Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll join, even I'm doing quite the opposite of a Physics degree! (still not sure why though... moneys good, apparently)

ReputationRep:
    watching the einstein stuff and learning about E= mc^2 was amazing

a small explosive material like a spec of sand can cause a large city to be destroyed according to the formula.

i want a shirt that has it on. E= mc^2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyj72)
    watching the einstein stuff and learning about E= mc^2 was amazing

a small explosive material like a spec of sand can cause a large city to be destroyed according to the formula.

i want a shirt that has it on. E= mc^2
    This is my personal favourite on the T-shirt front:

:rofl: -

PS: The equation is actually Schrodinger's equation but still funny :p:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Would be better if it was Lorentz invariant

There is also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaNumeric)

There is also

haha :rofl: Thats very good :p: :p:

I admit you have a point with the Lorentz invariant. But I didn't create it... its just how it comes, maybe I should change it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    This is my personal favourite on the T-shirt front:

:rofl: -

wow, thats very good. i want one

ReputationRep:

There is also
    impressive

ReputationRep:
    I admit you have a point with the Lorentz invariant. But I didn't create it... its just how it comes, maybe I should change it :rolleyes:
    Schrodinger came up with the Lorentz invariant version about 5~10 years after that "standard" wave equation. Dirac then improved it over a number of years, he had reservations about negative probabilities, it was what eventually led him to predict (in a round about way) antimatter.

I start Quantum Field Theory in 2 weeks and the first chapter of a book someone recommended for the course covers the history of QFT (wait, should I be using a proud smilie after saying that?)

ReputationRep:
    Schrodinger came up with the Lorentz invariant version about 5~10 years after that "standard" wave equation. Dirac then improved it over a number of years, he had reservations about negative probabilities, it was what eventually led him to predict (in a round about way) antimatter.

I start Quantum Field Theory in 2 weeks and the first chapter of a book someone recommended for the course covers the history of QFT (wait, should I be using a proud smilie after saying that?)
    possibly not :p:

but hey... I know what you mean. Some of these textbooks can be very interesting... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I want to join a society called

E = mc²

as opposed to

ΔE = c²Δm

oh, goo'on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverjonny)
    ΔE = c²Δm
    Doesn't that mean, "change of energy = speed of light squared multiplied by the change of mass"???

ReputationRep:
    E = mc² is old.

I present you my theory of everything;

The argument goes like this, let P be the origin on the x and y axis, a small dot, very very small, now this dot is forced to become even more smaller by gravity and the strength of gravity in this plane is 20 times more than on Earth. This huge force causes the spot to collapse and emit energetic seed type particles which moves towards the force of gravity causing a lot and lot of tension, this tension is the key to the formation of the so-called 'universe', the seed-type particles now open and explode causing the big bang.

Now recall, the origin on the axis I mentioned, the explosion causes the matter to move and settle onto the origin of the axis and all else is mapped onto the axis. That is all the planets, stars (sun) are mapped onto the set of axis.

Hence, each object in existance, from small (hair brush) to big (planet) are mapped onto this axis which have the equation:

F = √(EM³)

Where E = Energy, M = Mass, F = Formation constant

This ladies and gentlemen is the equation which maps everything in existance, and explains every phenomena.

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peevee)
    E = mc² is old.

I present you my theory of everything;

The argument goes like this, let P be the origin on the x and y axis, a small dot, very very small, now this dot is forced to become even more smaller by gravity and the strength of gravity in this plane is 20 times more than on Earth. This huge force causes the spot to collapse and emit energetic seed type particles which moves towards the force of gravity causing a lot and lot of tension, this tension is the key to the formation of the so-called 'universe', the seed-type particles now open and explode causing the big bang.

Now recall, the origin on the axis I mentioned, the explosion causes the matter to move and settle onto the origin of the axis and all else is mapped onto the axis. That is all the planets, stars (sun) are mapped onto the set of axis.

Hence, each object in existance, from small (hair brush) to big (planet) are mapped onto this axis which have the equation:

F = √(EM³)

Where E = Energy, M = Mass, F = Formation constant

This ladies and gentlemen is the equation which maps everything in existance, and explains every phenomena.

:cool:
    Damn - why didn't I think of that? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jalapeno)
    Damn - why didn't I think of that? :p:
    Maybe surprising, but ... I don't even do physics!

Now that is ~ Genius :cool:

ReputationRep:
    New Scientist has brought it to my attention that the equation E=mc2 is 100 years old this week.

ReputationRep:
    Pick me! I'm a physics gal... doing engineering at uni and everything...

ReputationRep:
    New Scientist has brought it to my attention that the equation E=mc2 is 100 years old this week.
    100? wow... I'll have to start getting New Scientist again... I got out of the habit during my A levels...

ReputationRep:
    Hey can i join????

ReputationRep:
    i will join - einstein was cool. I hope i produce as much a shake up in the scientific community as he did.

ReputationRep:
    ^ Short of doing a terrorist attack on the Nobel Awards Ceremony I don't think anyone will ever has as much of an impact as he did again. Since his day physics and maths have gone from being the playground of a dozen or so giants to being such enormously diverse fields that even people who do problems like Fermats Last Theorem don't alter the landscape much anymore.

Ed Witten, a living physics god (despite being a pure mathematician!), has contributed enormous amounts to String and M Theory, but few outside the research area know his name. His maths ability outstrips that of Hawking certainly.

IMO in high energy physics too many people work too much for it to be conceivable that someone could come along with such a vastly revolutionising completed idea. The material now is too vast for one person to do it alone. String Theory is 20~30 years old now, and its nowhere near a finished form.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.