The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Alexander
But there are very few counties which still have grammar schools (my county, Oxfordshire, certainly doesn't have any) and there are no serious proposals to restore them. I agree with not making anyone take the 11+, that is what happens where there are still grammars.

You have grammars to the left of you, to the right of you, above you and below you.

ie. there are grammars in Gloucestershire, Buckinghamshire, Warwickshire and Berkshire.
Reply 121
hildabeast
In a perfect world, yes.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Well I have news for you hildabeast, we don't live in a perfect world, so we have to deal with it. :rolleyes:
Reply 122
Lord Huntroyde
You have grammars to the left of you, to the right of you, above you and below you.

ie. there are grammars in Gloucestershire, Buckinghamshire, Warwickshire and Berkshire.

and to the South-West of you in Wiltshire.
Reply 123
hildabeast
Why is the state sector a 'punishment'??? Without the disadvantages which comprehensives face from other competing schools in the area which cream off the best students and staff they would probably do better. And how are state schools 'strained'? I know plenty which can't fill all their places.

I meant a financial punishment in having to spend more in Uni fees.

If there weren't an independent sector I expect that many of the highest-calibre graduates wouldn't go into teaching at all. And while I'm flattered that you think that people like me and Tek would drastically improve state-schools by our mere presence in them, I don't really see how we would.

I can't speak for everywhere but in Oxford state schools are certainly oversubscribed, people certainly can't get places in some schools unless they live very nearby.
Lord Huntroyde
No, it's up to the parents where they send their children.

It should be up to the child, the parents should get little say. It annoys me when people go 'My mother wont let me go to that school' - a little off the topic :rolleyes:
Tek
Well I have news for you hildabeast, we don't live in a perfect world, so we have to deal with it. :rolleyes:

Yes we live in a country with a stupid class system and elitism.
Reply 126
happysunshine
It should be up to the child, the parents should get little say. It annoys me when people go 'My mother wont let me go to that school' - a little off the topic :rolleyes:

Parents are legally responsible for their child.
Reply 127
Lord Huntroyde

Yep, but living in the middle of Oxfordshire this would mean impractical/impossible travelling, and do they even take pupils who live beyond a certain distance away from the school?
Lord Huntroyde
Parents are legally responsible for their child.

I know but children should be able to make their own choices. It's the same when parents pressure their children to be a maths genius or a dancer.
Reply 129
happysunshine
Yes we live in a country with a stupid class system and elitism.

And idiots too.
Reply 130
Alexander
Yep, but living in the middle of Oxfordshire this would mean impractical/impossible travelling, and do they even take pupils who live beyond a certain distance away from the school?

You have silly little counties down south, nothing like up here, I should imagine it would only be a short distance.

Most grammars take a quota out of their catchment area and I imagine some grammar's catchment areas would actually fall in Oxfordshire.
Tek
And idiots too.

I agree and I'm not one if that is what you were suggesting :cool:
Reply 132
happysunshine
I agree and I'm not one if that is what you were suggesting :cool:

Marxist :tongue:
Tek
Marxist :tongue:

Sorry?
Reply 134
Lord Huntroyde
You have silly little counties down south, nothing like up here, I should imagine it would only be a short distance.

Most grammars take a quota out of their catchment area and I imagine some grammar's catchment areas would actually fall in Oxfordshire.

Well I've certainly never heard of anyone from Oxford going to a grammar school in a neighbouring county. The nearest grammar schools would be over an hour away by public transport, which is hardly practical, and I'm still not at all convinced that they'd be willing to take someone from so far away.
Reply 135
happysunshine
Sorry?

You display the attributes of a Marxist, as in, one who follows the beliefs of Karl Marx about social structure etc. Read "The Communist Manifesto".
Tek
You display the attributes of a Marxist, as in, one who follows the beliefs of Karl Marx about social structure etc. Read "The Communist Manifesto".

Will do (I may belong somewhere!). In class we were discussing communism and capitalism and I was asked which I thought was better and I said capitalism because I thought communism was a stupid idea. I still do, I want to be successful and I'm not equal.
Reply 137
Lord Huntroyde
But, as you admit, these are extreme examples and it won't just be Westminster students paying this extra money, it will be parents who send their children to much less expensive private schools who are probably not a lot wealthier than the state school parents.

Point taken but what then is a "cheap" private school? Lets say £1500 a term, in which case £4500 a year. This is still over four times the amount this parent has to pay for their child to go to university, and once i again i stress that they are paying less money for a higher level of education.

Of course it is not fair to ask a parent who spends £4500 a year to be termed equally as wealthy as someone who pays £21000 a year but again this can be taken into account. Why not have a staggered system of payment where students from the most expensive private schools pay more money than cheaper private schools? This is jsut a suggestion but at the end of the day, asking everyone to pay the same for a university education without taking into account how much their parents could have afforded to spend on a private school education is just not right.
Reply 138
Alexander
But surely these parents really deserve a financial break after having to spend £10k a year on school fees, and should be able to spend money on themselves rather than their children once they're off to uni.

No one forces these parents to put their children in fee-paying schools though, do they?
Reply 139
meepmeep
No-one forces these parents to put their children in fee-paying schools though, do they?

No. But if they do choose to, then it's a nasty financial burden.

Latest

Trending

Trending