Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've read lots of posts from people with nearly perfect records and who still got rejected. I was wondering, if you're one of them could you post (if you don't mind):

Course:
    College:
    Why you should have been accepted:

Thanks so much. I have a bad feeling that I too will be rejected and I see so many people better than me getting rejected.. this world ain't fair! Well boo. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilsunflower)
    Hey, I've read lots of posts from people with nearly perfect records and who still got rejected. I was wondering, if you're one of them could you post (if you don't mind):

Course:
    College:
    Why you should have been accepted:

Thanks so much. I have a bad feeling that I too will be rejected and I see so many people better than me getting rejected.. this world ain't fair! Well boo. Thanks
    When everyone has nearly perfect/excellent grades and other stuff, it's so difficult to distinguish between them so it all comes down to interviews. Getting good grades doesn't mean those people can think on their feet and can be challenged and discuss face to face, and I think it also depends on some luck.

In my interview there's a sheet saying something like "Please don't try to judge whether your interview has gone well/badly, because you can't tell"

ReputationRep:
    Everybody tells you that you can't tell... and they're not lying! As I discovered today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akk713)
    When everyone has nearly perfect/excellent grades....
    Not true -- Oxbridge have accepted some people with grades as low as 4A* 3A 2B or similar at GCSE and AABB at AS.

ReputationRep:
    but they reject ppl with 6A and 3B at GCSE like me.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Not true -- Oxbridge have accepted some people with grades as low as 4A* 3A 2B or similar at GCSE and AABB at AS.
    I got 4A* 4A 2B at GCSE and AAAAB initially at AS and I was accepted. Just goes to show that grades aren't everything. Some people withg poorer grades might actually show more potential.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    I got 4A* 4A 2B at GCSE and AAAAB initially at AS and I was accepted. Just goes to show that grades aren't everything. Some people withg poorer grades might actually show more potential.

AAAAB initially at AS is considered to be good i thought ....even by oxbridge standards.....thats what i got..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matouwah)
    AAAAB initially at AS is considered to be good i thought ....even by oxbridge standards.....thats what i got..
    haha yeh! Your grades were excellent. What are you talking about? Lolz.. Congrats btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)

Yep that's exactly what I was trying to say -- Oxbridge doesn't seem to take that much notice of grades either way, so it is wrong to think that everyone applying (or at least everyone getting offers) has near-perfect grades.

When thier own websites says that grades are not the only selection factor and that great GCSE grades are not a prerequisite for entry I think that we can safely assume that just because someone has a reams of A*'s and A's it does not mean that they deserve entry. It's true that Oxbridge does like to see high achivement (duhh!) but I'm sure that they wouldn't just dismiss someone because of one factor such as thier GCSE grades. I (for one) am happy that the current selection process takes into account more than just grades.

People DO get into Oxbridge with B's and C's at GCSE and less than perfect AS/A2 grades and it would be wrong to change the system so that they did not!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    When thier own websites says that grades are not the only selection factor and that great GCSE grades are not a prerequisite for entry I think that we can safely assume that just because someone has a reams of A*'s and A's it does not mean that they deserve entry. It's true that Oxbridge does like to see high achivement (duhh!) but I'm sure that they wouldn't just dismiss someone because of one factor such as thier GCSE grades. I (for one) am happy that the current selection process takes into account more than just grades.

People DO get into Oxbridge with B's and C's at GCSE and less than perfect AS/A2 grades and it would be wrong to change the system so that they did not!!!

I CONCUR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Aye, I got 3A* 2A 2B 1C and received an offer this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Aye, I got 3A* 2A 2B 1C and received an offer this year.
    and i got...a whopping....4A,2B,3C {i was young and having fun at the tine }

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    and i got...a whopping....4A,2B,3C {i was young and having fun at the tine }
    And I got an amazing............1A*, 4A, 3B, 1C............Everyone else who applied had better GCSE than me, but I don't think it would be fair if I automatically had no chance because of my grades

ReputationRep:
    Oi Veedy! Yours are better than mine

ReputationRep:
    I have been rejected from Bath university even though excepted by York, Durham and Oxford. Not sure if I deserve to have got a Bath offerm but am a little annoyed all the same, interesting course. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nero076)
    I have been rejected from Bath university even though excepted by York, Durham and Oxford. Not sure if I deserve to have got a Bath offerm but am a little annoyed all the same, interesting course. Oh well.
    From what did York, Durham and Oxford except you?

ReputationRep:
    My Grandfather says you cannot learn common sense no matter how intelligent you are. Some people aren't good communicators either and lack social skills. Maybe these are reasons people get rejected from Universities or maybe it's just luck.

(Original post by happysunshine)
    My Grandfather says you cannot learn common sense no matter how intelligent you are. Some people aren't good communicators either and lack social skills. Maybe these are reasons people get rejected from Universities or maybe it's just luck.
    It has to be, if everything were based on grades I would not be allowed in the city of Nottingham, let alone the Uni!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    It has to be, if everything were based on grades I would not be allowed in the city of Nottingham, let alone the Uni!!!
    And I wouldn't be at uni either!

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.