The Student Room Group

En Suite or Shared Bathrooms?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
ManUtdDrumBoy
Ah thing is, I'd hate to have to pay back more but it sure sounds tempting!
I'll think about it :P

put it this way, cheapest loan youll ever get, may as well milk it!
in fact, i dont think you have a choice? actually, i think you do, i dont know, cant remember when i was filling in my finance forms, even if i did do it wrong!
JoshC
put it this way, cheapest loan youll ever get, may as well milk it!
in fact, i dont think you have a choice? actually, i think you do, i dont know, cant remember when i was filling in my finance forms, even if i did do it wrong!

Yeah you have a choice to have your household income be accounted for
I'm up to that stage now in my student finance and I'm just not sure :P

My maintenance loan would be significantly higher, with a maintenance grant included too but I would hate to have to pay it back!
Reply 82
ManUtdDrumBoy
Yeah you have a choice to have your household income be accounted for
I'm up to that stage now in my student finance and I'm just not sure :P

My maintenance loan would be significantly higher, with a maintenance grant included too but I would hate to have to pay it back!

have you tried the finance calculator? might be worth seeing how much youre actually entitled for. I think though that there is a part which says youre allowed this much, how much would you like as a loan. im really sure thats there. because then you could go non means tested, and get the grant as well as a loan, but you pick the loan amount.

looking at the sheet i have in front of me, it has a 'maximum loan available' box, and a 'loan requested' box. so i think its right
JoshC
have you tried the finance calculator? might be worth seeing how much youre actually entitled for. I think though that there is a part which says youre allowed this much, how much would you like as a loan. im really sure thats there. because then you could go non means tested, and get the grant as well as a loan, but you pick the loan amount.

looking at the sheet i have in front of me, it has a 'maximum loan available' box, and a 'loan requested' box. so i think its right

Yeah I'm up to the stage in the application where you choose between means tested or non means tested
It shows the different amounts of money that I'm entitled to based on both situations
Without the household income taken into account, the loan is 3564
With the household income, the loan is around 4400 including a grant of about 1000

Paying back 4400 is going to be difficult :eek:
Reply 84
ManUtdDrumBoy
Yeah I'm up to the stage in the application where you choose between means tested or non means tested
It shows the different amounts of money that I'm entitled to based on both situations
Without the household income taken into account, the loan is 3564
With the household income, the loan is around 4400 including a grant of about 1000

Paying back 4400 is going to be difficult :eek:

to be honest, its not that much more than 3564, and im sure you can change the 4400 to 3564 if you wanted to and still get the 1000 grant.

also, you dont pay it back until you earn £15k a year, and it gets cleared when you turn 50
JoshC
to be honest, its not that much more than 3564, and im sure you can change the 4400 to 3564 if you wanted to and still get the 1000 grant.

also, you dont pay it back until you earn £15k a year, and it gets cleared when you turn 50

I'll probably get it means tested, I could really do with the extra money!

Thing is, I don't want to be living on 15k a year :biggrin:
Reply 86
ManUtdDrumBoy
I'll probably get it means tested, I could really do with the extra money!

Thing is, I don't want to be living on 15k a year :biggrin:

oh no you wont be, thats just the minimum you have to earn before you start paying it back. When you do earn that much you pay about £5 back a week i think. Obviously if you earn more, youll pay more back, but its basically no interest.

id definitely go for it
Reply 87
Call me stupid, but won't you have to share a bathroom in your 2nd and 3rd years with flatmates anyway?
Reply 88
JayAyy
Call me stupid, but won't you have to share a bathroom in your 2nd and 3rd years with flatmates anyway?

yeh but the argument would be, youd know the people so theyre more likely to be more hygienic.
Reply 89
JoshC
yeh but the argument would be, youd know the people so theyre more likely to be more hygienic.

But the counter argument would be:

Regardless of you knowing the person, you won't actually know their bathroom habits, unless you actually go into their bathroom and inspect for yourself. Woulnd't you be more hygenic in your 2nd year if you shared a bathroom in your 1st? Because at least you can pick out those who have crap habits and everything, and go with the clean people?
Reply 90
JayAyy
But the counter argument would be:

Regardless of you knowing the person, you won't actually know their bathroom habits, unless you actually go into their bathroom and inspect for yourself. Woulnd't you be more hygenic in your 2nd year if you shared a bathroom in your 1st? Because at least you can pick out those who have crap habits and everything, and go with the clean people?

true.

tbh, i dont see the big deal lol. All these people saying 'i take too long in the shower' 'im doing it to save my flatmates' 'blah blah blah', theres normally always more than one shower, and more than one toilet. especially in newer accommodation.
JayAyy

That's assuming that you decide to move off campus and live with other people in a houseshare. :/
RedRevolver
That's assuming that you decide to move off campus and live with other people in a houseshare. :/

In most universities, you have to move off campus after 1st year, and it's often too expensive to not live in a houseshare. :/
Reply 93
See, when I first applied for uni last year, I didn't consider anything other than en-suite despite the slightly hideous cost.. But I'm applying again this year, and I'm not really bothered now. In the knowledge that the bathrooms and loos at UEA have recently been done up, that the cleaners are pretty efficient, and that I'll save about £800.. yeah, I think I can deal with a few unflushed loos and stray pubes.
Reply 94
YES
Especially after hearing stories from a friend about someone leaving them in such a state they end up being closed up to 4 times a week leaving them with 1 toilet for 15 people.
Yes this is extreme but i wouldn't want to take the chance
Reply 95
im going for en-suite. where i am they're all that but i want that to be the one luxury and piece of privacy that i have.
I'll be getting an En-suite. Although I wouldn't be bothered if I had to share. The only reason I'm going for En-suite is because you can shower/bath when ever you want; without having to wait for others. Other peope will need to shower before lectures and I don't want to wait/skip.

Secondly, I can keep it as clean/dirty as I want. I can feel good that it's only my butt cheecks that have been on there.
Reply 97
For those who have lived in or are currently living in student accommodation with shared bathrooms: do you not worry about your poo smelling? I am finding it hard to decide on what accommodation to choose and this is my only draw back to the shared bathroom option
Well, frankly it's not a problem but if it bothers you remember:

1) Oust/Air Freshener

2) Flush it away straight away if you plan on sitting for an extended time.

That way there shouldn't be any lingering unpleasantness.
Reply 99
Yafula
For those who have lived in or are currently living in student accommodation with shared bathrooms: do you not worry about your poo smelling? I am finding it hard to decide on what accommodation to choose and this is my only draw back to the shared bathroom option

I'm surprised I never saw this question come up on TSR, although im sure its been asked before. This should be the msot important question regarding accommodation along with "doesnt the smell of others' poo make u sick?"

But i guess the truth is, not always do toilets stink if flushed at the right time and so long as the user doesn't have an upset stomach.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending