Proposal that Independent school pupils should pay extra Uni fees Watch

This discussion is closed.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
But that is their parents choice nobody is forcing them to send their kids to these expensive schools. What is wrong with grammer schools? They offer a good alternative and you don't have to pay for it. I think grammar schools should be bought back in all authorities but not the 11+ (the 11+ should only be taken by those who want to go to grammer school).
But there are very few counties which still have grammar schools (my county, Oxfordshire, certainly doesn't have any) and there are no serious proposals to restore them. I agree with not making anyone take the 11+, that is what happens where there are still grammars.
happysunshine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Were you? How?
I'm not stupid (anyone fancy a celebrity discussion?!). He said that my system (which I do not have) would be bad so I just said it wouldn't necessarily be bad and listed my reasons. Maybe you misinterpreted my post LH.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by meepmeep)
The proportion of students in public schools is small. Of these people, I would expect only a minority would be forced to switch from independent to comp. Thereby, the strain on the system would be far less than if there were a sudden influx of babies during a baby boom period.
But the distribution would not be equal, I doubt anyone would leave Eton because of this, so Windsor would not be affected, but area which are generally poorer would have a lot of people leaving privates or not attending privates in the first place.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
They don't 'have' to spend £10k on their children's education. There is an option; the state sector :rolleyes:
I still don't see why they should be punished for taking the strain off the state sector, and at the same time providing the best they can for their children (which is surely what good parents should strive to do?).
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
I'll skip over the amazingly bad analogy there and just point out that there are in fact a great number of not so well off middle classes who would seriously consider state schools if it meant reduced university fees, especially if they would have to scrimp and save to send their children to private schools. Extra university fees on top of this may be too much...
Why would not-so-well-off families choose independents in the first place??? They should be discouraged from doing so if they can't afford it!!!

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Tek
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Anyway, poorer students don't have the option to choose the better private schools in these areas so why should anybody else?
Huh? Are you suggesting that we should not have the choice to go to private schools?
Its fundamentally unfair that the university education of old etonians et al should be partially subsidised by poorer taxpayers.
In that case, it's unfair that the etonians should have to pay for the poorer taxpayers' state school places. There's no difference.

What I am calling for is a tiered increase in tax, so everyone is charged an amount they can reasonably afford, to finance universities and eradicate fees once and for all.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
I'm not stupid (anyone fancy a celebrity discussion?!). He said that my system (which I do not have) would be bad so I just said it wouldn't necessarily be bad and listed my reasons. Maybe you misinterpreted my post LH.
I don't think so, I just couldn't see whee you had actually countered his arguments.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
i wnt to a comprahensive skool and i diz ok. r u sugestin that compi scools r no gud? i willl av to nok your blok off.

Sorry there are a not of good comprehensive schools out there capable but od producing doctors and teachers but there are also a lot of bad ones.

It depends mainly on what area its in.
There are far more comprehensive schools capable of training "doctors and teachers" (where did this measure come from? ) than independent schools simply because of the vast number of comprehensives ther eare.

And why is it fair that Johnny Poor has to go to a "poor "comprehensive" if Jonny Cash across the road gets to go to an independent school everyday?

And finally, I think that, in the end, if you motivate yourself enough and your parents are supporting, you can succeed anywhere, be it at your local comp, a grammar, or an independent.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I am lucky as I live in Chorlton which comes under Manchester city council, Chorlton is on the border of Stretford which is in Trafford which still has grammer schools. This means I never had to take the 11+ but my sister decided to take it and is now in year 13 at a grammar school.

She has got straight A's in everything she does although she is above average at her school.

If I had taken the 11+ and had failed then I think this would have meant I would have branded myself as a failure far to early in life so this why I think only those that want to go grammar school should take it.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Why would not-so-well-off families choose independents in the first place??? They should be discouraged from doing so if they can't afford it!!!
Um, because the state system is so bad?

And charging private school children more at university will only lead to an increase in middle class children attending state schools, which will create more pressure, which will make them even worse.
happysunshine
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Exactly, no one goes to an independent school if their family is really struggling.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Some people give up holidays or second cars to send their children to a private school as they belive this is where their children will get the best education. They are not rich, they just want the best for their children.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Alexander)
I still don't see why they should be punished for taking the strain off the state sector, and at the same time providing the best they can for their children (which is surely what good parents should strive to do?).
Why is the state sector a 'punishment'??? Without the disadvantages which comprehensives face from other competing schools in the area which cream off the best students and staff they would probably do better. And how are state schools 'strained'? I know plenty which can't fill all their places.

meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
But the distribution would not be equal, I doubt anyone would leave Eton because of this, so Windsor would not be affected, but area which are generally poorer would have a lot of people leaving privates or not attending privates in the first place.
Or private schools would be forced to offer reasonable rates in poorer areas or face closure. Again, the strain put on the system would not be huge.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Some people give up holidays or second cars to send their children to a private school as they belive this is where their children will get the best education. They are not rich, they just want the best for their children.
We should really be doing what's best for society, not what individual parents believe is best for their children. THE STATE SYSTEM IS NOT BAD.

LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Why is the state sector a 'punishment'??? Without the disadvantages which comprehensives face from other competing schools in the area which cream off the best students and staff they would probably do better. And how are state schools 'strained'? I know plenty which can't fill all their places.

The state sector is already strained in many areas and so private school pupils actually help it. The new proposals seem to penalise them for doing this.
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
We should really be doing what's best for society, not what individual parents believe is best for their children. THE STATE SYSTEM IS NOT BAD.

Where has this preconception come that all state schools are inherently crap?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

No, it's up to the parents where they send their children.
Tek
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
And what's best for society, in that we would see more graduates who have a positive effect in society, is simply to abolish all fees.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Tek)
Huh? Are you suggesting that we should not have the choice to go to private schools?
In a perfect world, yes.

X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (89)
19.96%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (180)
40.36%
Nope, not that interesting (177)
39.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed