The Student Room Group

En Suite or Shared Bathrooms?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CC2010
In halls for all 3 years (entering 3 year, this year).

1st year: En-suite
2nd year: Shared

3rd year? EN-SUITE!

what was shared like? did you get any bad experiences?
Reply 601
Original post by brownieboy
what was shared like? did you get any bad experiences?

Honestly? It was quite filthy but I learnt to ALWAYS wear flip flops and stick a broom under the door handle so no one could unlock it fro the outside and come and steal my towel! You just get used to it! However, our gym showers are AMAZING so my Flatmate and I would always shower thoroughly there and use the flat one for quick showers.

Spunk in the shower - which is where I drew the line. It only happened once but everyone sat down to discuss it and no one confessed. I made it clear that if it happened again, I'd report everyone unless someone confessed. The boys were a bit miffed with me but they got over it the next morning and it never happened again.

As long as you wear flip flops, give the shower a quick (or more, if necessary) once over before and after you go in - you should be fine :smile:

Also, generally you learn the "habits" of certain people and you begin to learn who to go in after or when to avoid it. For example our cleaners would come in 9am on a Thursday morning and clean the communal areas, including the bathroom. I learnt that while my flatmates are still asleep , and hungover from Frat night, I could get a decent shower.

Good luck x

This was posted from TSR's iPod App.
Original post by CC2010
Honestly? It was quite filthy but I learnt to ALWAYS wear flip flops and stick a broom under the door handle so no one could unlock it fro the outside and come and steal my towel! You just get used to it! However, our gym showers are AMAZING so my Flatmate and I would always shower thoroughly there and use the flat one for quick showers.

Spunk in the shower - which is where I drew the line. It only happened once but everyone sat down to discuss it and no one confessed. I made it clear that if it happened again, I'd report everyone unless someone confessed. The boys were a bit miffed with me but they got over it the next morning and it never happened again.

As long as you wear flip flops, give the shower a quick (or more, if necessary) once over before and after you go in - you should be fine :smile:

Also, generally you learn the "habits" of certain people and you begin to learn who to go in after or when to avoid it. For example our cleaners would come in 9am on a Thursday morning and clean the communal areas, including the bathroom. I learnt that while my flatmates are still asleep , and hungover from Frat night, I could get a decent shower.

Good luck x

This was posted from TSR's iPod App.

lol someguy took a dump in the shower....?? wtf??? i wish i applied for ensuite sooner now, regret living in a townhouse and sharing a bathroom with someone
Reply 603
I shared the bathroom with 3 people last year and everything was all fine since the cleaners did the whole work daily. I guess I was lucky to have 3 super clean roommates.
Reply 604
Original post by brownieboy
lol someguy took a dump in the shower....?? wtf??? i wish i applied for ensuite sooner now, regret living in a townhouse and sharing a bathroom with someone

I hate to break it to you, but spunk doesn't mean poo
Reply 605
This has been really useful for me thanks although I didn't post this.
I'm having a debate whether I should get en suite or not.
I am leaning towards getting an en suite, I feel more comfortable with that idea, expecially considering I live in a home where I share anyway, but they are people I know and I know how I work with the bathroom.
I'm worried I may have problems, especially after what I have heard here.
I will be starting as a first year next year hopefully.
Any suggestions???
Does the en suite make life easier as a first year or is it just a waste of money?
Can it really help with social life in the first year?
A coursemate is sharing with someone who NEVER flushes the toilet.. :unsure:
I live in private halls at Mercury Point in southampton and ALL the bedrooms have an en-suite bathroom here, and its nice! The uni halls don't all have ensuite and ive heard some horror stories:colondollar: it doesnt cost extra to have your own bathroom here, so id def recommend an ensuite halls :smile:
and i booked the room myself online, i didnt need to do it with the uni so i picked the ensuite choice! x0x
Reply 608
I'm not fussed, if it's cheaper then i'll just have to put up with my sharers pube covered sink :|||||||||||
Original post by Donnahh
If you're anything like me you'd want the ensuite. I couldn't bare sharing a bathroom with people I don't know - imagine them leaving un-identified hairs and all sorts :eek: I just couldn't do it. I'd rather pay the extra!

