Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I'm new on here and was wondering if anyone can help me out. Just found out im off to keele uni in september, and im just a little bit anxious that its going to be a bit meh...as its in the middle of nowhere. Anyone go or used to go there who can give me an idea of what to expect when im there, or how to make most of your time whilst at keele? Off to do Physiotherapy. Cheers x

ReputationRep:
    Have fun.(Sarcastic tone). Me at Keele-I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    :mad: dont take your personal vendetta on keele out on me. you cannot seriously say keele is crap, if you've never been to keele. how can you compare your experience at keele with one of the so called 'better' universities, if you've never been to either of them..? get a clue, and grow up.

also, get a hobby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squidge)
    :mad: dont take your personal vendetta on keele out on me. you cannot seriously say keele is crap, if you've never been to keele. how can you compare your experience at keele with one of the so called 'better' universities, if you've never been to either of them..? get a clue, and grow up.

also, get a hobby.
    Well said.

sophieliz, what exactly are your reasons for saying Keele's crap? You really haven't explained it properly. Surely, you're mature enough to respect another's decision to go to a uni they like and therefore, you shouldn't post in a thread going on about sh*t you think it is without a reason.

Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it wasn't so much the whole uni that I disliked (but once I start complaining I get *slightly* carried away), as when I visited I thought it was reasonable although not quite to my tastes. What really aggravated me was the attitude of the English staff. So it is probably an okish uni for most subjects, but certainly not English.

ReputationRep:
    So, just because the English staff didn't like you, you think Keele's rubbish for English? Hmm.. good luck at Nottingham then. And maybe for your search in unis thereafter.

ReputationRep:
    No, I think you misunderstand. The lecturer was very off-hand saying that the uni probably didn't have what I was looking for. I didn't apply but a friend did and her offer was almost unconditional (the grades she had achieved for AS level AAAA were enough for her to go there without even sitting A2s).

ReputationRep:
    How can an offer be 'almost' unconditional?!?? It's either conditional or unconditional - there's no mid-way.

That's a rather silly thing to say! I'm sure without sitting A2's she wouldn't have a place! No offence to your friend of course...

ReputationRep:
    By the way, out of curiosity - are you trying to get yourself banned? Because all you have to do is ask and I'll (and some other people!) will be more than happy to neg rep you all you like.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway probably best not to distact you from the original post which was a question: "Anyone go or used to go there who can give me an idea of what to expect when im there, or how to make most of your time whilst at keele? Off to do Physiotherapy."

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. yep, that's right. Run away.

Sorry, Squidge for hi-jacking your thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophieliz)
    Anyway probably best not to distact you from the original post which was a question: "Anyone go or used to go there who can give me an idea of what to expect when im there, or how to make most of your time whilst at keele? Off to do Physiotherapy."
    There isn't much point in telling you what to expect. Everyone is different. I knew 4 people in my halls who didn't go to the union ONCE, but they had a lot of fun. Likewise I knew people who were out every night. I don't know of anyone that dislikes Keele, everyone has had fun. Living in halls is the best experience of your life! It's a lot of fun (unless you're living in a block with a resident tutor). The union is good. Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays are good nights. Hanley is good on a Monday, and Newcastle is good on a Tuesday. The Sugarmill in Hanley is a must for all you rock fans. Friday's is indie night.

I can say that those who do medicine and pysiotherapy seem to stick together, because it's all very different to the dual honours that everyone else is doing in terms of timetables, and where you study!

Make sure you venture outside of campus. Life can get very boring otherwise!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Jo-x)
    How can an offer be 'almost' unconditional?!?? It's either conditional or unconditional - there's no mid-way.

That's a rather silly thing to say! I'm sure without sitting A2's she wouldn't have a place! No offence to your friend of course...
    I wouldn't have returned to this thread-Everyone would bve extremely happy no doubt, but I will just answer this question. Well the offer was made in terms of UCAS points. She had 240 ucas points from her AS levels alone and she was due to take an AEA award and the offer was 280 (this can include A Levels which are worth twice as much as AS levels) I think, so it wouldn't have taken her much to gain an extra 40 points.. In the end she ended up having gettiing 470 UCAS points (AAAab). Don't worry though-I'm trying to be reasonable and explain things as they are, but I've finished my wittering now.

ReputationRep:
    Uh, how many extra AS's did your friend do?

ReputationRep:
    well she did 4 ASs (240 points) in her first year and then did another in her final year as well an AEA exam for english.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophieliz)
    I wouldn't have returned to this thread-Everyone would bve extremely happy no doubt, but I will just answer this question. Well the offer was made in terms of UCAS points. She had 240 ucas points from her AS levels alone and she was due to take an AEA award and the offer was 280 (this can include A Levels which are worth twice as much as AS levels) I think, so it wouldn't have taken her much to gain an extra 40 points.. In the end she ended up having gettiing 470 UCAS points (AAAab). Don't worry though-I'm trying to be reasonable and explain things as they are, but I've finished my wittering now.
    Firstly, most offers for Keele are 320 ucas points and it will specify that you must have a B in a certain subject, and that they must include at least 2 a levels. Mine was, and all the people in my halls. Apart from for law, that was 280, but I think you still had to get one B and have 2 a levels.

ReputationRep:
    My offer was 360 points with a specified A in English - 3 As anyway if you're just doing 3 A-levels. As it happened, I did GS, an AS level and have a music award to add to that, so I was comfortably within, but that still means that in general you have to have a high standard in many different areas than merely the narrowness of A-levels.
    Overall, I think Keele offers a wider range of skills to learn (hence the dual honours), and so requires a wider range of abilities (hence the points offers).
    However, if your speciality is merely learning facts and spouting them well in exams, good for you.

ReputationRep:
    i got an unconditional offer from keele to study business admin and i only had 220 point!

btw, this was through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    That is weird cos her offer was definately only the equivalent of getting BCC at A2 level, yet your offer Poica is the same as getting AAA at A level-obviously quite a difference, although as you say that does include an AS level which makes it easier. Still quite a large difference between the offers though-I thought most universities were consistent. Universities are strange creatures!

ReputationRep:
    heh, thanks anyway, sophieliz for tryin to apologize for your rant.Everyone gets carried away sometimes. Just remember, us on the Keele page WILL defend its honour...mwuahahaha :cool:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.