Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've got two offers, both foundation courses to do electrical engineering at Queens Belfast and at Loughborough, however other than the fact that they involve a training year, I haven't got a clue what they are! Does anyone have any extra info about what's install?

Also, I'm unsure about which to choose, and I don't think I have a lot of time left, so could anyone help me decide between Queens Belfast and Loughborough?

I live in N.Ireland at the moment (left England when I was 14), but my parents are dead set against me moving across the sea again, for the fact that it's too far away and that if I'm in trouble they wouldn't be able to help. Any advice? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Do you who I should ring? :confused:

I have list here:

http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/TheUnivers...n/KeyContacts/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    I've got two offers, both foundation courses to do electrical engineering at Queens Belfast and at Loughborough, however other than the fact that they involve a training year, I haven't got a clue what they are! Does anyone have any extra info about what's install?

Also, I'm unsure about which to choose, and I don't think I have a lot of time left, so could anyone help me decide between Queens Belfast and Loughborough?

I live in N.Ireland at the moment (left England when I was 14), but my parents are dead set against me moving across the sea again, for the fact that it's too far away and that if I'm in trouble they wouldn't be able to help. Any advice? :confused:
    To add to PQ's post, if you are thinking of loughborough as your first choice and it involves going to the college for the foundation yr, I suspect it will be the college directly opposite the uni. Loughborough college is bascially set right across the road from the main campus and certain accomdation is only a 5 mins walk away! You would still be surrounded by uni student as the uni art and design building is directly in front of the college!
    Also can I ask, what kind of trouble do your parents think might happen? Im pretty sure a phone call can easily solve most problems. If you need to ask anything about loughborough in general, go ahead, i went to school in the area for 7 years and still venture out there! Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luce20)
    To add to PQ's post, if you are thinking of loughborough as your first choice and it involves going to the college for the foundation yr, I suspect it will be the college directly opposite the uni. Loughborough college is bascially set right across the road from the main campus and certain accomdation is only a 5 mins walk away! You would still be surrounded by uni student as the uni art and design building is directly in front of the college!
    Also can I ask, what kind of trouble do your parents think might happen? Im pretty sure a phone call can easily solve most problems. If you need to ask anything about loughborough in general, go ahead, i went to school in the area for 7 years and still venture out there! Good luck.
    They're worried that because I have no family over there (well a cousin in Preston) that if I'm trouble they may not be able to help since it's across the waters. Queens is a 1 and 1/2 hour drive away.

ReputationRep:

My friend got EUU and missed his conditional offer of CCC, what grades did you get for the foundation course if you dont mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    They're worried that because I have no family over there (well a cousin in Preston) that if I'm trouble they may not be able to help since it's across the waters. Queens is a 1 and 1/2 hour drive away.
    but you have that problem anywhere- i'm at uni in dundee and that's a 5 1/2 drive from home and as it happened i was unwell this year (ended up having surgery) but my mum managed to come and get me. they'd eb able to get flights to Manchester that only take about half an hour... and no one would ever go anywhere if they thought it was too far away. uni's a time to be independent.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks PQ, I got through to Queens.

They said at it's studied at the university and that a form will be given out to me in which I have seven days to make my decision, and that's that.

Thanks for your help everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    but you have that problem anywhere- i'm at uni in dundee and that's a 5 1/2 drive from home and as it happened i was unwell this year (ended up having surgery) but my mum managed to come and get me. they'd eb able to get flights to Manchester that only take about half an hour... and no one would ever go anywhere if they thought it was too far away. uni's a time to be independent.

lou xxx
    Yeah, I probably gonna do Queens anyway, but I'm afraid I'm buckling under the pressure from parents to do so, I have time to give it thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nas7232)
    My friend got EUU and missed his conditional offer of CCC, what grades did you get for the foundation course if you dont mind me asking?
    CDE, C in Maths, D in Physics and E in Biology.

ReputationRep:
    If the foundation year at Queens is taught at the university, then I’d probably agree that would be your best option.

But make it clear to your parents, for your sake, that you’ve made the decision based on course structure and content, rather than them forcing you to stay in N. Ireland!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.