Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really screwed up my as levels and I've got nobody to blame but myself, I was predicted to get a's and at the minimum b's but I didnt exactly work hard. I paid no attention in class and decided to learn everything the day before my exams as a result I've ended up with 4 d's (history,english lit, psychology and biology).
    I'm gonna retake all four of the subjects and hopefully I'll do better but I'm worried that when I apply I won't get any offers from decent unis, can anyone give me any advice, please.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you spend time on your personal statement as for a lot of unis that is more important than grades. ONe of my friends had straight a's and got no offers as her personal statement was not very good. Explain why your passionate about your subject and present youself as an interesting person. You can then sell yourself at interviews. Work hard at your college and then you'll get good references from your tutors which will help you further.

Try not to worry too much. I got a d in my history exam and retook and got full marks. The same thing happened with a politics module I took in Jan 2004 and retook in June 2004 (though didn't get full marks that time, three off)!

ReputationRep:
    The problem with doing badly at AS level is that your predicted grades, which are heavily influenced by them, will be poor.
    So even if you have a very good personal statement, the majority of good universities will reject you on the grounds of your predicted grades.

If your teachers trust that you will work, they might predict you good grades, so you need to make sure you get on the right side of your teacher, because they could untilmately determine your fate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SinghFello)
    The problem with doing badly at AS level is that your predicted grades, which are heavily influenced by them, will be poor.
    So even if you have a very good personal statement, the majority of good universities will reject you on the grounds of your predicted grades.

If your teachers trust that you will work, they might predict you good grades, so you need to make sure you get on the right side of your teacher, because they could untilmately determine your fate.
    thanks for replying, by saying that ^ do you mean to say that we apply to uni with our predicted grades rather than our actual as levels, also my teachers think that im lazy but capable and I've been promising them that I'd work harder for most of the year so I don't know if I could convince them that I would actually work for my retakes.
    I'm not actually sure what subject I want to do yet so writing a good personal statement might be hard as I'm not overly passionate about any particular subject.

ReputationRep:
    Your tutor writes a reference for you, and includes the predicted grades that your teachers have given.
    The universities use these predicted grades to judge whether you will be able to meet their offers. So if a course you applied for requires AAB, and your teachers predicted that you will get BBC, then they wont offer you a place.

You should include your AS grades in your personal statement, but if you decline them you dont have to(you must tell your school soon if you want this to happen). If you do decline them, you *must* make sure that your teachers give you good predicted grades, because this will be the only thing that the universities will be able to judge you on.
    Good GCSEs may also help to a certain extent, but not as much as schools make you beleive when you did them.

ReputationRep:
    by declining to put my as grades in my statement am i not basically saying that I did really bad and have somehow convinced my teachers to give me decent predicted grades, wouldn't this have a detrimental effect on how seriously they take my application. Do you think I would be better off by being upfront about my grades and explaining that I wasn't working 100% but that I aim to sort this out.

ReputationRep:
    You don't generally put your grades in a personal statement anyway, but, it may be good to explain in your statement that you intend to work harder as it would show honesty and character. It would be best to ask a proper advisor as saying you weren't working hard could backfire.

ReputationRep:
    "by declining to put my as grades in my statement am i not basically saying that I did really bad and have somehow convinced my teachers to give me decent predicted grades, wouldn't this have a detrimental effect on how seriously they take my application."

No.

Some schools standard practice varies from:

Putting A2 predicitions down (regardless of how good a students AS grades are)
    Putting AS grades down (see above)
    Deciding case by case.

ReputationRep:
    at my school its predicted grades!

ReputationRep:
    Your right, declining your AS levels could have a negative outcome.
    If you are able to convince your teachers to give you good predicted grades, and you be honest about your AS performance on your PS, some universities may have doubts about whether you will be able to achive them.

Some schools (include mine) do not "cash-in" AS results, so officially, they are still pending, so they cant penalise you if you dont put them on the form.

How you go about it really depends on what course, and what sort of university you want to appy to.
    If you want to apply for something like Law at top university, which is always immensly competative its better to remove any doubt that you will miss the grades and not put them on the form.
    But if you apply for a less competative subject, the admissions tutors will probably be more accepting.

ReputationRep:
    "at my school its predicted grades!"

Same with mine, from if you got AAAA or UUUU - they don't declare them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna_04)
    "by declining to put my as grades in my statement am i not basically saying that I did really bad and have somehow convinced my teachers to give me decent predicted grades, wouldn't this have a detrimental effect on how seriously they take my application."

No.

Some schools standard practice varies from:

Putting A2 predicitions down (regardless of how good a students AS grades are)
    Putting AS grades down (see above)
    Deciding case by case.
    That makes me feel a lot better, im definitely going to tell my tutor not to put my grades down and im going to work a lot harder from now on. I did think about law but now I've realised that it's not for me, now im thinking about economics or psychology, kingston only wants 240 points economics but i sort of want to move away.

ReputationRep:
    you can do november retakes in some subjects which means that you can have the new grades on your application

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.