Watch
This discussion is closed.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by grey faerie)
Yup, that's the school I was talking about. Sure, the results aren't flawless, but something like 10 pupils got 3 or more As at A level,and there was a high number of As and Bs. I would say that sort of data is indicative of a healthy comprehensive - the spread of grades suggests that pupils of all abilities are achieving well. Of course the results won't compare to those of selective schools; they never will. However, thinking of national averages, and comprehensives in my area (less than 30% A-C pass rate etc etc...) which suffer from being in close proximity to Grammar schools in the neighbouring borough, I maintain that Cheney School has impressive results.

Abuse...well, let it be water off a duck's back. The kids at my old school do the same sort of thing. It is purely a self-defence mechanism - they recognise the uniform, and to them it is a symbol of (perceived) superiority and the way they react to the threat it puts them under is by mocking it. Makes the whole thing seem less dangerous; it's all the product of an inferiority complex that is probably rife in an area with a lot of independent schools and a huge university that is made out to be the embodiment of elitism and a class-prejudiced society.
Well to be honest I haven't studied the school's results that thoroughly or comparatively, but in the state schools' league tables it never comes that high... however judging how good a school's results are is of course very relative.

I'm perfectly happy about mild abuse, in fact it's the character-building sort of thing that my parents are paying for
Kalypso
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
Well to be honest I haven't studied the school's results that thoroughly or comparatively, but in the state schools' league tables it never comes that high... however judging how good a school's results are is of course very relative.

I'm perfectly happy about mild abuse, in fact it's the character-building sort of thing that my parents are paying for
lol, didn't mean to sound like I'd carried ou an in depth analysis of their results - education is just an area that I'm interested in

character-building... *fights to keep instinctive private school prejudice at bay*:P
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (36)
7.5%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (38)
7.92%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (115)
23.96%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (68)
14.17%
No, nothing has changed (146)
30.42%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (77)
16.04%

Watched Threads