The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
~Raven~
Has nobody bothered pointing out that a size 16 is average for a woman in Britain now? A size 12 was average in wartime when they were rationing - now its a 16. :smile:

So what, isn't the "average" person now obese? Just because its average doesn't mean its right.
Reply 21
You can't just say 16 is obese, you don't know how tall, how broad, how muscular a person is, they could be a perfectly healthy size 16.

To answer the initial question..try and get a regular routine of exercise at least 30 mins 3 times a week, more if you can. Maybe get some aerobics videos or join a gym/do a class. Something that gets your heart rate up, gets your blood pumping and gets you sweating so it can burn away the fat!

Have at least 8 glasses of water a day, eat regular healthy meals balancing fruit and veg, fibre, protein and "good" carbs (brown bread rather than white etc..less refined things). For snacks avoid choc/crisps and have a handful of raisins or an apple.

Walk a lot, maybe get a pedometer and try to do 10,000 steps a day.
Reply 22
Size 16 is no way obese. I'm size 16, and I'm only 5'7" but I'm still only just overweight for my height - obese is when it's seriously unhealthy for a person to be that large.

Also good advice above about eating habits - especially the water, at first it'll put your weight up but eventually it'll drop quite dramatically.
Reply 23
I never said size 16 was obese, read what I said :rolleyes:
Reply 24
imasillynarb
I never said size 16 was obese, read what I said :rolleyes:

Well you kinda did:

So what, isn't the "average" person now obese? Just because its average doesn't mean its right.

I said size 16 was average, n you said the average person was therefore obese, so you basically said size 16 is obese.
Also - what do you mean by isn't right? Isn't correct, or isn't good? Coz... I don't think it's really up to you to say whether it's right or not.
I wasn't having a go then... I may be now!
Reply 25
I was asking if the "average" person is now obese, which I think they are according to statistics?! Nothing to do with size 16 etc.

What I was getting at is, just because its average doesn't mean that they aren't overweight.
Reply 26
thanks u guys, uve put my confidence up now, im joining my local sport centre to do badminton/tennis and gonna try n but a aerobics dvd
Reply 27
I'm just worried aobut my girlfriend, I think she is a size 8 or 10 but has gone on a diet to fit into her clothes. Just wondering if that is healthy or normal
Reply 28
If shes having trouble putting on clothes, then shes probably put weight on, hence dieting.
Reply 29
i dont think it anythin to worry about, just that she doesnt need 2 diet at that size
do u eat alot of bread?
if you do try not eatng bread or lots of carbohydrates, i.e. potatoes corn etc for a week and you should loose weight.

plus if your problem is you eat too much as well, drink a full glass of water before every meal. that should get you slightly full up before u start to eat and thus eat less
Reply 31
do u eat alot of bread?
if you do try not eatng bread or lots of carbohydrates, i.e. potatoes corn etc for a week and you should loose weight.

plus if your problem is you eat too much as well, drink a full glass of water before every meal. that should get you slightly full up before u start to eat and thus eat less

Hey yeah i eat alot of break/potato, what about jacket potatos, r they ok to eat? n if i dont eat potatos, what do it eat? Rice or sumthin?
Reply 32
Cass88
Hey yeah i eat alot of break/potato, what about jacket potatos, r they ok to eat? n if i dont eat potatos, what do it eat? Rice or sumthin?

you need a balanced diet, but just don't fill up on bread, potatoes etc, rather have protein etc, because it is better for you and doesn't bloat you...
Reply 33
ok thanks for that matey :biggrin:
Cass88

no jacket potatoes no, full of carbohydrates which turn into fat bla bla bla bla. if i stop eating bread, rice and potatoes for a week i loose 2 kilos, and i weigh abt 54kgs

try not having dinner, that always helps, and if you are hungry, make yourself a salad with lettuce and cucumbers.

for breakfast eat fruit or vegetables, raw and for lunch have a proper meal.
in the afternoon if u get hungry have more raw vegetables, like a tomato or cucumber.

try the no bread,rice and potato diet for a week and ull see a difference.
Firstly, I don't think dress sizes are really an accurate reflection of someone's size....I have a friend who is really skinny but has wide hips so sometimes she has to get size 12 trousers...you should look more at weight/height/body fat %.

