Turn on thread page Beta

Is violence towards children ever right??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right make sure you don't get mixed up, I'm not talking about locking children in a room and trying to knock the teeth out of their face form the back. When i was younger i was beaten quiet bad which i didn't believe was right, if what i did was really bad then i used to get a belt buckle to my back and even my face on the rare occasion, i was pulled up and pushed down stairs amonst other things. I also got slapped around a bit and my mother who had a bad temper if i asked of anything e.g a glass of coke please she would throw the glass at my head as well as the bottle. This happened for many years in my youth but now im able to take it but i must say i am now my own person but before i was 16 in a sense i was scared to do anything bad because i knew what it would result in. So even though it wasnt the right way it was an effective way, so is it ever right to just slap a child on the back when they do wrong, not beat the crap out of them just disipline????? give me your feedback on the matter please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kissmequick)
    Right make sure you don't get mixed up, I'm not talking about locking children in a room and trying to knock the teeth out of their face form the back. When i was younger i was beaten quiet bad which i didn't believe was right, if what i did was really bad then i used to get a belt buckle to my back and even my face on the rare occasion, i was pulled up and pushed down stairs amonst other things. I also got slapped around a bit and my mother who had a bad temper if i asked of anything e.g a glass of coke please she would throw the glass at my head as well as the bottle. This happened for many years in my youth but now im able to take it but i must say i am now my own person but before i was 16 in a sense i was scared to do anything bad because i knew what it would result in. So even though it wasnt the right way it was an effective way, so is it ever right to just slap a child on the back when they do wrong, not beat the crap out of them just disipline????? give me your feedback on the matter please.
    Why do I get the feeling that he just made that up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    nope i just wasnt emotionally scared by it or anything it didnt affect me majorly in any way. Don't know why not.

ReputationRep:
    have anyone ever read the autobiography of Dave Pelzer? Theres 3 books "A child called it" when this boy was beaten by his mother as a child "The lost boy" him in childhood and "a man named dave" his later years in the airforce. "A child called it" is a truly film, dont get me wrong its absolutely brilliant in one way but the violence his mother brought upon him was awful. In one instance she smashed his face in his baby brothers **** and made him eat it. Its a really good book and it shows that any kind of violence towards children is bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    have anyone ever read the autobiography of Dave Pelzer? Theres 3 books "A child called it" when this boy was beaten by his mother as a child "The lost boy" him in childhood and "a man named dave" his later years in the airforce. "A child called it" is a truly film, dont get me wrong its absolutely brilliant in one way but the violence his mother brought upon him was awful. In one instance she smashed his face in his baby brothers **** and made him eat it. Its a really good book and it shows that any kind of violence towards children is bad.
    yeah ive read them all, the gas chamber thing she used to do was horrible. But im on about small scale like a smack on the bum. Im mean i didnt really dweel on my childhood and yesterday i was babysitting for my aunty and the kid was being absolutely terrible and i was about to smack him on his back but i just thought about it and stopped and had a little moral dillema while he painted the house in ketchup lol. I was just wondering i mean if i did i know the mother or parents wouldnt mind but i wasnt sure whether it was right.

ReputationRep:
    i think its easier as a parent to discipline your child eg ground him/her but when it gets to violence this is bad. I feel that any violence shouldnt be used. Although i havnt any children and couldnt really say what i would do in this dilemma. A slap now and again can always just as easily lead to something more violent.

ReputationRep:
    nope i just wasnt emotionally scared by it or anything it didnt affect me majorly in any way. Don't know why not.
    Sorry KMQ, but with that avatar I can't trust a word you say...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Its believable. I know people who get smacked with crickets bats and such. Bad I know.

I don't agree with hitting kids - but there's different levels of 'naughtyness' if you wish.

Some parents would beat/slap etc their kids for stealing money, robbing kids, hitting others etc. Whilst some parents beat/slap their kids to the same extent for maybe eating an extra sweet.

Now you could argue for severe offences - the consequences are severe, but i definately do not agree with a beating for a kid who has an extra sweet.

Its all relative on the situation.
    But beatings which cause physical harm to children are down right wrong - child molestation. But for some reason i would agree with slapping, it just a short sharp pain which can make children learn their doing wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    what?????? you don't trust me because i show a pic of myself wtf is that about. ive had no form of violence towards me for years it was when i was very little i only remember parts of it and my mother saught help and has been fine for a while she still has some risidual anger but she took it out on me because of what my dad was doing to her which i don't want to discuss lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sza)
    Its believable. I know people who get smacked with crickets bats and such. Bad I know.

I don't agree with hitting kids - but there's different levels of 'naughtyness' if you wish.

Some parents would beat/slap etc their kids for stealing money, robbing kids, hitting others etc. Whilst some parents beat/slap their kids to the same extent for maybe eating an extra sweet.

Now you could argue for severe offences - the consequences are severe, but i definately do not agree with a beating for a kid who has an extra sweet.

Its all relative on the situation.
    But beatings which cause physical harm to children are down right wrong - child molestation. But for some reason i would agree with slapping, it just a short sharp pain which can make children learn their doing wrong.
    same here i know a lot of mates of mine who are asian and they get worse, A LOT WORSE, and their parent have no problems they were brought up believing that was right. But whats worse is they will probably carry on the same view and anger..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    We are not here to discuss the authenticity of the poster, just discuss the topic and stop knitpicking

(sorry - bad mood)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FudgeMonkey)
    We are not here to discuss the authenticity of the poster, just discuss the topic and stop knitpicking

(sorry - bad mood)
    i second that motion lol, why the bad mood?

ReputationRep:
    i second that motion lol, why the bad mood?
    O my new years eve plans just got pissed on and messed up. Grr...looks like im spending me new years eve with UK Learning no offence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FudgeMonkey)
    O my new years eve plans just got pissed on and messed up. Grr...looks like im spending me new years eve with UK Learning no offence
    none taken anyway im gona shoot off to go any get plastered hope something turns up, get out go on the pull or something don't stay in on the new year its very depressing

ReputationRep:
    yeah i remember a time when my dad got mad at me and took a belt and whiped me all up and down my legs and back....needless to say, i had bruises for about 2 weeks and couldnt go to swim practice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    yeah, that book made me cry about every few pages, quite horrible, what his mum did to him......

ReputationRep:
    i cried on the bit when his mum put his arm on the gas cooker and then made him lie naked on it. Its disgusting, she beated him even bader if he moved an inch or cried when she was beating him too which made me feel sick. It just proves that you can get out of those situations and become a better person for it. I mean he has a sonsnow and has a lovely life, which is nice.

ReputationRep:
    So even though it wasnt the right way it was an effective way, so is it ever right to just slap a child on the back when they do wrong, not beat the crap out of them just disipline????? give me your feedback on the matter please.
    In my opinion, discipline is not equivalent to punishment - the two are hardly related. To discipline, you lead by example.

Violence can be punishment, but it isn't always. It can just be an angry person taking out their anger on someone who won't fight back. It can just be a form of control - to get one selfish person's wishes satisfied.

Without even considering the appropriateness of punishing children, it's obvious that violence can misused. Considering whether it can be right (if right is related to non-harm), depends on assessing how much harm is done by being violent to children, compared to how much benefit you obtain - and quite importantly, could the benefit be obtained without violence?

ReputationRep:
    can I have a plastic cup of pepsi please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    can I have a plastic cup of pepsi please?
    huh

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.