Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    French is pretty decent at AS. I took it along with biology, chem and maths, to give me a bit of a relief and because I enjoyed it. For a lot of the lessons, there was little writing and a lot of talking, which was pretty fun. It was also rewarding. After GCSEs I wasn't brill at writing and ok at speaking. At the end of the AS course, I improved in writing, and got an A in the oral, which I never thought I'd get. Did not take French for A2, because it involves too much writing, which I'm still pretty crap at. Good luck with chosing your choices. Take subjects which you enjoy, as well as subjects you are good at/need.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    Do Economics, Philosophy.
    Avoid Languages.
    WHY AVOID LANGUAGES... in todays society.. u will find languages will get u goin places.. in a common european market.. big city firms see ppl with a good brain and a language as gold dust!!

I think there are two types of peoplke. The "ART" type ppl and the "SCIENCE" type student. I always thought I was the science type, so i picked physics further math and math for my AS. But i likede to see if I had some ART in me, so for my 4th subject i did Business studs. in the end I figured that I was the best in Bus studs in class (eventhough it is the most boring subject for me). Think along these lines and Identify as to wich category u fall in, and giv a chance to the other too!!

ReputationRep:
    Im doing maths, physics and french.

Definatly recommend maths, edexcel physics is too boring! but different exams boards do much better courses. French is only for people tht REALLY like it!

A lot of my friends took psychology and that was very popular!

i did AS media studies which the most fun subject ever! and relativly easy too!!

i reckon maths, chemistry or biology, history and a language is the best. It shows you have disciplines not only in the sciences but also in the arts. Not necassary to take physics as most of physics is maths and no need to take english as most of history is English!! But as said in the previous posts, it all depends on WHAT YOU WANT TO DO AFTER your A levels. Obviously studying physics or english at uni will be out of the question but try and get subjects of 4 different disciplines to show how versatile you can be. Then after you AS levels, concentrate on where you want to go.

Originally posted by pure_ass_angel
    Im doing maths, physics and french.

Definatly recommend maths, edexcel physics is too boring! but different exams boards do much better courses. French is only for people tht REALLY like it!
    Same subjects as me. I liked Edexcel Physics, except the thermal physics stuff and all the waves stuff.

ReputationRep:
    no matter what u do. Make sure you do Maths. Maths is the only subject which increases the income significantly and increases the career opportunities. Maths is always good for you whatever you do in life. Universities always look for maths. if u wanna do economics at uni . they dont ask for economics a level. they ask for maths a level.

Don't do a subject unless you enjoy it.

the most rewarding a levalk/as level has to maths! its a language...its a science...n if u dl it welll i looks like art.

im doin maths physic and chem. did ict at AS. it was a dos n not very interesting. tho wish i hadnt have done a level physics-bit borin-further matsh wud have been good-tho not offered at my colledge.

im choosing a chemistry degree becasue its the m,ost interestin/rewarding/bet allround ......
    ....apart from mod 5 exam!!!!argg i havt hat on tues

ReputationRep:
    You're really the only person who can decide- it does depend whether you're sciency or arty.
    i do maths- v v useful (+ i actually like it)- but i know people who took it because they thought it was useful + they've found it really hard, so it's not a light decision
    psychology- it rocks + is so interesting
    philosophy- i agree with whoever else suggested it- i nearly didn't do it + i'm so glad i changed my mind- it's absalutely brilliant
    economics- pretty easy, but i find it really boring + can't wait to drop it (3 weeks to go)
    good luck!

Hold on a minute, didn't the original thread starter say 1 good AS Level not a million!

Also, what the heck has Business Studies got to do with ART?

I think the best idea would be for you to try and get some idea of what you want to do at university. Then have a look in the prospectuses and see what A and AS levels are required for that course. You wouldn’t want to end up finding that you can’t do a subject because you have the “wrong” A levels for the course.

The best reason to do a subject is because you enjoy it – in my opinion. You will be doing quite a bit of study in it each week, so you don’t want to end up hating it. Some combinations of subjects also are easier than others – physics and maths (mechanics) have many overlapping areas for example. Also some subjects need good mathematical skills, and some involve a lot of essay writing or project work. So choose one where you think you will enjoy the course, and that you will do well in.

http://education.independent.co.uk/schools/az-alevels/ is a site where they have ‘fact-files’ about each A level which you may find useful.

ReputationRep:
    suggestions:-

Maths
    Further Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry

or

Art
    Music
    Media Studies

or

Business studies
    Economics
    Maths

Study Geography if u want a stimulating interesting AS level.

the most rewarding a levalk/as level has to maths! its a language...its a science...n if u dl it welll i looks like art.

im doin maths physic and chem. did ict at AS. it was a dos n not very interesting. tho wish i hadnt have done a level physics-bit borin-further matsh wud have been good-tho not offered at my colledge.

im choosing a chemistry degree becasue its the m,ost interestin/rewarding/bet allround ......
    ....apart from mod 5 exam!!!!argg i havt hat on tues
    Should have considered taking English/History!

Chemistry, Biology, History and German here. My school is very much into the "choose as many subjects of as much bredth as possible" attitude so that is reflected in my subject choices which i all took up to A2 level.

Of them biology is the most boring followed by german then history and then Chemistry, which is definately the most interesting in my opinion because it lets you express yourself well, the questions in the papers are fair and challenging and the course itself is interesting. Dont take it if you dont like chemistry at GCSE; in fact dont take any sciences if you disliked them at GCSE because A level is just more of the same but at a harder level!

History is definately rewarding because it lets you express yourself and improves your English and "thought processing thechniques" as well as factual knowledge.

Dan

taken from the above link to the gaurdian article on A levels...

Chemistry:
    You need to be fairly numerate but not as numerate as a mathematician. You also need to be logical, according to Helen Eccles, chairman of science at OCR exam board. And it helps to have a C or above at GCSE in science. Memory is not as important as in biology
    I agree that you need to be good at numvers and logical in thought processing as well as capable of adapting to new ideas because youll have to forget a lot of stuff that they taught you at GCSE level which was "wrong" but at a suitable level for you then.

I disagree that you only need a C. Would be much better if you had gotten a B or an A which shows that you are enthusiastic and understood the much simpler GCSE material which leads up the A level standard work. If you didnt understand it or didnt enjoy it then youll be playing "catch up" which isnt a very good thing in chemistry lessons

I also disagree that you dont need much memory; You need the same amount if not more memory because you need to learn many equations and processes and figures and colours of compounds etc. Probably more so than for Biology and History combined! And i take both so im not making this up.

I remain with my statement that chemistry is the most rewarding subject though! I dont know about maths because i didnt take it but from what people have said its very very difficult but rewarding. Definately worth taking to broaden career opportunities later in life!

Dan

ReputationRep:
    haha, i've just looked at all the suggestions (including my own)- basically you have to have an idea of what you want to do at uni + what type of subjects- cos from reading this thread i think just about every subject has been suggested + then contradicted.
    good luck!

if you happened to do GCSE music and enjoyed it, you should do AS music. it doesnt require TOO much extra work, it just builds on stuff you already know.

I'd say avoid Chemistry at all costs.

I was excellent at Chemistry at GCSE and really enjoyed it partly due to my finding of the subject being easy.

But things change when you get to A-level. I absolutely abhorred the AS and A2 course, there is heck of a lot of material to be learnt and recalled at the end of each year. It's not only the subject course that made me dislike it during A-level, it's also the teachers (which are different to the ones at GCSE), so consider carefully before opting for a particular course.

If I had to pick all over again, I'd never take Chemistry.

hi, u shud do a least one science, the most widely acccepted one is chemistry, most specalist science degree courses want chem, but its up to you. if science isnt ur thing id recomend to stick to some basics like english and math as theyre so widely accepted, the pick some subject s u really enjoy. hope this helps xx

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.