If you really want to lose weight, I'd recommend doing a diet such as GI or Weight Watchers. Weight Watchers isn't restrictive (you can eat what you want as long as you stay within your points allowance) and is an easy way to monitor exactly what you are eating. Also, because you have to meet your point allowance everyday (which varies depending on height/weight/age), it also stops you crash dieting and not eating enough of what your body needs.
Cass88
ok thanks for that matey :biggrin:

p.s. as a main mean try and have meat and vegetables.
kriztinae
no jacket potatoes no, full of carbohydrates which turn into fat bla bla bla bla. if i stop eating bread, rice and potatoes for a week i loose 2 kilos, and i weigh abt 54kgs

try not having dinner, that always helps, and if you are hungry, make yourself a salad with lettuce and cucumbers.

for breakfast eat fruit or vegetables, raw and for lunch have a proper meal.
in the afternoon if u get hungry have more raw vegetables, like a tomato or cucumber.

try the no bread,rice and potato diet for a week and ull see a difference.

There is nothing wrong with eating a jacket potato, it does not 'turn' into fat... it's just the balance of protein/carbohydrates which should be looked at. Potatoes, rice and bread can be essential to a healthy diet....after all, there are a lot of benefits to eating foods rich in carbohydrates, as long as it is done in moderation.
Drink water alot the recomended is at least 6 glasses of fluid a day - drinking alot of water also flushes toxins out of your body and makes you feel full. Alot of people don't know the difference between hunger and thirst.

Actually as I've written this all before on a different thread I'm just going to copy and paste it onto here.

Doom_and_Gloom

Tips I have that I use and find work really well :

1. Drink at least 6 glasses of fluid a day as it helps flush toxins and the like out of your body.

2. Try to avoid junk food the best you can but if you really want to you can have some junk food about 2-4 times a week this is so you don't get tempeted to much as you know you can still have it.

3. Snack on nuts, banana chips, seeds and the like during the day especially when you feel tempted and you don't want to have any junk.

4. If you feel hungry drink something first. Then wait a while. If you still feel hungry eat something - this means the feeling is hunger and not the confusion with thirst

5. Foods like Ryvita are helpfull for me as they are few in calories but just a few of them can fill me up as a snack between meals.

6. Eat fruit instead of chocolate as it has natural sugars in it, is healthier than chocolate and is just as sweet. Kiwis for example I find are sweeter than chocolate so I eat them instead.

7. Eat meals slowly to savour the taste and also so your brain can tell you when you are full so you can stop eating. If you eat fast your brain doesn't tell you till later that you are full. It takes about 20mins for the brain to register that you are actually full and don't need anymore food.

Remember to give your body enough so you don't feel tired at all. Excercise is the key with. When people say it is a good idea to excercise when you want to lose weight they are wrong. It is KEY to exercise when you want to lose weight. You could exercise all day but if you eat junk or to much you will get basically nowhere. If you eat well but don't exercise you may see a difference but it's most likely to be muscle which you don't want. In reality you want to build up your muscle while getting rid of fat. Muscle may weigh more but they help with your matabolism which will help you burn more as it takes the body more to stastain the muscles than it does to stastain fat.

Before I started doing this I was a size 14. Now I've been doing this a while I'm a size 8/10 so I know for a fact it works. I've also seen it work with a friend of mine who was a size 16/18 like you and she's now a size 12/14 but she works next to a burger king and eats there alot, however she has still lost quite alot of weight. It is a slow tedious process but it is worth it in the end when you really get to see the results.

Hope that all helps you. Just keep working at it and don't give up I know you can do it :smile: :hugs: . If you need anymore help just PM me or you can IM me if you want (my IM is on my profile thing if you want to). Keep us in check of how your doing over time ok :smile: .
Reply 39
hallucination
There is nothing wrong with eating a jacket potato, it does not 'turn' into fat... it's just the balance of protein/carbohydrates which should be looked at. Potatoes, rice and bread can be essential to a healthy diet....after all, there are a lot of benefits to eating foods rich in carbohydrates, as long as it is done in moderation.

exactly, what i was trying to say was... balance is the key to everything... don't take carbohydrates out of your diet, simply cut down on them if you are having them too often...

another useful tip, avoid cereal because it has loads of hidden sugars... try fruit or yougurt, or something natural and easy in the morning...

Latest

Trending

Trending