Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can some one help me with the irish conflict? i need to no what the main differences between the believes of the republicans and the layalists.
    if any one couls give me a website for this i would be very much appriciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by school mad)
    can some one help me with the irish conflict? i need to no what the main differences between the believes of the republicans and the layalists.
    if any one couls give me a website for this i would be very much appriciated.
    I dont know sorry. But i thought i'd bring this post back up to the top, so someone may be able to know but cant see the thread (",) Sorry i cant help you though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can pm for specifics. The whole conflict can be dated back to 1801 with the Act of Union. Ireland was incorporated into the UK. However, the region know as Ulster was different to that of the South in many ways. One of the ways was in religion. The South was mostly populated by Roman Catholics whilst the Ulster (with the exception of 2 counties) was populated mostly by Protestants. Those in the north wanted to uphold the union and ties with UK, whilst most of those in the South wanted a republic-independent of the UK.

Republicans-tend to be Catholics and live in the South
    Loyalists--tend to be Protestant-but obviously there are exceptions

Extremely basic explanation above--go to the bbc website..to the history section and you should be able to find more info there!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2003
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.