The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why do people get all ridiculous about being IDed? It doesn't usually mean they think you're underage, it means they're not sure that you're not and it's not worth their job or, in the case of alcohol, A CRIMINAL RECORD to not offend you by IDing you. If you get IDed and you think it's a weird situation to be IDed in (you're just buying a soft drink, you're with someone with no ID, you've already been IDed there that night) just think "oh, weird, I didn't know that was part of the regulations" and carry on with your day. Don't, like, assume you know the regulations better than the person who's probably been trained over and over to know them off by heart or get offended or something.

:h:
Never been ID'ed for a 12. ID'ed for 15s when I was 13 or 14 though. But yeah you must look pretty damn young OP.
Yes Im guessing you have a babyface
But I was in WH Smith a few months ago to buy uhu glue and the man asked for ID. I was 20 then, it was more embarrassing because I had a large bag with my model in it and he saw me struggling. :dry:
I was only shocked because I've brought uhu glue for years and never was asked for ID.
Reply 63
Everyone always assumes I look younger than I am but strangely enough I've never been asked for ID.
Reply 64
Hehe this happened to me when I was 16. I was trying to buy a DVD in Asda and they refused to serve me because I didn't have ID. Luckily my 73 year old grandmother was in the shop at the same time, so I brought her to the checkout and asked "Is SHE old enough?" :biggrin: The girl's face was hilarious :p:
Hmm for some reason whenever I have my ID on me I never get asked, but when I've left it at home I always get asked :| Never for anything below an 18 though which is alright.

I work as a checkout girl though, and as horrible as it is IDing people who are in their mid-30s (challenge 21) I'd rather not get a fine for selling underage. When I was 17 I did a mystery shop and some poor guy got fired and fined for selling me a knife.

The thing with having more than one person is tricky, if I can't tell who's going to be paying I have to ID them both. I've had mums before that come up with their daughters (who are pretty clearly school age) and ask where they can get them cigarettes :curious:, then kick up a fuss when I say I can't serve them now they've admitted that to me.
Reply 66
i've been asked for ID for 15 rated movies
Reply 67
lol happened to be quite a few times.. im 21 and ive been asked for ID when buying the lottery which u can buy 16+ lol
Reply 68
Haha I love it; I look so young! We were going to the cinema for my 15th birthday (atm I'm 18 on Sunday) and me and all my mates got ID'd for a 12 but my friend with big boobs who was a couple of years younger than us didn't get asked so we ended up spending it sat in a Borders instead.

I do work in a shop now though and we sell a lot of kitchen stuff and occasionally alcohol or things that contain alcohol (e.g. chocolate)...I have ended up ID'ing a 36 year old woman and I felt SO embarrassed when her assistant came over and said "well, she's the director of the company I work for" and my manager laughed but said I'd done the right thing asking. They send in underage buyers to places selling age-restricted things to see if they're enforcing the challenge 21 policies though, and if you don't ask then you lose your job and get a fine as does your employer. It's absolutely terrifying having to ask for someone's ID! Especially ridiculously tall people, when I have to look up (most people tower over me) and go "Erm, just to ask, have you got any ID with you?" :p:

Some supermarkets I've seen have the challenge age up to 25 - I bet they get a LOT of grief!
Reply 69
I got id'd by a indian women in sainsburys this morning, spent ages looking at my id. I was like im 20 I never get ided) .... then she was like oh lol, it's because you have a baby face and you look 18.

18s still legal? ******* idiot.
I got ID'd for a 12 and I'm 17. I didn't have ID and wasn't allowed to buy it.

What made it more embarrassing is that I was buying a chick flick for a friend's birthday.
Yeah I got I.D'd for a 12 dvd about 3 months ago (I'm 18). In her defence, as soon as I said 'I think I should be alright, six years have passed since I'd have struggled to see it' she said 'oh I'm so sorry, you don't look 12, it was just an instant reaction.'

I would have thought my beard would have given it away but apparently not.
Reply 72
Indieboohoo
Yes Im guessing you have a babyface
But I was in WH Smith a few months ago to buy uhu glue and the man asked for ID. I was 20 then, it was more embarrassing because I had a large bag with my model in it and he saw me struggling. :dry:
I was only shocked because I've brought uhu glue for years and never was asked for ID.
You know the moral of this story though?

Shoulda bought superglue.
I'm 17 and still get ID'd for a lottery ticket. :facepalm:
lol I like getting carded. it's only when they think it's fake that I get pissy :p:
Reply 75
A friend of mine got asked for ID for a 12 DVD a few weeks ago, she's turning 18 soon.. She just showed them her driving license. She was a bit offended, but I guess it's better for them to ID everyone they are even slightly suspicious about.

I've been asked for ID for a 3+ game.. then they look at me, looked at the machine and just put it though. Is it just me, or is it very pointless having an age check on 3+ games?
Peachesishere
:shy2: That's frigging embarrassing man!
And what was worse this guy i really like was behind the counter and he laughed.

I never get ID'd but still, it hasn't exactly given me a confidence boost...Stupid Game :|

Am i alone in this or has it happened to any of you guys?

loooool
that happened to my 18yr old friend. don't worry about it.:o:
You know how 18 rated stuff is "think 25" these days? 12 rated stuff is probably "think 18".
I got ID'd for a 12 rated game (Guitar Hero) when I was 19 :confused:
Reply 79
No, but I did once buy a 15 when I was 13 and in my junior high uniform. It only went up to 14 but the check out guy just figeted a bit and sold it to me anyway

Latest

Trending

Trending