Is violence towards children ever right???

Watch
This discussion is closed.
DevilsDoor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Im a mum of 2 and think that a smack to the hand or the bottom can be necessary after all else has failed, you go through the other options and occasionally something else is needed. Let me make it clear though, a smack to me is with an open hand, a hit is with a fist or something else, I would never hit my children. I used to be punished with a leather belt and I wont pass that on to my kids.
Chima
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kissmequick)
Right make sure you don't get mixed up, I'm not talking about locking children in a room and trying to knock the teeth out of their face form the back. When i was younger i was beaten quiet bad which i didn't believe was right, if what i did was really bad then i used to get a belt buckle to my back and even my face on the rare occasion, i was pulled up and pushed down stairs amonst other things. I also got slapped around a bit and my mother who had a bad temper if i asked of anything e.g a glass of coke please she would throw the glass at my head as well as the bottle. This happened for many years in my youth but now im able to take it but i must say i am now my own person but before i was 16 in a sense i was scared to do anything bad because i knew what it would result in. So even though it wasnt the right way it was an effective way, so is it ever right to just slap a child on the back when they do wrong, not beat the crap out of them just disipline????? give me your feedback on the matter please.

i think its just wrong. you cant teach a child to behave properly by beating them, that's jus stoppin them by putting fear into them. they wont learn anything then...except to maybe misbehave behind your back. on a personal note, if my parents did that to me when i was small i would probably end up fighting them now that im a lot bigger and stronger.
Chima
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DevilsDoor)
Im a mum of 2 and think that a smack to the hand or the bottom can be necessary after all else has failed, you go through the other options and occasionally something else is needed.
sounds fair to me
_EMMA_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
in my eyes violence towards children can never be right :mad:
kissmequick
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
cheers for the views some of you may be too young as iam myself but if you have kids or intend to what would you do if one of them was to hit you?????
_EMMA_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kissmequick)
cheers for the views some of you may be too young as iam myself but if you have kids or intend to what would you do if one of them was to hit you?????
i don't know since i have never been in that situation but i would'n hit them back like i said i don't believe in violence towards children
kissmequick
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
(Original post by _EMMA_)
i don't know since i have never been in that situation but i would'n hit them back like i said i don't believe in violence towards children
so lets say this wasnt one slap lets say they were literally hitting you repeatedly hypothetical sittuation what would you do?
a_musical_guy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I believe in the happy medium:

Being too soft
- Happy Medium
Violence

All (most) kids understand is violence. They only ever talk about who's hard and who isn't at school. When they're in class, these teachers with authority can't enforce any discipline on them, so kids fear other kids (who are stupid) instead of listening to the authority they're supposed too - this is what I believe is causing the yob culture.

Who are you likely to fear?

The big mean-looking kid who knows karate, fights a lot and has lots of friends

or

The old, hated teacher who talks discipline, reads books and is generally unpopular?
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I used to get smacked occasionally as a child, but I wouldn't call it "violent". I was never with anything other than an open hand, and I was in no way harmed, I think it was effective. Children do need to learn discipline (this is different from being disciplined).

I think for young children a light slap can be very effective, obviously not very young. For example, I think if you are crossing the road with your child of around 4, and they are about to run into the traffic, you tell them they mustn't do it and give them a light slap. I think at this age it will reinforce it, and it won't harm them in any way. However when they are a little older, you can reason with them more, and I don't think it's necessary.

This is not a firmly help opinion of mine, I'm merely thinking out loud. To address the question directly, I don't think violence against children is ever justified, but I think a smack can be at certain times deemed an unviolent action, and is justified, provided the parent is responsible and never does it in uncontrolled anger.
onlylittleme
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
When my sister was very young, my mum used to smack her, even resorting to a hairbrush, when she was naughtly. Then when I was born (5 years later) my parents realised that it was not a very effective treatment and they never used violence to punish me. I dont know how accurate their information is but aparantly when I was young, I obeyed and respected my parents much more than my sister did, and I learnt that things were wrong through being told off and being sent to my room rather than through the hypocritical punishment of violence. However this might be of no consequence of not being hit, and purely because we are different people and react differently to different situations. Me and my sister completely turned around now that we are teenages though, now she is the one who respects my parents more, which shows that violence doesnt always reflect on what happens to a child when they grow up.
majik
Report 16 years ago
i was 3 when i started education in nigeria (moved here when i was 5) i used to get hit with wooden rulers if i had forgotten to cut my nails or do my homework! (yes, homework at the age of 4) i hated it but when i moved here i was the only one in my class that knew my times tables and could read!
so you could argue the methods worked, but i believe they are wrong!
you only teach the child fear of expression, of authority and also of making mistakes! they have to be able to make mistakes so they can learn from them
a smack or a pinch is as far as i would go, anymore in my view is wrong and would have negative effects on the child
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (59)
13.41%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (57)
12.95%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (168)
38.18%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (46)
10.45%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (87)
19.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
5.23%

Watched Threads