Turn on thread page Beta

What has happened to this forum? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    When I joined this forum - and it wasn't that long ago - it seemed like a really nice, inclusive place where people were friendly and willing to help others with their problems, whether academic or not. Since I've been here I've seen parties formed which, although a good laugh to start with, rapidly got out of control and turned nasty - I mean, why???

I've watched people being ridiculed for asking for help with social problems such as abortion and rape - why is it so unthinkable that someone would ask for help in a place like this?? If I had nowhere I could go in real life then an internet forum, where you could remain anonymous and might have some chance of securing some advice, would seem a reasonable alternative.

Maskall, who admittedly caused a helluva lot of trouble in the past, appears to be trying to reform and yet instead of giving him a chance people are assuming that his posts are all spam and giving him a hard time. Give him a break. If he causes trouble again, then fair enough. But as far as I can see he hasn't yet.

Debates on this forum seem to degenerate into name-calling and pathetic insults. With the number of people here who are of above-average intelligence - and I think I would include everyone here in that category actually - I would have expected more than that.

I'm hugely disappointed and saddened. I joined this place because I thought it might be nice to try to help people and perhaps to have a few good discussions as well. But at least on the good side, I'm no longer that interested in this place and so I have some chance of getting some work done.
    I agree, the forum feels a lot different now to when I joined, and it is for the worse. No longer do we see good debates and academic discussions, we see threads about 'townies'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FudgeMonkey)
    I totally agree with your post. I ahve been here for quite a lil while now first as an unreg, and have had a few accounts. Although i am not a fantastically active poster, i do come on the forum 1/2 a day and read nearly all the threads.

I do not understand the whole 'parties' thing. It is a pointless idea and hasnt done anything good for the forum, except for to cause more pointless spam-like posts, and a greater amount of bickering arguments.
    Aren't all the parties now abollished?
    In defense of GOT and the Way they were just jokes, away to poke fun at the ridiculousness of parties on a forum. They have both been retired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I agree, the forum feels a lot different now to when I joined, and it is for the worse. No longer do we see good debates and academic discussions, we see threads about 'townies'.
    And endless bickering and insult hurling.

ReputationRep:
    I think this forum should be scrapped and a new one to be made (still UKL). Threads that are stupid should be deleted and removed.

ReputationRep:
    Lets start up an academic discussion then

ReputationRep:
    The forum is obviously going to take on a less academic appearance during hoilday periods as people are not at school / college / uni. It is natural that you will get more posts that are non-educational.

I personally think that the sub-forums are making it less likely that people needing help with their studies will get replies. I very rarely look in there and since most posts asking for help are now being moved into the Academic sub-forum that are being missed by a lot of people who may have otherwise helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    The forum is obviously going to take on a less academic appearance during hoilday periods as people are not at school / college / uni. It is natural that you will get more posts that are non-educational.

I personally think that the sub-forums are making it less likely that people needing help with their studies will get replies. I very rarely look in there and since most posts asking for help are now being moved into the Academic sub-forum that are being missed by a lot of people who may have otherwise helped.
    The subforums make this forum look worse as the main includes loads of silly threads which belong know where.

ReputationRep:
    i think that the forum should scrap the Posts section, it just adds to the spam. There should be another section, cant think of what right now but it'll come to me. maybe being able to see who gave you bad rep or it has to go oast the mods first before you can give rep?i dont know.Lv Hannah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)

During the Summer holidays the forum never stooped this low. However you are right and once we get back into term-time the forum should pick up again.

ReputationRep:
    I think the number of posts should be scrapped too. I kind of feel a bit guilty about my high postage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I think the number of posts should be scrapped too. I kind of feel a bit guilty about my high postage.
    and the rep system. People just give it out, even if people havent post anything revelant.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I'm one of those temp. school holidays posters, so you folks may be thinking, 'your the type we are talking about'.

The popularity thing is annoying. I'm assuming people because they are smart weren't probably the most popular of people at schools, clubs etc. and yet there seems to be the whole elitism thing because members have more posts, more rep. and those awards... I'm not sure if they were great ideas.

The chit-chat is quite stupid too, I often do it but I won't make really pointless posts because there's the chat for that.

This forum looks nice: http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/ in both apperance and the way they don't have the rep thing but they do have the titles

ReputationRep:
    We should scrap the academic subforum and establish a chit-chat forum instead.

There too many trash-threads on the main forums and the intelligent ones are getting quickly dumbed-down.

I also find it annoying that if you happen to have an intelligent debate, people seem to be unable to stick to the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I'm not sure if I'm one of those temp. school holidays posters, so you folks may be thinking, 'your the type we are talking about'.

The popularity thing is annoying. I'm assuming people because they are smart weren't probably the most popular of people at schools, clubs etc. and yet there seems to be the whole elitism thing because members have more posts, more rep. and those awards... I'm not sure if they were great ideas.

The chit-chat is quite stupid too, I often do it but I won't make really pointless posts because there's the chat for that.

This forum looks nice: http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk/ in both apperance and the way they don't have the rep thing but they do have the titles
    The titles/rep system is only supposed to be a bit of fun. Other people take them too seriously. I quite like 2776, but there are people with lesser post counts who I respect more because of the quality of their posts. For him to post so mny in such a short time seems pointless and uneccessary and his posts cannot all be of a high quality, though I am glad he is aiming to change that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)
    We should scrap the academic subforum and establish a chit-chat forum instead.

There too many trash-threads on the main forums and the intelligent ones are getting quickly dumbed-down.

I also find it annoying that if you happen to have an intelligent debate, people seem to be unable to stick to the point.
    Yes that always happens, but if it stays intelligent then that's good. But it usually doesn't.

God this board looks cluttered, theres all these users online and all these threads with long names :eek:

ReputationRep:
    The titles/rep system is only supposed to be a bit of fun. Other people take them too seriously. I quite like 2776, but there are people with lesser post counts who I respect more because of the quality of their posts. For him to post so mny in such a short time seems pointless and uneccessary and his posts cannot all be of a high quality, though I am glad he is aiming to change that.
    Well I'm glad he's trying to change it. I'm not sure how you can change other peoples perspective on posting quality.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2003
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.