Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Someone told me there are 2 options with the pool

1) you are just pooled

2) you are pooled but your college is still considering taking you on

is this so? i've never seen it mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)

1) you are just pooled

I don't know for sure..but i don't think that is the case. As far as i was aware, when one is pooled it means the college in question does not have enough spaces for the candidate, however they believe that if there were spaces at other colleges..this student should be considered.

ReputationRep:
    If you're so much better than Adhsur, as you claimed, why were you both pooled?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)

1) you are just pooled

It says on the letter that 'a small number of pooled applicants may, at this stage (ie after the pool interviews have taken place and you still haven't heard anything), receive an offer from the College that interviewed them in December'

So there is still a small chance you might still get into your college, but i wouldn't bank on it! I think if you hear from another college then you don't get a chance of an offer from you original college. I think it could be when they've had a look at the pool but decided that you were better than anyone else in the pool and that they do actually want you. Talk about fickle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    If you're so much better than Adhsur, as you claimed, why were you both pooled?
    Lol, you're an idiot? Please get a life little boy. I've never done any work in my life for A levels or for Cambridge, and so didn't particularly expect to get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Lol, you're an idiot? Please get a life little boy. I've never done any work in my life for A levels or for Cambridge, and so didn't particularly expect to get in.

Being your usual friendly self, I see. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    lol i can agree with u there, i did no work for anything at all, so am well chuffed to even be pooled!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fred86)
    lol i can agree with u there, i did no work for anything at all, so am well chuffed to even be pooled!
    Long live laziness!

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to Jesus for music, and my letter says that:

At present, we are unable to give you a final decision about your application, which is still under active consideration here at Jesus College. We have also made your application available to other Colleges in order to maximise your chances of gaining a place in Cambridge. As a result, you will either:

-Be offered a place here at Jesus;
    -Be offered a place at another college;
    -Be invited for further interviews at another college;
    -Be unsuccessful in obtaining a place.

I presume then that i have been pooled and my college is still considering me??!! It's annoyingly unclear.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you have been

Any indecisiveness on their part = pool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    To be fair, you said she would be rejected without doubt, which hasn't happened now has it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    To be fair, you said she would be rejected without doubt, which hasn't happened now has it?
    I said she wouldn't get in, and we'll wait and see if I was right or not. Perhaps you should have a go at people who said other applicants would get in, but didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    I said she wouldn't get in, and we'll wait and see if I was right or not. Perhaps you should have a go at people who said other applicants would get in, but didn't.
    I'm not having a go at you, I'm disappointed that both of you were pooled and wish you both every luck with the pooling process. I honestly think you probably both deserve a place on academic merit.

ReputationRep:
    If I had applied to any other college, I would have thought the pool meant the end, but knowing that they'll quite possibly look at emmanuel first gives me hope.

I've already reaped infinitely more than i've sewn academically during my life; i consider being placed in the pool as a complement at worst.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to everyone who got pooled, hope you don't get rejected, and if you get in it's to a college you like!

ReputationRep:
    Well firstly no-one is in the position to say another person WILL or will NOT get in! The interview sorted out the good from the very good :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    if you've been pooled, then the chances that your original college will take you on are very slim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    if you've been pooled, then the chances that your original college will take you on are very slim.
    I know that, but I'm saying is there a possible distinction between responses. i.e.

1) pooled

2) pooled + original college still considering you

ReputationRep:
    don't think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicman)
    I've applied to Jesus for music, and my letter says that:

At present, we are unable to give you a final decision about your application, which is still under active consideration here at Jesus College. We have also made your application available to other Colleges in order to maximise your chances of gaining a place in Cambridge. As a result, you will either:

-Be offered a place here at Jesus;
    -Be offered a place at another college;
    -Be invited for further interviews at another college;
    -Be unsuccessful in obtaining a place.

I presume then that i have been pooled and my college is still considering me??!! It's annoyingly unclear.
    My reply is practically identical to this, except I applied to Magdalene. Its weird because its so ambiguous, I assuming that the college haven’t made their final decisions, or maybe they missed the university deadline…. although maybe that’s a little optimistic….

Perhaps its just a fancy way of saying that I’ve been pooled?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.