Turn on thread page Beta

I feel like crying (Re-mark or Re Sit? ) watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you think I should do? I received my AS results yeterday and most of my grades were B's infact ABBB. Everything was 2 marks away from an A. I would have ended up with AAAA if i had extra 2 marks on each B's i got. I am thinking of remarking the modules i think i did well and marks given were not satisfied enough or re mark my course works which i had a low mark infact 18-19 (my teacher never told me).....Remark course work or modules? or resit? (which i dont want to) I want to apply to top university and my grades matter....please advice.

Manifest

ReputationRep:
    Get them remarked first and see what happens. Then if they don't increase your grade, consider resitting but only if you absolutely need to get A's and think you can do better

It's a lot of extra work and added pressure

ReputationRep:
    remark cost more than resitting... also depends on the nature of the subject if it's physics/chemistry/maths DO NOT remark! you could always decline ALL of your grades so an AAA uni might consider you

ReputationRep:
    yeah resitting really really really does suck - know it from friends who had to do it

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry cos remember all those points, although a mark away from an A or so, will add up in your A2 and as long as u work hard next year you'll def b able to bump them up to As!!
    I was a mid B in geography at AS but after months of (most of the time!) hard work I managed to get an A at A2 - AND that was after I got a B in one of my A2 exams as well
    So dont cry over it, just use all that energy for your studies lol

ReputationRep:
    i would say if u can get your teachers to predict u A's and your skool declines your AS your fine. i would say resit the easier modules especially the unit 1's. because A2 modules are harder, and generally you will get lower scores - generally not all the time. i found going in to the final exmas without needing A's in the final exmas made life easier - and that was only beacuse i did a few retakes in jan which made the difference

ReputationRep:
    Be aware though - as often as marks go up, they go down! More often than not there is no change and it costs a fortune... Just work your ass off next year and make sure you come out with AAAA at A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manifest)
    What do you think I should do? I received my AS results yeterday and most of my grades were B's infact ABBB. Everything was 2 marks away from an A. I would have ended up with AAAA if i had extra 2 marks on each B's i got. I am thinking of remarking the modules i think i did well and marks given were not satisfied enough or re mark my course works which i had a low mark infact 18-19 (my teacher never told me).....Remark course work or modules? or resit? (which i dont want to) I want to apply to top university and my grades matter....please advice.

Manifest
    I would think about which subject you want to drop next year and just get a remark on that (if that isn't the subject which you got A). I would resit the rest, it is a lot of work but in the end the more marks you have at AS, the more you have towards your A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Remark first. What's the dealine for remarking/challenging for 'A' level modules?

ReputationRep:
    Priority re-mark (open to university applicants): Next Thursday-August 25th
    Normal service: Friday September 16th

ReputationRep:
    Hi Manifest,

I would also suggest you that it's not always helpful to get your exams (esp AS modules) remarked as, Fluffy has said, marks can go up and down. For each subject, scoring extra 2 marks from A2 modules to get A grade (overall) is not at all tough if you do a lot of hard work. However, it's sometimes very difficult to score 80% in A2 modules (depending on the subject).

In our batch, some students got AAA (80-85% marks in each AS levels, i.e. Maths, Physics, and Chemistry) but still they repeated some AS modules coz they didn't want to risk missing A grades in their A' levels. What our teachers always suggested us was that we must score more than 90% in AS levels so that even if we get 70% in A2 modules we can easily obtain A grades overall.

So, it's better to repeat those AS modules in which you couldn't get 80% marks.

Wish you all the best!!!

ReputationRep:
    With marks like that i wouldnt advise you to do either..you will be able to get an A at A2 fairly easily i should imagine if you work hard.

two things to consider

1) if you remark then your marks could go down and you could be in a worse position.

2) if you resit, you could do worse, and you cant pick your best one out of the two, they will take the latest one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanthe)
    Priority re-mark (open to university applicants): Next Thursday-August 25th
    Normal service: Friday September 16th
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleece)
    if you resit, you could do worse, and you cant pick your best one out of the two, they will take the latest one.
    It's very likely that they'll take the best mark. I can confirm this from my own experience. Well, I appeared Edexcel A' levels and so the rules might be different for other exam boards.

ReputationRep:
    Fact: they do take the best mark, so if you want to re-take by all means do that, you have nothing to lose as the best mark will be counted towards your final grade.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt worry to much if sail over the A mark in your A-level exams then it will easily give you the A's you need. Talk to your teachers, If you were only two marks of in them I wouldnt see why they wouldnt predict you all A's. I was a mere mark of my A in Psych last year but my teacher predicted me an A for it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xanthe)
    Fact: they do take the best mark, so if you want to re-take by all means do that, you have nothing to lose as the best mark will be counted towards your final grade.
    i was always told they'd take the last exam grade. poop.

ReputationRep:
    I always find that people do better in resits. I am a prime example of this.

AS Sociology resit: E --> A
    AS History resit: E --> A
    A2 History resit: D --> A

However, I got a D in Sociology last year and was predicted an A. I was gutted, so I decided I would get it remarked. But before I did that I requested back photocopies of my scripts, which my teacher looked over first so she could tell me what I should do.

When she did look over them she found I had actually answered the questions wrong etc, and she told my where my mistakes were. This helped me a lot from an educational point of view, as well as a financial.

So maybe request copies of your scripts back first, and then decide if you're gonna go for a remark. May save you time and money in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths 239 AAB
    Physics 238 AAA
    Chemistry 237 AAB
    Thats crap, painful, annoying and arrrrrggggggghhhh :mad: . My friends were not happy with me yesterday because their results were worst (who cares for now?) they all said i was greedy that have got a nice result. I don't want to retake any other modules except my Unit 1 (chemistry).

Now imagine my physics i had 3'As yet i ended up with a B, further maths was just a mark (1 mark, maybe instead of 0.5 i wrote 0.05 in one of my answers) :mad: I know my chemistry unit 1 was not quite good so i believe it's my fault.

I had bad grades for my course works (My teacher did not tell me before sending it. I was in the range of 15-19 out of 30 Imagine a whole me. Am very good at writting courseworks) Same teacher marked both course works. (physics and chemistry) He had no experience on A levels course works because he is new and am pretty sure if the moderator had marked it i would have gotten atleast 25/30 in each.

Do you think i should ask for my course works re-mark? Am really sad with all these infact i can kill that teacher if i am opportuned.

Please still want your invaluable advice. I really need it at this crucial moment.

Manifest

ReputationRep:
    Decline the grades like I did. I got BBC at AS level, declined them all and still applied. The uni's will go by your predicted grades give to you buy your teachers. Just get an extra 2 marks over an A next year and you'll be sorted.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2005
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.