Turn on thread page Beta

Why do we let the GOV kill an innocent man to look tough on terror? watch

ReputationRep:
    They knew he was innocent, he just came into the Tube to get a train, and he ends up in a pool of blood on the floor. The police murdered this guy when it was clearly evident he wasnt a bomber or a threat. Now they will stall the investigation, withheld documents that proved he was innocent because they are the true murderers!

I supported Tony Blair. I thought he was a good leader. Now he goes and does this.

There should be no shoot to kill policy. It reeks of a dictatorship. There is no democracy in guilty-till-proven-innocent.

We have innocents dying in Iraq and now innocents dying here. This war must end, for the sake of all of us. And may I add, its Tony Blair that got us into all this.

ReputationRep:
    I bit more discretion should have been excercised. But the man was running away, and that turned on the suspicion reaction in the policeman's mind.

ReputationRep:
    But the man was running away, and that turned on the suspicion reaction in the policeman's mind.
    According to the leaked report, he WASN'T running, and he even stopped to pick up the paper. Weird.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they SAW pick up a paper, calmly WALKING to get a train, and still gunned him down! The government kill its own citizens its disgusting. He was HISPANIC not Middle Eastern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudja)
    Yeah they SAW pick up a paper, calmly WALKING to get a train, and still gunned him down! The government kill its own citizens its disgusting. He was HISPANIC not Middle Eastern.
    I distinctly remember the "witness" who came on BBC saying the man looked "Pakistani". He does not look remotely "Pakistani" to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    According to the leaked report, he WASN'T running, and he even stopped to pick up the paper. Weird.
    That makes me rethink my idea....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvincitus)
    That makes me rethink my idea....
    The Met Police have got a lot of explaining to do...

ReputationRep:
    I distinctly remember the "witness" who came on BBC saying the man looked "Pakistani". He does not look remotely "Pakistani" to me!
    I'm Indian, and I can tell you that there are a lot of people who think that "all brown people look alike." If it wasn't so offensive and condescending, I would find it hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvincitus)
    I'm Indian, and I can tell you that there are a lot of people who think that "all brown people look alike." If it wasn't so offensive and condescending, I would find it hilarious.
    I'm part Pakistani myself mate, and its hilarous how some random dude can tell whether someone is Pakistani, when quite often (understandably so) even "brown" people confuse Indians and Pakistanis.

ReputationRep:
    The only question you have to ask yourself about this is "What did any of the officers involved with the shooting have to gain?", They had no personal gains to be made by killing this man apart from being involved in a lengthy enquiries and removal from active service. They had a judgement call to make and they made it. I know the incident is tragic but I feel those whose purpose it is to protect the public should not be punished for making wrong judgement calls. The processes that lead to these kind of incidents should be reviewed but that should be part of an ongoing process.

ReputationRep:
    I'm part Pakistani myself mate, and its hilarous how some random dude can tell whether someone is Pakistani, when quite often (understandably so) even "brown" people confuse Indians and Pakistanis.
    Not just that, they typically confuse to south asians. If you have Pradeep and Bilal walking toghether, and they look completely different except for ethnicity, people will still confuse them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by userunknown)
    The only question you have to ask yourself about this is "What did any of the officers involved with the shooting have to gain?", They had no personal gains to be made by killing this man apart from being involved in a lengthy enquiries and removal from active service. They had a judgement call to make and they made it. I know the incident is tragic but I feel those whose purpose it is to protect the public should not be punished for making wrong judgement calls. The processes that lead to these kind of incidents should be reviewed but that should be part of an ongoing process.
    Good luck keeping any job after making wrong judgment calls.

ReputationRep:
    As usual everyone is over simplifying this, how easy it seems for us to judge sitting here tapping away on our computers, from the comfort of our homes. Put yourselves in the policeman's shoes, actually try and place yourself on the spot where you've got to either kill one person or let 100's die including yourself. They *obviously* had reason enough to suspect he was up to no good and made the *correct* decision based on the situation. Afterall, the Police always take shooting people so lightly (Brazilian Police style) don't they! :rolleyes:

Andrew

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyukguy)
    As usual everyone is over simplifying this, how easy it seems for us to judge sitting here tapping away on our computers, from the comfort of our homes. Put yourselves in the policeman's shoes, actually try and place yourself on the spot where you've got to either kill one person or let 100's die including yourself. They *obviously* had reason enough to suspect he was up to no good and made the *correct* decision based on the situation. Afterall, the Police always take shooting people so lightly (Brazilian Police style) don't they! :rolleyes:

Andrew
    You are right about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudja)
    They knew he was innocent, he just came into the Tube to get a train, and he ends up in a pool of blood on the floor. The police murdered this guy when it was clearly evident he wasnt a bomber or a threat. Now they will stall the investigation, withheld documents that proved he was innocent because they are the true murderers!
    I don't believe they knew he was innocent at all. That's plain ridiculous.

"See that guy over there....well he definately isn't a terrorist.....but let's execute him anyway" :rolleyes:

They seriously screwed up and heads ought to roll but to say they knew he was innocent but decided to murder him anyway is utter nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    They *obviously* had reason enough to suspect he was up to no good and made the *correct* decision based on the situation.
    His crime was to live three doors down from a terrorist suspect. You are the one oversimplying the issue and trying to make out the police as angels. An error was made, an innocent life was wasted and now the police should take responsibility to ensure that it does not happen again.

ReputationRep:
    They made so many mistakes that justifying what they did because 'it was the only way to protect the public' is ridiculous...Some of you might want to read some statements fom the people involved...

ReputationRep:
    They *obviously* had reason enough to suspect he was up to no good and made the *correct* decision based on the situation.
    No they didn't...

Afterall, the Police always take shooting people so lightly (Brazilian Police style) don't they! :rolleyes:
    How is that relevant...

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know what to think about this anymore.

Question I hope someone who knows more about law than me can answer: where is the legal distinction between police (read: the state) having the authority to shoot people dead, but the state not having the authority to use capital punishment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Good luck keeping any job after making wrong judgment calls.
    I have made wrong judgement calls in the workplace I am 25 and I will do in the future, people make mistakes that's life. Aslong as you learn from them then it can only be of benefit.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2005
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.