer that interested in this place and so I have some chance of getting some work done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    When I joined this forum - and it wasn't that long ago - it seemed like a really nice, inclusive place where people were friendly and willing to help others with their problems, whether academic or not. Since I've been here I've seen parties formed which, although a good laugh to start with, rapidly got out of control and turned nasty - I mean, why???

I've watched people being ridiculed for asking for help with social problems such as abortion and rape - why is it so unthinkable that someone would ask for help in a place like this?? If I had nowhere I could go in real life then an internet forum, where you could remain anonymous and might have some chance of securing some advice, would seem a reasonable alternative.

Maskall, who admittedly caused a helluva lot of trouble in the past, appears to be trying to reform and yet instead of giving him a chance people are assuming that his posts are all spam and giving him a hard time. Give him a break. If he causes trouble again, then fair enough. But as far as I can see he hasn't yet.

Debates on this forum seem to degenerate into name-calling and pathetic insults. With the number of people here who are of above-average intelligence - and I think I would include everyone here in that category actually - I would have expected more than that.

I'm hugely disappointed and saddened. I joined this place because I thought it might be nice to try to help people and perhaps to have a few good discussions as well. But at least on the good side, I'm no longer that interested in this place and so I have some chance of getting some work done.
    i do not know when you joined,but when i joined this forum i said something like "xxxxxxx Hi everyone im new, how are you all? i need help x x x x x x x x x" i thought this would be a nice gesture to say hello and someone replied to this calling me a "Bimbo"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    i do not know when you joined,but when i joined this forum i said something like "xxxxxxx Hi everyone im new, how are you all? i need help x x x x x x x x x" i thought this would be a nice gesture to say hello and someone replied to this calling me a "Bimbo"

There will always be people like that and there's nothing you can do about it really... It's just that recently this place seems to have become full of them. Not only that but some of the people I used to have respect for are becoming petty. Just a bit depressed by it all really.

ReputationRep:
    There will always be people like that and there's nothing you can do about it really... It's just that recently this place seems to have become full of them. Not only that but some of the people I used to have respect for are becoming petty. Just a bit depressed by it all really.
    i think its ever since the "unregistered users" have signed up.

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree to a point, the forum is quickly going down hill, established members are dissapearing. The overall atmosphere as of late has been like that of a preschool. Everyone is nitpicking at each other and it seems you can't even have a mature and civilised debate because as soon as you disagree with someone they go full on the defensive and before you know it the insults are being thrown and the original topic is lost.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that everyone then???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    I have to agree to a point, the forum is quickly going down hill, established members are dissapearing. The overall atmosphere as of late has been like that of a preschool. Everyone is nitpicking at each other and it seems you can't even have a mature and civilised debate because as soon as you disagree with someone they go full on the defensive and before you know it the insults are being thrown and the original topic is lost.
    i must admit i was one of them who got insulted easily and started arguing but i dont anymore. Oh and i meant since the unregistered users arent allowed to be "Unregistered anymore

ReputationRep:
    dont have a go at me now guys (maskall by the way) - i said a month ago that people were not helping on questions etc as much as they used to yet people said "that isnt true".

i think it is the allowance of uneducation related threads that has caused this. mods have said that as long as they r not offensive, then they can stay.

but, with people putting up so many undeducation related threads, it just swamps the forum and little notice is taken of those askin 4 help - even non-educational i might add.

one other point, another not so good idea is putting the academic/need help on schoolwork etc threads in a seperate sub forum.

that sub forum is usually very quiet/nearly empty, therefore it will not get many responses.

perhaps havin educational threads on the main page for every1 to see, and with less relevant, genral chit chat in a seperate sub forum would be more fitting i believe - considering it is a "learning" forum.

the main page is where most people r -therefore it makes sense that the educational threads/"please help me on so and so" threads should be on the main page.

its obvious that by moving maths, bio etc questions in the dead sub forums, they never get answered really.

the uni subforum is teh only one that seems to be ood, which is of course coz many here are between the ages of 16 - 20. so that worked out well, but clearly putting all the relvant academic stuff in a subforum and all the irrlevant chit chat/gossip/pointless drivel (often!) in the main page doesnt make sense.

this is perhaps a reason why - people r on the main page, therefore they r not seeing the academic threads to try and help.

thats my opinion anyway - even if it is maskall.

ReputationRep:
    hey i thought there would be a barrage of posts completely saying the opposite of what i just said.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think if ppl can act a bit more civilised, there really wouldn't be a problem. Right now it just seems that there is one fight after another, this person hates that person and so on. There nothing wrong w/ having disscussion that are not ed related however the constant bickering needs to stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluff)
    perhaps havin educational threads on the main page for every1 to see, and with less relevant, genral chit chat in a seperate sub forum would be more fitting i believe - considering it is a "learning" forum.
    i do agree with do e of your points, however i dont agree with this. Just because its a Learning forum it doesnt have to be School related,educational related does it? it could be on anything.

ReputationRep:
    i do agree with do e of your points, however i dont agree with this. Just because its a Learning forum it doesnt have to be School related,educational related does it? it could be on anything.
    yes, but surely priority should be given to academic related threads on such a forum - thats my point, not to ban non academic threads or anything, that wud be unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluff)

the main page is where most people r -therefore it makes sense that the educational threads/"please help me on so and so" threads should be on the main page.
    I agree with this.

Am also visiting less and less, and so therefore getting more work done!

ReputationRep:
    and if this is true, how come someone gave me neg rep (which is why i am now grey (",) sob sob, i am a nice person and try to help (",) ) gave me that because i made a thread asking people for opinions on the sujects i have chosen for A level? i truly needed help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picju96)
    I agree with this.

Am also visiting less and less, and so therefore getting more work done!
    noooo!!! that will increase the number of strong oxbridge applicants, please dont work too much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluff)
    yes, but surely priority should be given to academic related threads on such a forum - thats my point, not to ban non academic threads or anything, that wud be unfair.
    i think all threads(accademic or not)should be on the same page, if you see a thread title you like then you can see it. I do think its unfair that the coursework and help parts of the forum are now on a almost unused sub forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluff)
    noooo!!! that will increase the number of strong oxbridge applicants, please dont work too much!!
    I'm not an Oxbridge applicant, I'm at Warwick!

ReputationRep:
    and if this is true, how come someone gave me neg rep (which is why i am now grey (",) sob sob, i am a nice person and try to help (",) ) gave me that because i made a thread asking people for opinions on the sujects i have chosen for A level? i truly needed help.
    thats one thread that never gets answered well - A-Level subjects.

i dont think many realise just how hard it can be to pick a-levels if u havent mapped out your plans for the next 5-6 years at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluff)
    thats one thread that never gets answered well - A-Level subjects.

i dont think many realise just how hard it can be to pick a-levels if u havent mapped out your plans for the next 5-6 years at least.
    i dont think its fair that their reason was (for posting useless threads" thats what i thouhgt this fourm was about to help people. I do not understand why i was given bad rep?if it was you(anyone) please private msg me and tell me so i know.

ReputationRep:

I totally agree with your post. I ahve been here for quite a lil while now first as an unreg, and have had a few accounts. Although i am not a fantastically active poster, i do come on the forum 1/2 a day and read nearly all the threads.

I do not understand the whole 'parties' thing. It is a pointless idea and hasnt done anything good for the forum, except for to cause more pointless spam-like posts, and a greater amount of bickering arguments.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.