The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why shouldn't you take a toaster?
Reply 21
endeavour
Why shouldn't you take a toaster?

Because everyone will have one. :wink:
marychrist
I know! I've already moaned to my mum and my boyfriend about this, but they don't seem to care. I think I might hide it under my bed everytime I've finished using it.

This is one of my pet hates. I hate having to scrape out other peoples manky old cheese before I can use it *cringe*
Reply 23
When I went to open days, I saw the kitchen having cupboards. The lady said that each student have their own to store stuff. I forgot how big were they. Can someone tell/describe to me how small or big is it.
Reply 24
trev
When I went to open days, I saw the kitchen having cupboards. The lady said that each student have their own to store stuff. I forgot how big were they. Can someone tell/describe to me how small or big is it.

The ones at your halls of residence will be precisely 59 x 72 x 20cm. :rolleyes:

How on earth should we know?
Reply 25
I wouldnt worry about how small or big they are, if theyre too small u can always store some stuff in your actual room - Im gonna store most of my kitchen stuff in my room anyway so I dont blame any1 else if it goes missing :biggrin:
Reply 26
poptart86
I wouldnt worry about how small or big they are, if theyre too small u can always store some stuff in your actual room - Im gonna store most of my kitchen stuff in my room anyway so I dont blame any1 else if it goes missing :biggrin:

I doubt rooms will be big enough for that amount of storage! Also, keeping your kitchen stuff in your room is the fastest way of getting a reputation for being unfriendly, selfish and stuck up!
Reply 27
I know what you mean, but at the same time if the cupboards in the kitchen are too small surely i might as well just put stuff in my room? I aint got much, just a few saucepans, plates, 1 cheese grater (!), umm and a few utensils etc.
I hope people wont hold it against me if I wanna store some sutff in my room :redface:
Reply 28
Never understimate the power of the cheese grater :wink: :biggrin:
Reply 29
Yep, im sure it will come in very handy one day :biggrin:
poptart86
Yep, im sure it will come in very handy one day :biggrin:

Just as I hope my mighty bottle opener/corkscrew will :p:
The cupboards in our kitchen were big enough for all my food and cooking stuff. I moved partway through the year and never got another cupboard so ended up keeping everything in a box in the bottom of my wardrobe. Was fine.

If your uni is really strict about dirty plates and stuff (mine got thrown in the bin a lot by the cleaners, even if it was just a frying pan I'd left by the sink whilst I ate my egg on toast), take a washing up bowl. Then you can stash your dishes in your room til you've got time to wash it up. Sounds disgusting but it's better than fishing cutlery out of someone's rotten curry.
Reply 32
Apart from the obvious (clothes, toileteries...) just take several crates of tins of baked beans and a tin opener :biggrin:
cupboard in the kitchen was small at my halls hoping this year my halls kitchen cupboard will be a bit bigger. it was the fridge and freezer that was the worst barely any room at all
Reply 34
Aeana
Can anybody recommend an easy to follow recipe book. I'm going self catering and I'm not great at the whole cooking thing.

This book is great : http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0572029810/qid=1124818495/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/202-0395239-6428665
My nan bought it as a going away present for me before I go to uni...and it's really good. The pages are divided like "recipes with one pan", "recipes with one pan and a kettle", "recipes with a sandwich toaster" etc. it's gr8! :smile:
kpg
Apart from the obvious (clothes, toileteries...) just take several crates of tins of baked beans and a tin opener :biggrin:

That's what's been recommended to me so far by my sisters and everyone else I know who's gone to uni. :biggrin:
Reply 36
babynessontoast
This book is great : http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0572029810/qid=1124818495/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl/202-0395239-6428665
My nan bought it as a going away present for me before I go to uni...and it's really good. The pages are divided like "recipes with one pan", "recipes with one pan and a kettle", "recipes with a sandwich toaster" etc. it's gr8! :smile:

Ooh i definitely need to buy that thanks for the link :p: One thing im planning on doing is accompanying my parents to Tescos (or with their credit card if i can nick it lol) to buy a trolley full of cans!
Im sure that will allow me to last for a few weeks, cos all ill be spending money on at first is archers and vodka :biggrin: :biggrin:

p.s. I am not an alcoholic as the above post would suggest :wink:
Reply 37
lol dont 4get condoms for you or your new mates, if your planning to get around..
:s
Reply 38
girlpants
lol dont 4get condoms for you or your new mates, if your planning to get around..
:s

Meh, you can get them free from the Welfare service most of the time.

And Freshers' Week may not be all you think it will in terms of rampant sex.
Reply 39
What sort of documents do we need to change doctors and stuff? Or is it really easy to do? Sorry if i sounds stupid but ive used the same doctors surgery all my life :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending