STEP 2005, how did you do? Watch

This discussion is closed.
tktaylor6
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
i am doing physics at my first choice uni in october, imperial. I didnt even apply to cambridge, or for maths, so i was just doing step for fun i got..

STEP I - 2
STEP II - 1 (wow cant belive i got that)
STEP III - 3 (was to be expected)

how did you guys do?
El Stevo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i know of a person with 6A's - all maths/sciences, all with UMS 570+, and applied to cambridge for maths. in his step practices he was getting the marks he needed, but in the real thing he ended up with 3,3 and so didnt meet his offer. seriously, he is going to be one of the best mathematicians of our generation, but he got unlucky.
ssmoose
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm in year 12 did STEP I and got a 3
TomX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by El Chueco)
i know of a person with 6A's - all maths/sciences, all with UMS 570+, and applied to cambridge for maths. in his step practices he was getting the marks he needed, but in the real thing he ended up with 3,3 and so didnt meet his offer. seriously, he is going to be one of the best mathematicians of our generation, but he got unlucky.
That must be really bad for him, imagine working hard all that time and not going to somewhere where I guess he was expected to go.

Possibly he may have not been very talented in terms of Maths, he could just remember things well and therefore pass GCSE's and A Levels. He could have somehow cheated whilst practicing STEP to give him confidence but when he had to do the real thing he couldn't cheat. Only a theory.
JohnSPals
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well, generally Cambridge (specifically Fitzwilliam) can f*** off. How dare they send me a rejecton letter through so it arrives on results day before I knew what I got. That's awful of them; they're lucky that I knew WHY I got rejected (a 3 and U in STEP ), otherwise that would really have unnerved me. If that's how I'd generally get treated, then I'm glad I'm not going.

I'll just take my five A's and AEA distinction to Warick instead .
FoxyStar
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That's very interesting I've seen quite a number of scientists doing STEP and end up with a pretty good result!

Well, I've got S's in all three papers, but STEP I was from 2004.
Font
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
you lot are soooo smart:eek:...cool
tktaylor6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
SSS?! my hat is off to you sir, where will you go to uni? cam i guess?
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TomX)
Possibly he may have not been very talented in terms of Maths, he could just remember things well and therefore pass GCSE's and A Levels. He could have somehow cheated whilst practicing STEP to give him confidence but when he had to do the real thing he couldn't cheat. Only a theory.
naw, he's not the sort of person to give himself false hopes, and though your theory may be plausible for your average A level student, this lad could do whatever he turned his hand to and do it well. yes he does have a good memory, but he understands completely what he is learning. he was one of the few people who was learning maths and not the syllabus. he jsut got unlucky thats all there is to it.
~Raphael~
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I got an S in STEP I :eek:
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~Raphael~)
I got an S in STEP I :eek:
Congratulations.
*Princess*
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
can some1 explain to me what the system of STEP scoring is plz?
Comp_Genius
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JohnSPals)
Well, generally Cambridge (specifically Fitzwilliam) can f*** off. How dare they send me a rejecton letter through so it arrives on results day before I knew what I got. That's awful of them; they're lucky that I knew WHY I got rejected (a 3 and U in STEP ), otherwise that would really have unnerved me. If that's how I'd generally get treated, then I'm glad I'm not going.

I'll just take my five A's and AEA distinction to Warick instead .
they knew your results about 4 days before 18th.
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think it goes from S being the best, to 3, which is the worst.
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by darkenergy)
I think it goes from S being the best, to 3, which is the worst.
You can get a U too
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
oh yeah!
UglyDuckling
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
anyone has the paper of STEP I and II from 2005 ? I would like to try it out ...
JohnSPals
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by darkenergy)
they knew your results about 4 days before 18th.
Doesn't mean to say that they MUST send letters out before the day we get our results.

I'd also be interested in seeing the 2005 papers again. Anyone got 'em?
Comp_Genius
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
that's very true. the letters should have arrived after results day.
AlphaNumeric
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by El Chueco)
If you've a decent ability in maths, then getting 570+ UMS points is not hard (well, for Cambridge maths students), and the same isn't far wrong for the sciences. The problem with A Levels is that they are somewhat robotic, you do not think very much for yourself, but instead "jump through hoops", answering questions which were asked the year before, but with slightly different numbers.

I'm not downplaying getting an A at A Level, its an acheivement certainly, but just because your friend got A's at A Level doesn't mean he's the best thing since sliced bread. STEP gives a much better test of someones ability, and even if your friend was somewhat unlucky with the questions that came up, if he was "going to be one of the best mathematicians of our generation" he'd still do well enough in STEP (or have impressed the interviewers so much that he got in anyway).

Its impossible to gauge accurately your ability compared to the top people in the country until you get to university. At my 6th form I was the best at maths by a long long way, even compared to people over the previous 5 years. When I got to Cambridge I found I was "middle of the road". To think you're going to be the best mathematician of your age because you did well at A Level (even 6 of them) is enormously arrogant and to be frank, ignorant, because you have no idea the playing field you're on and who you're up against. There are people at Cambridge who eat STEP for breakfast, who got SS during their 1st year in 6th form, and who walk a 1st. I think your friend would have had a HUGE shock if he'd got in.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (860)
80.37%
Leave (210)
19.63%

Watched Threads