The Student Room Group

Provisional License - Passport Question

Hey, i'm applying for my provisional license, but my passport is out of date, can i still use it as ID? Also how do i know if its a digital one? It was issued in 2002 and expired in 2007.

Thanks
Digital Passports have a little microship over the page that has your Photo etc..
Reply 2
katierattray
Digital Passports have a little microship over the page that has your Photo etc..

I have the form and it says a digital passport is one which has your picture and signature on the same page, but my passport is not biometric :/
Reply 3
erm get a new passport first i think it does have to be in date not sure though :s
Reply 4
DaniLou17
erm get a new passport first i think it does have to be in date not sure though :s

Rather not spend the £80 on a new one, cos i probably wont use it anytime soon. It seems to have accepted my passport number online so im guessing its okay?
Reply 5
Jay™
Rather not spend the £80 on a new one, cos i probably wont use it anytime soon. It seems to have accepted my passport number online so im guessing its okay?
Yes, it's fine. Don't confuse digital with biometic. A digital passport is one which is machine readable. These can be identified by two lines of OCR text at the bottom of the photo page which looks like this: P<GBRSURNAME<<FIRSTNAME<<SECONDNAME<<<<<<<

And yes, the photo and signature will be electronically captured and printed on the same page.
Reply 6
Advisor
Yes, it's fine. Don't confuse digital with biometic. A digital passport is one which is machine readable. These can be identified by two lines of OCR text at the bottom of the photo page which looks like this: P<GBRSURNAME<<FIRSTNAME<<SECONDNAME<<<<<<<

And yes, the photo and signature will be electronically captured and printed on the same page.

So it doesnt matter that its out of date?
Thanks for the information above by the way :smile:
Reply 7
Jay™
So it doesnt matter that its out of date?
If it worked for you, then evidently not.
Reply 8
Advisor
If it worked for you, then evidently not.

Then i tried a random made up number and it worked, so i dont think it actually checks the system for that number until the end or something.
Jay™
Hey, i'm applying for my provisional license, but my passport is out of date, can i still use it as ID? Also how do i know if its a digital one? It was issued in 2002 and expired in 2007.

Thanks

mines in date and when i tried it online i had to fill in a form- which was basically asking for a new photo and to sign it, but then i lost the thing and i did it via paper- and it worked fine.
Reply 10
Im struggling with something similar at the monent.

First of all i tried to apply for a provisional MOTORCYCLE licence. I filled it all out online and put in my passport number, and then made the payment. Only after the payment, they made me download a form which tells me i need to send my passport away :frown:

After doing lots of reading this morning, im pretty sure that my passport IS digital (i thought it wasn't for ages)
It has the signature and photo on the same page.

Not sure what to do now. Why would they ask me to send my actual passport away after me typing in the number of my digital passport in their online form which stated that they can use the information by checking with the passport authoritities??

Also, im in the process of changing my papaer provisionl licecne for a card one, and am having similar problems.
I think for THIS one, im gonna just send the form away and not send my passport.
Reply 11
I was given a link to the following form, after filling in my application for a provisional motorbike licence online, including giving them my digital passport number.

http://motoring.direct.gov.uk/service/PDF?id=20100951722409

Not sure what to do now, lol.
Reply 12
Leighthesim
mines in date and when i tried it online i had to fill in a form- which was basically asking for a new photo and to sign it, but then i lost the thing and i did it via paper- and it worked fine.

Mine isnt in date, i just wanted to know if it really made a difference?
I might sound stupid but do you need to send the passport with it or can u just write down the number? And my passports out of date hence why im asking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending