Turn on thread page Beta

Provisional Driving Licence watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When is the earliest you can apply for a provisional driving licence? As I've got 6 months left until I am 17, and so was wondering if I could apply for it now. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think you can apply 2 months before you are 17, check with the DVLA just to make sure.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was three months. Try the website.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely 2 months.

ReputationRep:
    Be ready to fork out £38 though.

ReputationRep:
    omg why do you have to pay?

ReputationRep:
    It is three months, I have it marked on my calendar to apply in September (my birthday's in December). I had the DVLA leaflet with the info and that's why I marked it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gossip_girl)
    Cos you justs do.

Bloddy rip off in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I got mine at 16!!!!!!!

(Original post by SatinWings)
    I got mine at 16!!!!!!!
    thats what were talkin about.... if you can get it at 16.. i got mine about 4 month before i was 17

ReputationRep:
    I thought you could apply anytime as long as you're 16, and they just delay sending it out to you until the x months before 17 deadline .

ReputationRep:
    you can apply 3 months before the licence is due to start. however, i'm 99% sure that the licence CAN start before your 17th birthday, even though you cannot use it until then. (i think it's because the provisional is the same for mopeds etc. and also for those with disability allowance, who can begin learning at 16)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gossip_girl)
    its a privilege not a right.

ReputationRep:
    and the nice people at the DVLA have to be paid for their kind work, sorting through the application forms etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_H)
    you can apply 3 months before the licence is due to start. however, i'm 99% sure that the licence CAN start before your 17th birthday, even though you cannot use it until then. (i think it's because the provisional is the same for mopeds etc. and also for those with disability allowance, who can begin learning at 16)...
    It has a date on when it was issued (couple of days after you send the forms off) and the date's its VALID from. If you send off before your 17th birthday then the valid date will be ON your 17th birthday.

I checked it all out before and whatever you do....there is no driving on public roads before you're 17

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xtra)
    I checked it all out before and whatever you do....there is no driving on public roads before you're 17
    except if you have disablilty allowance :p: (i can't spell )

EDIT: and the point i was making before, wasn't that you could drive before you were 17, but that the lisence could start before you could drive.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    At 16, mate.

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for your provisional NOW at 16. You aren't allowed to drive a car yet, but you have the right to drive a 50cc scooter/bike once you have passed a CBT.

If thats confused you - I GARUANTEE you that you can have it at 16, regardless of whether you want to learn to drive anything or not.

ReputationRep:
    I was told you could apply about 6 months before you were 17:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Nope. You can apply now if you are 16. Otherwise, how can you drive a moped at 16 with no licence! :rolleyes:

Click here and read first paragraph. Even if you don't wanna drive a moped at 16, you can still have it until your ready to learn to drive at 17 or later.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.