Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm soo worried right now. I phoned Kings College London through clearing and I met their minimum req. with BBD B in Economics, B in Computing and D in Maths.

Having spoken to one of the admission's tutors, she said that everything was fine and that if I came in I would be able to get my CEF signed. I clearly went through all my grades with her. Now when I went their today, it had B for Maths, instead of D. Now, they've made the mistake of having written B and telling me to come in. Now i'm on 21 points and they've put me on hold with a 50/50 chance of getting in. What the hell should I do? this weekend is going to drive me up the wall!!! I have a firm acceptence through clearing for Royal Holloway, Kent, City, Queen Mary's and Loughborough. Now Royal Holloway is probably the only likely one i'd go to as the others, apart from Loughborough aren't highly regarded in the tables.

I want to study Computer Science and even then I'm unsure as to whether Holloway will have a half decent dept. for Computer Science and whether it is behind King's in terms of reputation!? arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :confused:

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is I sympathise. I phoned up a course for Notts, the first time they told me my grades were acceptable (but I hadn't been released from my insurance) and the second time they said that i didn't (I believe the phrasing of the grade requirements on the Notts site was confusing.)

You seem like you really want to go to RH - do they do any similar courses to CS with lower grade requirements?

Can't help much, but here's a free bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenna_04)
    All I can say is I sympathise. I phoned up a course for Notts, the first time they told me my grades were acceptable (but I hadn't been released from my insurance) and the second time they said that i didn't (I believe the phrasing of the grade requirements on the Notts site was confusing.)

You seem like you really want to go to RH - do they do any similar courses to CS with lower grade requirements?

Can't help much, but here's a free bump
    The course is very similar, but i don't think they do the year in industry. I don't have a clue as to how good their department is? Not much is said on their site and i'm going to have to call them tomorrow. Still soo confused!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I meant to say you were keen on the KCL place, not RH. Still, I guess the adivce can apply to both unis.

For me, I decided I *definately* wanted to go to Notts, and made a list of courses in order of preferance that I wanted.

You need to make a decision what's most important for you (bearing in mind what's available) - uni or course (keeping in the back of your mind that they could still let you on the course you want).

As for reps - try using the search function on the forum, I'm sure something should come up about the rep of all those unis.

ReputationRep:
    was the D in maths because you effed up, or because you sucked at it? A good comp sci degree will need the maths.... you might want to reconsider if you can't do it, maybe to an IT degree. (of course, a lot of unis right now, as far as I can tell, are middling up the difference between the two...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenmuzz)
    A good comp sci degree will need the maths....
    Not nessecarily, I only have a D at AS level (the maths department sucked at my school, long story)
    I got into my firm choice at UEA for Comp Sci with no problems, they simply teach the maths you need in the first year. My insurance of Essex (didnt really want to end up there, but better than clearing) only insisted on having a B at GCSE level.

If you dont mind moving a bit further, I think theres still some UEA places on G400 left though clearing (www.uea.ac.uk/clearing). It generally regarded as one of the better places for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThugzMansion7)
    I'm soo worried right now. I phoned Kings College London through clearing and I met their minimum req. with BBD B in Economics, B in Computing and D in Maths.

Having spoken to one of the admission's tutors, she said that everything was fine and that if I came in I would be able to get my CEF signed. I clearly went through all my grades with her. Now when I went their today, it had B for Maths, instead of D. Now, they've made the mistake of having written B and telling me to come in. Now i'm on 21 points and they've put me on hold with a 50/50 chance of getting in. What the hell should I do? this weekend is going to drive me up the wall!!! I have a firm acceptence through clearing for Royal Holloway, Kent, City, Queen Mary's and Loughborough. Now Royal Holloway is probably the only likely one i'd go to as the others, apart from Loughborough aren't highly regarded in the tables.

I want to study Computer Science and even then I'm unsure as to whether Holloway will have a half decent dept. for Computer Science and whether it is behind King's in terms of reputation!? arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :confused:
    There is NOTHING wrong with going to Kent for Computer Science. The department there is fab - if you choose the sandwich degree option, you have the opportunity to go and work for Sun Microsystems in California in your 3rd year (providing you have decent results and pass the interviews). Admittedly I dropped out of Comp Sci at Kent but it was for personal reasons (I chose the wrong course in the first place)...the teaching there is first class and there are lots of opportunities to get involved with the department. I don't think you should disregard a course/university just because of the league tables. Anyway, it's not like Kent is not highly regarded in the industry...it is pretty well known for Comp Sci and there are lots of intelligent students there and active research groups.

ReputationRep:
    What are the chances of getting kings, realisticly?

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.