This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Can anyone recommend a good AS Level or a good one to stay well clear of? I would really like some replies. Thanks
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Do Economics, Philosophy.
Avoid Languages.
angel_noiruk
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
Economics.. depends on what you wanna do! sciences are always good cause you have more options cause if then you change your mind before you apply for uni as long as you've done 1 or 2 you have more options. Biology is alright, I recon depending on your exam board you can do the a-level in a year cause it's no hard at all. Chemistry isn't as hard as people make it out to be cause I'm in A2, as long as you do the work you'll be fine.

Math...hmm maybe just As would be alright, it may be more useful later on ers with chem. Or if not math then Physics, it's harder and some people tend to do math, physics, chem and Bio, it's a tough combo but u can always drop 1 at the end of the year. I think 1 year intesive bio is a good idea though!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
ICT is a complete doddle, anyone can do it.

Maths physics and chemistry are the ones you should stay clear of!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I am taking chemistry biology and maths. I'm enjoying chemistry the most. Biology is really a swat whereas chemistry is ok as long as you understand the lessons. Chemistry is probably one of the most useful a levels.
If you're not a very art person, stay clear of business studies. The people I know doing it find it extremely boring
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I'd say take psychology really interesting but u gotta b prepared to learn
angel_noiruk
Report 17 years ago
what chem r u doin, AS or A2? I'm in A2 chem we're about to get to the boring stuff ! unifying concepts, physical chem ( the most math like part)!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I think psychology was the best as level I took. Its an interesting subject to do. Languages was my worst one (I did French), if you are considering doing a language, it is probably a better idea to do it for the full A-level as languages is an on going learning process. I think as level ICT was quite boring as well. The theoretical stuff really dragged but the coursework was really good as it really let you show the examiner what you could do. I did A level english language and literature as well. It was a bit boring in the first year but that was because I didn't enjoy the topics we were studying (war poems, adrian mole and diary of a nobody). The second year was better as you were able to do more individual stuff and we also did shakespeare (the winter's tale). I think that english is only good, if you enjoy the books that you are studying. If you don't like shakespeare, I wouldn't bother doing an A-level in it because it is bound to come up somewhere. Hope that helps. I know it is only my opinions. Sorry!

Helen Brownsell
high^flyer
Report 17 years ago
Physics is the best of all A levels!
angel_noiruk
Report 17 years ago
I'm nt sure if physics is they best! It depends on wot u wanna do ! like medicine they'd rather u have math than physics, not many people do both.....
Helen
Report 17 years ago
Hello...

There are alot of Good As that you can do, but take this from me you are the only person who can decide what is good and what is bad cos every 1 is different and wht I might like u could hate.

I would suggest AS Psychology, Maths (Difficult though), Health and social care, Sociology, Law and Biology are good ones 2 consider

and IT, History and Chemistry is wht u wanna stay away from

Good Luck in whatever u decide 2 do
Helen
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
ICT is a complete doddle, anyone can do it.

Maths physics and chemistry are the ones you should stay clear of!
ICT may be a doddle, but it's almost always got coursework and if/when you apply to Uni they'll just exclude it from their offer and tell you not to waste your time. Same with Computing. I have had 6 offers to do computer science (Churchill Cambride, Imperial, Manchester, Warwick, Southampton, Nottingham) and have always ended up in interviews saying how sorry I was doing Computing A-level and that I wouldn't make another such huge mistake as long as I live.

Maths is good. Further Maths is even better, if you're good at maths.
You can't go wrong with sciences (unless you're an artist - yuck) and Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology leaves almost all your options open (even the arts).

Alun
angel_noiruk
Report 17 years ago
good advice1 at the end of the day it's your choice but If you don't do any sciences, allot of doors are closed to you! my advice do math, to do further math in my college you have to have obtained an A or B at GCSE so you have to be fairly good at pure math! But do math believe me it'll make everyhthing easier, esp. if you choose to do chemistry which does have some math in it ! Computing is good! I id a level computing believe me it's a skill you can't do without nowerdays but I'm not sure you need it unless your going the computerscience way! even then when you apply for computer science most uni's ask for one physicsl science, maths and they never specify that you have to have a level IT but it'd help to be honest!

At the end of the day it your choice but remember that sciences keep all major doors open esp. math/or physics, chem and Bio.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
music tech. good ****...
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
ohyeah, music tech and art, and technology.
JJZ
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
HOW THE HELL CAN ICT AND COMPUTING BE BAD FOR COMPUTER SCIENCE, THATS STUPID! Any, so many people who can barely operate a PC get good grades in ICT, so I think they'll make it harder as it gets established.
angel_noiruk
Report 17 years ago
did I say it was bad!...no! I said it's not essencial! most universityies don't require you to have done a Level computing or ICT to do computer science at degree level!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
do ict it is soooooooooooooooooooo easy, mainly common sense, if u have that then u're a winner. do business studies and a science or two sciences with ict and u can go into any and every field of work u wanna do.
good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
bones
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
angel_noiruk, I think JJZ was referring to Alun's post a few above yours! Which I have to say I don't agree with - computing might be easy but not useless/pointless.
All I can say is that I find (or -found-!) A level Computing easy, but I have an advantage in that I have a keen interest in computers anyway. I don't -need- it for uni, but I think it's going to help. Some of the things covered in the computer science course for the first year were actually in my A-Level course, so hopefully it'll relieve the pressure a little during the first year.
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do whichever subjects you're best at and like the most. I thought all my subjects were okay at AS. I did maths english bio and french. Liked biology a lot. It isn't very hard at AS, neither is maths if ur good at it. Sciences are a sure thing. You can't really go that wrong if ur any good at them. English was okay but i hate it now so I'm not gonna recommend it and I wouldn't recommend French either cause to be honest I can't even remember what we did at AS. It seemed hard at the time though.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads