The Student Room Group

Unsure

Hey,
Well, to be brief, I wanted to be a vet for 14 years, and have been working as hard as I could to get the work experience etc for it. Have always loved history, more than I love science definitely, and have found I can really lose myself in it. Have always thought a history type degree would probably suit me better, but have been adamant about vetmed. I got my AS results yesterday. Not good... apart from history - I got an A, and full marks in one of my modules. Not sure if this is a rare thing or not, but I'm pretty pleased. Now it's confirmed I suppose, that my doubts were right.
I think I am going to start in September by continuing with history of course, and possibly English Lit, Politics, Eng Lang AS levels. Is this a good mix? Bare in mind that I am probably going to apply for either history or archaeolgy/anthrapology courses at uni.
Also, how much of an issue is work experience for these sorts of degrees? I have loads... but don't think that pig farming and vet surgeries are gonna be much use!
I would appreciate any advice as I am feeling like a total failure at the moment, and don't know what to think about the future anymore.
Well done to everyone who got their grades yesterday, and I'm sorry to anyone who didn't - Nobody deserves to feel like this!!

Thanks

Leigh
You dont need work experience, are you doing eng lit politics and lang as levels, or a2 levels? if it is a2 then yeah it is a good mix for history degree
Leigh
Hey,
Well, to be brief, I wanted to be a vet for 14 years, and have been working as hard as I could to get the work experience etc for it. Have always loved history, more than I love science definitely, and have found I can really lose myself in it. Have always thought a history type degree would probably suit me better, but have been adamant about vetmed. I got my AS results yesterday. Not good... apart from history - I got an A, and full marks in one of my modules. Not sure if this is a rare thing or not, but I'm pretty pleased. Now it's confirmed I suppose, that my doubts were right.
I think I am going to start in September by continuing with history of course, and possibly English Lit, Politics, Eng Lang AS levels. Is this a good mix? Bare in mind that I am probably going to apply for either history or archaeolgy/anthrapology courses at uni.
Also, how much of an issue is work experience for these sorts of degrees? I have loads... but don't think that pig farming and vet surgeries are gonna be much use!
I would appreciate any advice as I am feeling like a total failure at the moment, and don't know what to think about the future anymore.
Well done to everyone who got their grades yesterday, and I'm sorry to anyone who didn't - Nobody deserves to feel like this!!

Thanks

Leigh

English Lit, Politics and Eng Lang will complement History really well. :smile: If by 'how much of an issue is work experience for these sorts of degrees?' you are asking whether or not universities will accept people who haven't done History-related w/exp, the answer is yes. While working in a museum/with english heritage/NT etc might be a bonus, it really won't hinder your chances of getting into a particular uni. (My work experience, for example was with a local newspaper and the four-year-olds in my local primary school lol, a bit mixed and nothing to do with history!)

Just make sure you show how passionate you are about the subject in your PS, and ensure your grades are as good as they can be. Congratulations with your high A in history btw, you must be really pleased. :smile: Definitely don't feel like a failure - doing so well in history has shown you where your strengths lie, and you can build on that. If you feel you could've done better in modules in your other subjects, there is always the opportunity of retaking to boost your grade.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk any more about it, I'm happy to try and answer any questions if you have them. :smile:
Thanks for your advice :smile:
I'll keep your offer in mind White_RedRose
I am doing history A2 this year and 2xEng + Politics AS I think, but obv will do them as A2 next yr. Not sure what other sub would go well with history... :s-smilie:
History and Politics is a pukka mix!

Why do you feel like a failure? You got an A in your core subject!!

Latest

Trending

Trending