OOOOH thats how I feel :-) Plus it's a little bit more private and also I'm normally in the shower for like 20 minutes so I wouldn't have to hold people up with an En Suite :-)
This is what i'm thinking about :/ money or en-suite.

I keep thinking i've decided but every day I still question what I want. I think it all comes down to money, and until I work out how much I will have then it will be undecided.
Original post by Ali.R
Im really torn over what I want, I have enough (just about as I get an nhs bursery) for ensuite, but im not sure what I would want more my own bathroom or an extra 15-20 quid?

Ive been told by a friend that if I go for the more expensive places that there will be a lot of foreigners and mature students, not that I mind living with either at all I just wouldnt want to be the odd one out as ive been told that the average student tends to fight for the cheapest place.

I had the same dilema (I haven't started yet) My nhs bursery covers it all but leaves little money. My sister pursuaded me to go for the shared as I will only be sharing with a few others and the extra money means I can get a new laptop, printer and spend some money on decorating my room a bit :smile:

What did you go for in the end? and how was it?
So what are the shared bathrooms actually like? Are they like public or office toilets with cubicles, or are they more like decent toilets in restaurants with floor to ceiling walls?

I'll be in shared accommodation next year; I'm not too fussed (I've been sharing bathrooms in private accommodation for 3 years), and I have no choice anyway, but I am just curious. I think that postgrads deserve en-suites :tongue: but for £90pw I'm not going to complain.
Original post by Tpx
So what are the shared bathrooms actually like? Are they like public or office toilets with cubicles, or are they more like decent toilets in restaurants with floor to ceiling walls?

I'll be in shared accommodation next year; I'm not too fussed (I've been sharing bathrooms in private accommodation for 3 years), and I have no choice anyway, but I am just curious. I think that postgrads deserve en-suites :tongue: but for £90pw I'm not going to complain.

They're mostly just like normal bathrooms you would find in any other flat or house. Some have the toilet(s) and shower(s) in seperate rooms so people can still go to the toilet when the shower(s) are occupied and vice versa but I've never heard of halls with bathrooms like public toilets. They are homes after all.
First time at Uni but I'm going for en-suite. Who wants to share a bathroom with 6 other people first thing in a morning? That'll be pretty hectic.
Reply 615
Original post by _christianj
First time at Uni but I'm going for en-suite. Who wants to share a bathroom with 6 other people first thing in a morning? That'll be pretty hectic.

Not at all. Not everybody showers in the morning, plenty shower the night before.

Plus, in a flat of students it's very rare to have everybody having a shower at the same time. So you'll have 2 (maybe 3 if you're lucky) bathrooms probably to yourself at that time. When I wake up it's rare that I see anybody in the other shower, and I've never (in 2 years of being in shared bathroom accommodation) had to wait for the shower.

Edit - A neg for this!? I thought this was somewhere where people could give advice? :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Dan1909
Not at all. Not everybody showers in the morning, plenty shower the night before.

Plus, in a flat of students it's very rare to have everybody having a shower at the same time. So you'll have 2 (maybe 3 if you're lucky) bathrooms probably to yourself at that time. When I wake up it's rare that I see anybody in the other shower, and I've never (in 2 years of being in shared bathroom accommodation) had to wait for the shower.

I suppose. I guess it's just a preference that I have:smile:
Original post by Dan1909

Edit - A neg for this!? I thought this was somewhere where people could give advice? :s-smilie:

Certainly wasn't me!
Personally going for the en-suite, i dislike sharring my bathroom :tongue:
Reply 619
If I make it to university I'm going to sneak out at night to the en-suite accommodation houses and take a dump in one of the showers. Soon enough everyone who has an en-suite will sleep in fear of waking up in the morning with excrement in their showers or on the bathroom floor. :ninja:

I;d rather have more money than en-suite, more food damn right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending